Schoen fires longtime NYG Director of College Scouting

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, Kornfed said:

Buddy was always a trip to listen to for his old school, tough as nails attitude. He described Travis Henrey as "trying to tackle a bowling ball with butcher knives sticking out of it" ... And he always had a snarl goin on with a grin when he spoke. Tough ole bird.

Pretty sure that was the description attributed to Kyle Williams, actually.  I'm still kind of in PTSD with those teams.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The prank phone where the guy pretended to be the Tampa GM and Buddy bought it............and threw his $10M QB under the bus and then had to release him...........that was one of the Billsiest moments ever. :doh:

It’s still unbelievable to me that happened to this day.  Christ.

3 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

Pretty sure that was the description attributed to Kyle Williams, actually.  I'm still kind of in PTSD with those teams.

Nope, it was Travis Henry.

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nix was pretty good. 

His problem was that he couldn't bring in a QB and that when they wanted a coach Ralph was passing and absolutely nobody wanted the job.

He built a really good defense, but that meant they never got really high draft picks for a QB. 

He was a laughing stock.

His 1st round picks were Maybin, Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore and EJM.  

He hit on Robert Woods and Gilmore.  He passed on Russ Wilson ("too small") as well as Cousins,  famously taking TJ Graham instead.  The drafts from 2011-13 are a real treat to revisit. In points allowed, those years were 30th, 26th, 20th.  They had 1 top 5 D between 2009 to 2017.

• Agree 2

45 minutes ago, eball said:

It was definitely said about Kyle Williams a lot as well. I’m not 100% sure it was Nix tho. Could have been on scouting reports. The tv announcers would quote it often during games. 

it was both lol

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was a laughing stock.

His 1st round picks were Maybin, Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore and EJM.  

He hit on Robert Woods and Gilmore.  He passed on Russ Wilson ("too small") as well as Cousins,  famously taking TJ Graham instead.  The drafts from 2011-13 are a real treat to revisit. In points allowed, those years were 30th, 26th, 20th.  They had 1 top 5 D between 2009 to 2017.

Brandon was GM for the Maybin pick, and Manual was clearly Whaley's guy, thus the save-his-own-ass idiotic trade up for Super Sammy. 

There's plenty of reasons to go after Nix if you're so inclined- no need to rewrite the man's work. 

I liked Nix overall. Poor guy was stuck between ol' 'cash to cap' and having a frickin' concrete weight in Doug Whaley chained to his leg. 

But we actually looked like a football team out there.  For the first time in a decade I didn't feel like an NFL Europe team got plopped into the middle of the AFC East. 

sure we didn't seriously compete with NE, but we did finally beat them under his tenure.  

I like Nix. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, chris heff said:

Does this surprise anyone? Didn’t the Bills fire everyone in scouting department immediately after 2017 draft?

Chris, do you remember when the national media lauuuuuuuggggghhheeed at the Bills for this, and some even saying that they are a joke organization?

You know, right before the season they made the playoffs, and have made it 4 times in 5 years?

Damn right on Schoen.  Clean house, buddy.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Brandon was GM for the Maybin pick, and Manual was clearly Whaley's guy, thus the save-his-own-ass idiotic trade up for Super Sammy. 

There's plenty of reasons to go after Nix if you're so inclined- no need to rewrite the man's work. 

I liked Nix overall. Poor guy was stuck between ol' 'cash to cap' and having a frickin' concrete weight in Doug Whaley chained to his leg. 

But we actually looked like a football team out there.  For the first time in a decade I didn't feel like an NFL Europe team got plopped into the middle of the AFC East. 

sure we didn't seriously compete with NE, but we did finally beat them under his tenure.  

I like Nix. 

True on Maybin.   He also passed on Gronk (because of back concerns) and picked Troup--who quickly washed out....due to back issues. 

He hired Gailey and Marrone.  Between 2010-13 (Nix GM years, the Bills won 16 games and lost 32.  Not sure what you were watching. in 2014 they got up to 9 wins and wouldn't win that many again for another 3 years. Their Offense was 25th, 14th, 19th  Defense was 24, 26, 22.  

The Levy/Jauron combo was good for 3 seasons of 7-9 football......

8 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

I like Nix. 

Thank you for setting the record straight.  Compared to the manure show that were the Bills drafts under Russ Brandon/Dick Jauron (2006-2009), Nix was a breath of fresh air.

One of the things to keep in mind about the Bills GMs from January, 2006 through May, 2018 (when Russ Brandon was fired), GMs had very limited power.  Essentially, Brandon and his bean counters controlled budgets, especially coaching staff budgets, and frequently decided which players to acquire or keep based primarily on financial considerations.  Russ Brandon operated on the principle of maximizing profits with little concern for fielding a winning team.  Before joining the Bills in the early 2000s, he had infamously sold off most of the talent from the 1997 World Series Champion Florida Marlins in the 1998 MLB off-season, resulting in the Marlins finishing with the worst record ever for any MLB team that won the World Series the year before.  The Marlins payroll went from the near the top of the league to bottom feeder territory but their profitability improved significantly.

The Bills GMs during Brandon's regime were:

2006 - 2007:    Marv Levy was a figurehead.  I think it was Wilson's way of helping Levy financially.

2008 - 2009:    No formal GM.  Brandon ran the show financially.  Jauron selected the talent.

2010 - 2013:     Buddy Nix was primarily a talent evaluator.   He resigned as GM in May, 2013.

2013 - 2017:      Doug Whaley was again another  a talent evaluator.  He was fired immediately after the 2017 draft.

2017 - present: Brandon Beane was hired with a lot of support from Sean McDermott.  Like his predecessors he didn't have full control over the team.  When Russ Brandon was fired in May, 2018, Pegula gave Beane full control of the team.  After the end of the 2018 season, the Bills fired the entire offensive coaching staff except for Brian Daboll.  They not only replaced all of the fired coaches, but also hired a bonafide QB coach to mentor Josh Allen ... and as the pundits say, "the rest is history".

Edited by SoTier
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, eball said:

If I remember correctly, it was Joel Bushbaum who described Henry that way in his Pro Football Weekly draft guide. Not sure if he was the first to use that term.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.