BREAKING: SCOTUS to overturn Roe?

11 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What? You think the entire medical establishment is purposely ignoring the problem of miscarriages? Sure they are. That makes sense. Again…ridiculous! 

I think that if one believes that a human zygote is equivalent to a child, there is not nearly enough effort, considering the millions of deaths. Again, it in something on the magnitude of at least 1/4 (likely much more) of all deaths in usa each year. 

i mean, if the medical community really considered zygotes living children, there is no question in my mind that efforts to reduce miscarriage would be pushed hard. And those that do consider zygotes = child should also pour at least some of their efforts into that travesty.

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It didn’t read like that was your point originally. 

Sorry i wasn't clear.

Edited by dickleyjones

17 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

I think that if one believes that a human zygote is equivalent to a child, there is not nearly enough effort, considering the millions of deaths. Again, it in something on the magnitude of at least 1/4 (likely much more) of all deaths in usa each year. 

i mean, if the medical community really considered zygotes living children, there is no question in my mind that efforts to reduce miscarriage would be pushed hard. And those that do consider zygotes = child should also pour at least some of their efforts into that travesty.

Sorry i wasn't clear.

Sounds to me like you’ve got a career path laid out for yourself. Become a doctor and get to work. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

I thought we were talking less than 8 weeks, the point was about human zygotes being equal to a child.

Again, at less than 8 weeks, few know they're pregnant anyway.  And if an embryo fails to survive, it was meant to be.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Again, at less than 8 weeks, few know they're pregnant anyway.  And if an embryo fails to survive, it was meant to be.

My wife knew after missing her first period normally 4 weeks.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

not knowing they're pregnant, that's true, but if there is a miscarriage the human zygote still dies. it doesn't matter if you know or not.

"meant to be" wtf is that supposed to mean? in a medical context coming from a medical professional, no less.

1 minute ago, dickleyjones said:

not knowing they're pregnant, that's true, but if there is a miscarriage the human zygote still dies. it doesn't matter if you know or not.

"meant to be" wtf is that supposed to mean? in a medical context coming from a medical professional, no less.

Meaning there is some problem with the fetus, typically genetic.  

• Like (+1) 1

So if I’m reading these last few pages correctly the Left has already moved on from trying to promote abortion to instead trying to stop miscarriages? Well this latest week of ‘hair on fire’ liberal outrage didn’t last very long. Next? 

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Meaning there is some problem with the fetus, typically genetic.  

sometimes it is genetic, sometimes not. many (if not all) possibly avoidable ie not "meant to be".

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So if I’m reading these last few pages correctly the Left has already moved on from trying to promote abortion to instead trying to stop miscarriages? Well this latest week of ‘hair on fire’ liberal outrage didn’t last very long. Next? 

one person (me) is "the left" now? why do conversations always have to devolve this way?

1 minute ago, dickleyjones said:

sometimes it is genetic, sometimes not. many (if not all) possibly avoidable ie not "meant to be".

one person (me) is "the left" now? why do conversations always have to devolve this way?

Dickie….don’t blame me. You took it down this odd cul-de-sac. Let’s see who ends up being right. The American people simply cannot take week after week of outrage. These stories all tend to burn themselves out. We’ve all seen it, time and time and time again. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

No, it’s on me.  I misread “medical community” as “god”. 

ah, that was purely theoretical for those who do believe.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Avoidable...how?  

some things we could do now to help (eg early detection of pregnancy, regular testing). others we need more research (eg genetic manipulation, uterine structure, autoimmune disease).

certainly more can be done.

Infant mortality per 1,000 live births, 2017  Infant mortality (the death of an infant within the first year of life) is a widely-reported indicator of population health.

United States
Canada
France
United Kingdom
Belgium
Netherlands
Switzerland
Comparable Country Average
Australia
Germany
Austria
Sweden
Japan   Note: 2016 data shown for Japan

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/chart-collection/infant-mortality-u-s-compare-countries/#Infant mortality per 1,000 live births, 2017

looks like the US needs universal healthcare like the rest of the civilized world

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Dickie….don’t blame me. You took it down this odd cul-de-sac. Let’s see who ends up being right. The American people simply cannot take week after week of outrage. These stories all tend to burn themselves out. We’ve all seen it, time and time and time again. 

i did. and i agree it is odd although we aren't talking about a straightforward question.

as for american outrage - i thought constant outrage was your thing. right or left, it's outrage pretty much 24/7.

29 minutes ago, ALF said:

Infant mortality per 1,000 live births, 2017  Infant mortality (the death of an infant within the first year of life) is a widely-reported indicator of population health.

United States
Canada
France
United Kingdom
Belgium
Netherlands
Switzerland
Comparable Country Average
Australia
Germany
Austria
Sweden
Japan   Note: 2016 data shown for Japan

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/chart-collection/infant-mortality-u-s-compare-countries/#Infant mortality per 1,000 live births, 2017

looks like the US needs universal healthcare like the rest of the civilized world

It would certainly reduce the number Americans traveling to Edmonton for medical treatment, that’s for certain. 

50 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

some things we could do now to help (eg early detection of pregnancy, regular testing). others we need more research (eg genetic manipulation, uterine structure, autoimmune disease).

certainly more can be done.

Again there is only so much you can do.  There are workarounds like in vitro, surrogates, and (in the future) selective gene manipulation.

6 hours ago, dickleyjones said:

i did. and i agree it is odd although we aren't talking about a straightforward question.

as for american outrage - i thought constant outrage was your thing. right or left, it's outrage pretty much 24/7.

Thanks your concern…I’m fine actually! I’ve yet to burn anything down, topple a statue, loot a liquor store or anything close.