BREAKING: SCOTUS to overturn Roe?

32 minutes ago, BillStime said:

It has nothing to do with children - it’s all about political wins at the expense of children.

So it’s this tweeters opinion that women are having abortions because they don’t get paid leave ? 😂😂😂

On 5/6/2022 at 11:31 AM, 716er said:

That middle ground is Roe. Over 70% of Americans are behind that decision.

At the risk of speaking a bit too broadly and dichotomously, I think this is the crux of the debate’s heat: each side somehow believes they’re the ones who are the 70%. By the way, I wonder which side would score better on a basic test of gynecology and abortion facts?? Hmmm… No matter. The truth of the actual 70% will reveal itself once the Bible Belters begin rolling out their draconian state abortion laws. And in terms of political strategy, any failure to pass some version of the Women’s Health Protection Act (i.e., a federal codification of Roe v. Wade) can serve as a useful foot in the door for various far-left political goodies like socialized health care. Hey is it just me, or is anyone else suddenly getting REALLY horny over the prospects of eradicating right-wing zealotry this November?! I haven’t felt this way since the 2008 Kucinich campaign during the halcyon days of my carefree adolescence…my Lord…T.M.I.? Perhaps, but my Lord…

10 hours ago, muppy said:

this thread could get nasty. Believe it or not I have friends on  both sides of this issue. On my facebook the right to life side is quiet. the outrage on the other side is palpable. This is just one example of posts Im receiving lately.

Pro Choice does not mean Pro abortion to Many people.  But if I have to take a side I choose Pro Choice and will be watching with great interest this unfold.

penis.jpg

Muppy!!! I like your new profile pic! I changed mine too!

I’m personally very pro-life but publicly very pro-choice. Often times, the “correct” public policy for such a heterogeneous society as ours can be defined as the “least awful” one. I sincerely believe that a “least awful” solution is the passage of the Women’s Health Protection Act. Those with strong opinions against abortion should focus on educating and persuading young women instead of legally restricting/punishing them.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Delete_Account said:

At the risk of speaking a bit too broadly and dichotomously, I think this is the crux of the debate’s heat: each side somehow believes they’re the ones who are the 70%. By the way, I wonder which side would score better on a basic test of gynecology and abortion facts?? Hmmm… No matter. The truth of the actual 70% will reveal itself once the Bible Belters begin rolling out their draconian state abortion laws. And in terms of political strategy, any failure to pass some version of the Women’s Health Protection Act (i.e., a federal codification of Roe v. Wade) can serve as a useful foot in the door for various far-left political goodies like socialized health care. Hey is it just me, or is anyone else suddenly getting REALLY horny over the prospects of eradicating right-wing zealotry this November?! I haven’t felt this way since the 2008 Kucinich campaign during the halcyon days of my carefree adolescence…my Lord…T.M.I.? Perhaps, but my Lord…

Muppy!!! I like your new profile pic! I changed mine too!

I’m personally very pro-life but publicly very pro-choice. Often times, the “correct” public policy for such a heterogeneous society as ours can be defined as the “least awful” one. I sincerely believe that a “least awful” solution is the passage of the Women’s Health Protection Act. Those with strong opinions against abortion should focus on educating and persuading young women instead of legally restricting/punishing them.

heyyy.....I  miss your face around here  GF. Always good to read you. God Bless!! xo m 

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Republicans had it made winning in the midterms , economy, crime, border. The SC and red states say whoa , repeal roe/wade , pass no or very limited abortion. Midterms not so certain now that women are upset.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, BillStime said:

Like Putin, these oligarch's are overreaching. Like banning alcohol or pot, its easy to pass laws, enforcing unpopular bull sh it government restictions will be a mess. But chaos seems to be the point of a lot of what these increasingly unpopular minority leaders wantb

13 hours ago, B-Man said:

Plus little Mrs. Amy thinks we need to increase the domestic supply of infants...

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, LeviF said:

There is no moral imperative to educate or persuade those who would toss their children into Moloch’s gaping maw. 

How do you feel about illegal children (isn't that what the GOP calls them) not being allowed in public schools? Gives us your version of moral clarity on that one

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Republicans had it made winning in the midterms , economy, crime, border. The SC and red states say whoa , repeal roe/wade , pass no or very limited abortion. Midterms not so certain now that women are upset.

Your point appears to be right on target.  I've been watching some of the Sunday morning shows and most have highlighted the Roe v. Wade decision facing the court and the repercussions of the leak and subsequent reporting of the draft decision.

One thing is there's a lot of ground between all abortion being illegal from conception to birth and all abortion being legal between conception to birth.  A question I have is were exactly do these pro choice and right to life groups fall on that continuum?  There's a lot of details to be worked out in between all the shouting and slogans.  

But my key takeaway from the events of the week and the Sunday show conversations among the hosts and their guests is that liberals are much more savvy and shrewd than conservatives when it comes to playing the political game.  Through a leak of the draft, publishing the document, and the orchestrated response complete with demonstrators quickly hitting the streets and even protesting outside the homes of Supreme Court justices they've managed to manufacture an issue their base can rally around.  And once again caught their opponents flatfooted and unprepared.  

And what is going to be the Republican and Conservative response?  Well Democrats are counting on the same old same old.  But there's a big difference in what they will do and what they should do.  Most likely, they'll fight the fight.  But politically it makes more sense to give the liberals what they want.  I understand there's a women's rights bill in front of Congress this week.  So what should conservatives and republicans do?  Why vote Yes!  

And the reason is simple.  Why fight a battle in the war for the mid-terms and total control of Congress which is the only battle in the war your opponent can win? Like a hockey player getting goaded into a fight by an instigator on the other team why get into a fight that might give them life and momentum when you're ahead something like 5-0?  Give them this victory and just avoid the fight.  Let it fade into memory, and move on to other issues that are important to mid-term voters.  Crime & police & bail reform, the economy, education, the war, the border & immigration and other issues where they have a distinct and clear advantage over the left and the Democrats.  

• Like (+1) 1