Mario Addison to Texans

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think the Bills will be cutting a DLman they drafted based on pre-season.

Neither do I.  But if he shows no improvement in the preseason, he could be a surprise cut based on  his lackluster performances his first two years if there is a FA the Bills like more.  His rookie year he had the "COVID lack of training camp" excuse.  No excuse for last year.  I hope he turns it around.  

Good for Mario signing. He has a chance to play a lot of snaps in Houston and gain incentives if his contract has them.

Addison put together a heck of a career for an undrafted rookie out of Troy.

4 consecutive seasons of 9+ sacks. Led or tied for lead in sacks the two years he was here.

Generates a lot of pressures, just can't finish as well these days.

Good guy to have on your team.

As for Basham the guy has 18 tackles, 2.5 sacks and 4 Tackles for a loss on 201 defensive snaps.

Seems like pretty good production to me given how limited his play time was.

• Agree 2

On 5/2/2022 at 7:16 PM, LeGOATski said:

Feel kinda bad for him. Horrible franchise.

I'll second that. Good or bad, I thought he gave his best and did make a number or plays for us. Yet father time was beginning to zero in on Mario. All the best to him...

3 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

Kelvin Benjamin, Vontae Davis, Star, Ford, Jones...there are lots of options.  Luckily, the "wrong Josh" wasn't one of them.

Didn't even draft Jones 

He has built our roster inside out into one of the deepest and most talented rosters in the league 

And the Bills record when star played last year was like 7-1 

The dude didn't really get moved in the middle.. did we overpay? Sure 

But we had to overpay in Buffalo even a couple years ago.. doesn't mean he's terrible 

Cody Ford is a much worse football player

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Didn't even draft Jones 

He has built our roster inside out into one of the deepest and most talented rosters in the league 

But we had to overpay in Buffalo even a couple years ago.. doesn't mean he's terrible 

Cody Ford is a much worse football player

oh Im not knocking Beane, I love the man. Hes the best GM in the league!

On 5/5/2022 at 2:24 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Not like you to make up a BS stat like this that you could have looked up in 5 seconds.........the Bills were 8-3 in games where Lotulelei participated.

And that is padded because he was a non-factor in the late season wins also.   As Beane noted he was washed after he returned from becoming very ill with covid (after refusing vaccination after skipping a year etc..).    And let's be honest, the mid-season losses were because the offense only scored 6, 15 and 10 points in those losses not because of missing Star Lotulelei.

And yeah, "sure" they overpaid.......Beane ultimately paid Lotulelei about $43M for 43 games of exactly 47% of defensive football snaps........that's pass rusher money for a $4M aav quality player.

There is overpaying and then there is awarding Star a 5 year $50M deal with half of it guaranteed............worst overpay for least return in history of Bills free agency..........and it's not even close.  

Some might site the $7M aav deal the Bills gave Derrick Dockery long ago.......but at least DD played every snap of every game as a Bill.

Daquon Jones was another overpay........why Beane was compelled to pay him MORE than Carolina had last year is inexplicable............ but the risk is relatively modest compared to the financial nut punch that Lotulelei became.

There are a lot of things to love about Beane.........but his high volume of mistakes in free agency just underscores the fact that you really don't need to have a good batting average wrt free agent decisions to win divisions and make the playoffs if you acquire an elite QB.

Whether they graduate to winning a SB or can at least maintain their success given their inefficiency with $ in UFA.........that is another question.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

On 5/5/2022 at 1:07 PM, billsintaiwan said:

I'd say Cody Ford

On 5/4/2022 at 9:31 PM, pigpen65 said:

Addison was Beane's worst move as GM. Thank god he's gone. 

It’s trading Wyatt Teller, which goes with picking Cody Ford. That one pick cost them a shot at all those receivers in that round. It also cost them Wyatt Teller when you really look at the long term effects. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not like you to make up a BS stat like this that you could have looked up in 5 seconds.........the Bills were 8-3 in games where Lotulelei participated.

And that is padded because he was a non-factor in the late season wins also.   As Beane noted he was washed after he returned from becoming very ill with covid (after refusing vaccination after skipping a year etc..).    And let's be honest, the mid-season losses were because the offense only scored 6, 15 and 10 points in those losses not because of missing Star Lotulelei.

And yeah, "sure" they overpaid.......Beane ultimately paid Lotulelei about $43M for 43 games of exactly 47% of defensive football snaps........that's pass rusher money for a $4M aav quality player.

There is overpaying and then there is awarding Star a 5 year $50M deal with half of it guaranteed............worst overpay for least return in history of Bills free agency..........and it's not even close.  

Some might site the $7M aav deal the Bills gave Derrick Dockery long ago.......but at least DD played every snap of every game as a Bill.

Daquon Jones was another overpay........why Beane was compelled to pay him MORE than Carolina had last year is inexplicable............ but the risk is relatively modest compared to the financial nut punch that Lotulelei became.

There are a lot of things to love about Beane.........but his high volume of mistakes in free agency just underscores the fact that you really don't need to have a good batting average wrt free agent decisions to win divisions and make the playoffs if you acquire an elite QB.

Whether they graduate to winning a SB or can at least maintain their success given their inefficiency with $ in UFA.........that is another question.

I mean I don't have time to look up every single statistic every hour of the day.. and I did use the word like as an approximate

I'm pretty sure off the top of my head I know more football statistics than most people.. and I wasn't that far off

Let alone that over a few years here when he did play he was actually a pretty effective one technique

I'm not debating if his contract was good or bad.. cuz we obviously overpaid

But he was far from terrible 1tech.. he controlled center guard combo block pretty well 

And he was actually really effective early in the season

We obviously overpaid.. but we've overpaid for bad football players in the past.. at least he was solid

Edited by Buffalo716

On 5/4/2022 at 9:31 PM, pigpen65 said:

Addison was Beane's worst move as GM. Thank god he's gone. 

