Thank you, 13 seconds

Success

The road to winning a Super Bowl will never be easier than it was last year. You can think whatever you want, but last year was the best chance they will ever have. Josh Allen was playing better than any quarterback in the history of the NFL playoffs and coaching shut it down immediately.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, phypon said:

That's a really good point, OP.  There is a lot of talent that we would not have acquired were it not for that melt down.  It still hurts, but you've def found a huge silver lining and it does take a bit of the sting out of it.  This team is ready to roll this season from a talent perspective.  Hopefully the coaches have learned a lot as well and up their game.

That's a good point about the coaching. We all know that it was bad at the end.  I was so over-the-top euphoric on the Bills' last TD.  I like to think that coaches are immune to that and are all about business, but I truly believe they got caught up in the moment, and it led to a few clear errors. Rushing 4 really stands out to me.

Maybe this is a "hope" thread, when I really think about it.  I hope it was a galvanizing moment for Beane, McD, and the whole coaching staff and team. I hope it's something we look back on and can say, "In a weird way, I'm glad that happened, because it led to....."

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm not sure it'll be remembered fondly in any context.  

But I hope it becomes kind of like Ronnie Harmon's drop: the heartbreaking mishap that preceded the greatness.  

Except this time the greatness includes Lombardis.  

The Bills/Chiefs divisional game is one of the greatest games every played.

But they didn't learn anything there that they shouldn't have been able to otherwise deduce.........and the issues in that game were not the same as the reasons why they were on the road in the first place........so fixating on just the issues in that game would be dumb.

I agree about hoping it becomes like "the drop" game because that game was the most compelling AFC playoff game they played in.......aside from the Comeback Game.........during that run.

The rest of the Kelly era playoff games were a combination of blowouts or snoozers.......a sleep walk win over Denver in the 1991 AFCCG and some disgusting losses at Pittsburgh and at home to Jax.  

That Cleveland game was a game where they needed pinball numbers from their stars........and they got it.     Ideally they win a SB or many in the next 5 years and that they don't have to play a game that closely contested to do it. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

Mines more like **** 13 seconds, my life would be better if I never thought of it again.

But thank you von Miller, beane, and I will thank kc for getting rid of tyreek Hill!

The effect that dude has on a team is incalculable. If Cinci has him, they win SB. Same with us, San Fran. Maybe GB. Even if he turns in 3 catches, 48 yards, he amplifies everyone else that much. Imo, of course

Edited by BillsShredder83

People keep saying if we win the SB it will erase the pain of 13 seconds. But did it hurt saints fans any less when Diggs caught the Min miracle or the no-call PI because they already won one? Or the INT in the SEA V NE super bowl? 

Even if we win one I’m still gonna be pissed we don’t have two 

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Oy, enough with the 13 seconds, already.  I almost wish we had an Omega 13 to help change the outcome so people would stop lamenting ad nauseum.

Such an underrated movie.

I seperate Beane from 13 seconds. A cluster of endgame coaching errors must be used as motivation for McDermott.  Use that evening as a testament  that it will never happen again. Beane has filled 98% of the holes. Hopefully the OL can rise up. 1 thru 53, this should be the best Bills team ever assembled. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

Doesnt right the wrong that was done in that (<) seconds. we woulda won that SB hands down.  Problem was coaching.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They didn't collapse in those 13 seconds because of a lack of talent on the roster....

I also blame coaching for 13 seconds but that doesn't invalidate the original poster's thesis.

The team identified areas where they needed to improve and acted accordingly.

Losers dwell on failures. Winners learn from them.

McBeane don't look like losers to me.

1 hour ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

People keep saying if we win the SB it will erase the pain of 13 seconds. But did it hurt saints fans any less when Diggs caught the Min miracle or the no-call PI because they already won one? Or the INT in the SEA V NE super bowl? 

Even if we win one I’m still gonna be pissed we don’t have two 

Something that happens after a team has won its first Super Bowl isn't the same thing as something that happens before a team has won its first Super Bowl.

14 hours ago, Dopey said:

Guys, stop it. We lost. No guarantee we would have won the next game, much less the SB. About as bad as Kyle Brandt calling us the next SB champs. 

If I was 6'8" instead of 5'8" I would have been a HOF basketball player.

😂😂😂

Better chance of being a Bill Murry than HoF basketball player.  I do think his hat would look good on you.

Edited by Limeaid
deleted duplicate post
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane has been obsessed with building a championship dynasty from the start of his time here.  If the 13 second collapse hadn't happened, and the Bills managed to beat the Bengals in Orchard Park (pretty sure that would have happened) and the Rams (better than even odds that would have happened too), he would STILL have been back to work.  13 seconds or no, there were flaws on the Bills team revealed during the season, and Beane would have understood better than we what the problems were and how to fix them.

I'm not yet convinced the O line is strong enough, and the changes to the D line sound so far like the attempts every year to make it better -- which haven't really paid off.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Success said:

There is another universe where we held on in that game, and Beane took a different approach to the offseason because of it.

A loss like that can either ruin a team, or make it one of the best ever. Fortunately, we have a GM who treated it as a challenge.  Everything that hurt the Bills in that game and in general has been addressed.  Beane has made a guarantee with every offseason move:  that will not happen again.

The D-line is better, our pass rush is better, our secondary is better, our running game is better, our pass protection is better, our passing game is better.  And yes, our punting and special teams, too.

You can't remove doubt, but you can minimize it.  

13 seconds won't be wide right, or the MCM. Those were exclusively pain.  13 seconds will be remembered fondly as when it really began.

Nope.

I will never forget 13 seconds. Ever.

Pathetic and should’ve never happened.

6 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

The road to winning a Super Bowl will never be easier than it was last year. You can think whatever you want, but last year was the best chance they will ever have. Josh Allen was playing better than any quarterback in the history of the NFL playoffs and coaching shut it down immediately.

Spot on.

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't agree. They lost to KC the year before and corrected some weaknesses, too. They're going to correct weaknesses every offseason. This changes nothing.

Last year's team came alive in the 2nd half of the Tampa Bay game. 

This year's team will need to come together over something else.

The only thing the 13 seconds affected was coaching. McD and Frasier needed to learn from that.

McD's like 50 and has been coaching for 20+ years...he had to learn to squib it there and that we didn't need to protect the sideline? 

That's what's scary to me...I don't think it was a learning thing, he just flat out choked in a big moment. He did it vs the Chiefs the year before too. If it's a learning thing and he didn't know any of that, I think that's pretty scary too. 

I still think people are actually way too easy on MCD. #17 left his blood and guts out there and our coach was unprepared and wasn't up to the task. He talks big about preparation and work ethic but I don't see that at a championship level from him. Hopefully we'll still be good enough and with JA magic we can still win it. 

• Dislike 1

11 hours ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

Doesnt right the wrong that was done in that (<) seconds. we woulda won that SB hands down.  Problem was coaching.

The same coaching could have also faltered in the AFCC or the SuperBowl too.   Just Saying !

• Like (+1) 1

I'm just gonna keep posting this anytime someone brings up that game....

Several factors contributed to the loss

1) 13 seconds

2) they had all three time outs left

3) they had Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill

4) some Bills players and coaches were already celebrating on the sidelines like the game was over

5) they only needed a FG to tie and go to OT. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.