BREAKING: SCOTUS to overturn Roe?

The Supreme Court has voted to strike down the landmark Roe v. Wade decision, according to an initial draft majority opinion written by Justice Samuel Alito circulated inside the court and obtained by POLITICO.

The draft opinion is a full-throated, unflinching repudiation of the 1973 decision which guaranteed federal constitutional protections of abortion rights and a subsequent 1992 decision – Planned Parenthood v. Casey – that largely maintained the right. "Roe was egregiously wrong from the start," Alito writes.

"We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled," he writes in the document, labeled as the "Opinion of the Court." "It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people's elected representatives."

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-abortion-draft-opinion-00029473

21 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

"It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people's elected representatives."

No “outlawing” abortion.  

Having the decision on it’s legality made by men and women who should have made it in the first place 

If abortion is so popular then what are you worried about ?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doc said:

The person who leaked it should be shot.

They are trying to find a last minute switch like they did the ACA - hope that public and State Run Media pressure gets them to flip.  

They already have compromised Roberts.  My guess is the target is Kavanaugh.  

You're going to see a push by blue and purple states now to pass laws that legalize abortion now that Roe vs. Wade is in doubt.  The midterms are no longer a gimme for Republicans.

• Agree 5

18 minutes ago, BillStime said:

I guess the voters at a local level can decide that now if true.  Whoever leaked this should be prosecuted.  This can't be normalized.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You're going to see a push by blue and purple states now to pass laws that legalize abortion now that Roe vs. Wade is in doubt.  The midterms are no longer a gimme for Republicans.

Already happened in 2019 Doc

Remember that wave of bills legalizing abortion thru birth?

They've been preparing for this as the Court went conservative. 

And so have conservatives with pro life bills in the last 12 months.  Especially since November.  

Edited by Big Blitz

Just now, Big Blitz said:

Already happened in 2019 Doc

Remember that wave of bills legalizing abortion thru birth?

They've been preparing for this as the Court went conservative. 

No.  If you could show me a law that says any female can get an abortion through birth I'll be all ears.

Just now, Big Blitz said:

You missed the Democrats push to the uber far left after the 2018 mid terms and their bills that expanded abortion thru the 3rd trimester and up thru birth

I remember the whole push but there was no actual legislation passed that legalized abortion for all women through the third trimester.  Like I said, if you can show me it I'll be all ears.