Star definitely. Unless we count the Teller trade. That’s a tough one as Teller was a numbers game. 

Addison lead our defense in sacks and was 3rd in tackles for loss over his 2 years behind Milano and Oliver.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean I don't have time to look up every single statistic every hour of the day.. and I did use the word like as an approximate

I'm pretty sure off the top of my head I know more football statistics than most people.. and I wasn't that far off

Let alone that over a few years here when he did play he was actually a pretty effective one technique

I'm not debating if his contract was good or bad.. cuz we obviously overpaid

But he was far from terrible 1tech.. he controlled center guard combo block pretty well 

And he was actually really effective early in the season

We obviously overpaid.. but we've overpaid for bad football players in the past.. at least he was solid

Nobody asked you to have the time to look up "every single stat every hour of the day"........just the one that you wanted to use as support for your take that would have taken all of 5 seconds.  "Star Lotulelei + game logs + 2021"

Due credit for being versed in the hilarious football excuse speak though. :lol:

Media:   "Sean, how do you explain your team having the worst scoring offense thru 8 games since the AFL/NFL merger?"

McDermott:  " Would we like to score 50 points every game?  Of course, but sometimes it isn't that easy." :lol:

Like I said 7-1 was just a really weird, pulled from thin-air, over-stated stat to make up about a grossly overpaid rotational role player like Lotulelei.

Maybe if Tennessee hadn't trampled them or KC hadn't put up 570 yards on them in the playoffs both with Star active..........perhaps you could VERY loosely imply that he had some kind of tangible synergistic effect.  

7-1 sounds A LOT better than 8-3 though........and 8-3 is a lot lower winning % than their 13-3 record in 2020..........when he was cashing opt out checks for a living.

He's not the kind of player you assign win-loss records to.  You know that.;)

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nobody asked you to have the time to look up "every single stat every hour of the day"........just the one that you wanted to use as support for your take that would have taken all of 5 seconds.  "Star Lotulelei + game logs + 2021"

Due credit for being versed in the hilarious football excuse speak though. :lol:

Media:   "Sean, how do you explain your team having the worst scoring offense thru 8 games since the AFL/NFL merger?"

McDermott:  " Would we like to score 50 points every game?  Of course, but sometimes it isn't that easy." :lol:

Like I said 7-1 was just a really weird, pulled from thin-air, over-stated stat to make up about a grossly overpaid rotational role player like Lotulelei.

Maybe if Tennessee hadn't trampled them or KC hadn't put up 570 yards on them in the playoffs both with Star active..........perhaps you could VERY loosely imply that he had some kind of tangible synergistic effect.  

7-1 sounds A LOT better than 8-3 though........and 8-3 is a lot lower winning % than their 13-3 record in 2020..........when he was cashing opt out checks for a living.

He's not the kind of player you assign win-loss records to.  You know that.;)

Obviously 

My point was I will absolutely agree we overpaid for his services.. but I don't think he was a bad football player here  

When He was in our lineup I always thought we were stronger up front

Worth paying 50 million dollars for? No ... But I thought we were worse without him

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Obviously 

My point was I will absolutely agree we overpaid for his services.. but I don't think he was a bad football player here  

When He was in our lineup I always thought we were stronger up front

Worth paying 50 million dollars for? No ... But I thought we were worse without him

I agree that they were often varying degrees of worse at 1 tech without him on the field........the notable exceptions being the month before Harrison Phillips tore up his knee in 2019 when it looked like he was going to become a beast.......and the second half of 2021 when Phillips finally got right again.

Otherwise they were trying to give washed out street free agent Cory Liuget or reluctant and miscast 3 tech Vernon Butler those snaps.    

The bar was set VERY low.

In 2018 and 2019 when he and the rest of the defense were generally healthy they were still just a middling ypc run defense.........he was serviceable but despite his rep he didn't draw enough double teams and impact the LOS enough to make the plan work............and was bigger and more lethargic and couldn't get off a block to at least make some plays to make up for it.

He was a smaller, different and better player when he was briefly healthy in 2021........but being in a more active condition seemed to coincide with two separate leg injuries.     The Bills were sorta' damned if they did and if they didn't with him..........the more available he was to make an impact the less available he was to play.:lol: 

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree that they were often varying degrees of worse at 1 tech without him on the field........the notable exceptions being the month before Harrison Phillips tore up his knee in 2019 when it looked like he was going to become a beast.......and the second half of 2021 when Phillips finally got right again.

Otherwise they were trying to give washed out street free agent Cory Liuget or reluctant and miscast 3 tech Vernon Butler those snaps.    

The bar was set VERY low.

In 2018 and 2019 when he and the rest of the defense were generally healthy they were still just a middling ypc run defense.........he was serviceable but despite his rep he didn't draw enough double teams and impact the LOS enough to make the plan work............and was bigger and more lethargic and couldn't get off a block to at least make some plays to make up for it.

He was a smaller, different and better player when he was briefly healthy in 2021........but being in a more active condition seemed to coincide with two separate leg injuries.     The Bills were sorta' damned if they did and if they didn't with him..........the more available he was to make an impact the less available he was to play.:lol: 

I feel like settle and Jones will replace star and Phillips pretty well

Star and Phillips both had moments of great play.. both were very inconsistent over the long Hall of the season 

And we replaced them with good football players at a cheaper price

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.