Thank you, 13 seconds

Success

There is another universe where we held on in that game, and Beane took a different approach to the offseason because of it.

A loss like that can either ruin a team, or make it one of the best ever. Fortunately, we have a GM who treated it as a challenge.  Everything that hurt the Bills in that game and in general has been addressed.  Beane has made a guarantee with every offseason move:  that will not happen again.

The D-line is better, our pass rush is better, our secondary is better, our running game is better, our pass protection is better, our passing game is better.  And yes, our punting and special teams, too.

You can't remove doubt, but you can minimize it.  

13 seconds won't be wide right, or the MCM. Those were exclusively pain.  13 seconds will be remembered fondly as when it really began.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 12

13 minutes ago, Success said:

There is another universe where we held on in that game, and Beane took a different approach to the offseason because of it.

A loss like that can either ruin a team, or make it one of the best ever. Fortunately, we have a GM who treated it as a challenge.  Everything that hurt the Bills in that game and in general has been addressed.  Beane has made a guarantee with every offseason move:  that will not happen again.

The D-line is better, our pass rush is better, our secondary is better, our running game is better, our pass protection is better, our passing game is better.  And yes, our punting and special teams, too.

13 seconds won't be wide right, or the MCM. Those were exclusively pain.  13 seconds will be remembered fondly as when it really began.

my honest reaction? ***exhale**** I'm not ready to be grateful for 13 seconds yet. But I like the outside the box thought. And the framing in my mind could shift...depending on next season of course as your premise states. Ever onward and UPward Mateys !!! GO BILLS!~!~!!!

m

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That's a really good point, OP.  There is a lot of talent that we would not have acquired were it not for that melt down.  It still hurts, but you've def found a huge silver lining and it does take a bit of the sting out of it.  This team is ready to roll this season from a talent perspective.  Hopefully the coaches have learned a lot as well and up their game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Success said:

Hey, I gotta say that this is a great observation.   We just watched Beane for the past three or four days, and he showed how the organization is reacting to the 13 seconds.   Beane killed it - he worked his butt off, and was creative, to get guys who should make a difference.  If Beane reacted to the 13 seconds, how do you think McDermott is doing?   He's been working for a couple of months already, demanding of himself that the team will get better.   Coaching changes designed to get better.  This organization is being driven forward by a desire to succeed that got a jolt when they let that game go.  If Beane was cranked up the way he was, you can be sure that McDermott is that way and more.   And the coaches and the players all are motivated that way.  

This team could end up being scary good.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Success said:

Unfortunately, we don’t really know how much better our DL will be this Year. I think you can say it will be better but just being better than last year’s DL is no Super Bowl guarantee. “ You win and lose on the lines,” someone pretty smart once said. I think if you combine that with, “whoever has the best QB wins,” and take them 50/50 you’re coming close to the truth. We need our three young ends to take big steps this year, imho… Beane also has to be right about our three new DTs. They have to be very good, imho… I like that all four of our defensive tackles can push the pocket and/or can penetrate. I think we went into FA looking for tackles that can effect the pass and succeeeded I just don’t know by how much. IHmo, we have to do a lot better job harassing good QBs. That’s everyone along the line. If it is just Von that’s talented at getting to the QB we’re completely screwed. If Ed can take big advantage or defenses paying attention to Von that’d be excellent. If Groot can win his one on one matchups a lot better than last year that would be awesome. It really is about the whole DL winning one on one matchups. If we can do that, I think we can win the Super Bowl.

On offense, it looks like we have a better front five than we have had in years. It is the depth that is the big question. I sure Kromer can develop this line and the backups as I was expecting an OG by the sixth rd. and we didn’t get it done. Clearly Beane likes our depth so I feel OK about it, but I will feel better seeing this team this summer (even though preseason is completely meaningless)) I would like to see our backup OL look coordinated and competitive.

pour Achilles Heals are the same as last year I think. Lose a starting outside corner, losing an outside WR (Davis or Diggs) or losing an OT would be pretty devastating to us…. I’d add Von Miller to the list and of course all bets are off without Josh… Is this different from any other team? Probably not, but some teams have depth on the outside at one outside position or another. The Bills really don’t unless it develops this summer. Maybe AJ or Boogie will explode this fall? Or Doyle takes a massive step? Who knows?  Maybe Stevenson tears it up this summer? I hope so!

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

If we win that game we are favorites to win the SB. There is probably a Lombardi on display at OBD right now. 

We don't need to be thankful for 13 seconds resulting in us building a SB caliber team.... because we already had one, and blew it. 

Pretty silly. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Success said:

Oy, enough with the 13 seconds, already.  I almost wish we had an Omega 13 to help change the outcome so people would stop lamenting ad nauseum.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't agree. They lost to KC the year before and corrected some weaknesses, too. They're going to correct weaknesses every offseason. This changes nothing.

Last year's team came alive in the 2nd half of the Tampa Bay game. 

This year's team will need to come together over something else.

The only thing the 13 seconds affected was coaching. McD and Frasier needed to learn from that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Guys, stop it. We lost. No guarantee we would have won the next game, much less the SB. About as bad as Kyle Brandt calling us the next SB champs. 

If I was 6'8" instead of 5'8" I would have been a HOF basketball player.

😂😂😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Guys, stop it. We lost. No guarantee we would have won the next game, much less the SB. About as bad as Kyle Brandt calling us the next SB champs. 

If I was 6'8" instead of 5'8" I would have been a HOF basketball player.

😂😂😂

6'8" wouldn't have been enough for me.   6'11", maybe.

I actually think it's a good point.   I think we could see how focused and motivated Beane was.  McDermott is at least as motivated.  And the players.  Their level of intensity is cranked up, for sure.  Just like Beane, everyone else wants to get better.  It will make a difference.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

If we win that game we are favorites to win the SB. There is probably a Lombardi on display at OBD right now. 

We don't need to be thankful for 13 seconds resulting in us building a SB caliber team.... because we already had one, and blew it. 

Pretty silly. 

Opinions vary on that. There is no way to really know.

Myself, the Rams were the team I feared the most. They were a much tougher match-up for us than KC, imo.  I have a hard time seeing Wallace and Jackson covering OBJ and Kupp, and that pass rush would have been the best JA faced.

Not saying I wouldn't have wanted the chance. But now if we make it to the big game, there will be much less doubt.  This roster is so much better than what we had just a few months ago.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.