Honey Badger signing with New Orleans

He has had an odd career, Saints are his fourth team. He’s won a Super Bowl, been an All-Pro multiple times. The Chiefs secondary wasn’t very good, but he was better than anyone else, did they just not want to pay him? Is he just a hired gun at this point?

• Like (+1) 1

I love that he waited to sign so the chefs don’t get the comp pick. Locked on NFL guy who covers the saints said KC would have been in line for a 3rd rounder due to the AAV of the contract that he signed 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, eball said:

Tyrann is clearly planning for his post-NFL career at this point, making bank while he can without worrying about competing for another SB.

Ha, i think going home was a huge draw, plus the saints had a big need at safety. The rams and eagles offered him a deal too. He really wanted to go back to KC but they didn’t offer him a deal.

1 hour ago, dbfla10 said:

his contract should be favorable for the Bills signing Poyer. Poyers contract should come in under Mathieu which should be fair enough to keep him providing he doesnt have a huge drop off this year.

Possibly. But if the Bills don’t think he’s worth that much and Poyer plays hardball, it’s one less good safety off the board that we could use for bargaining.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, chris heff said:

He has had an odd career, Saints are his fourth team. He’s won a Super Bowl, been an All-Pro multiple times. The Chiefs secondary wasn’t very good, but he was better than anyone else, did they just not want to pay him? Is he just a hired gun at this point?

I think he is overrated, personally. Maybe he used to be really good, but he is just average at this point.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

his contract should be favorable for the Bills signing Poyer. Poyers contract should come in under Mathieu which should be fair enough to keep him providing he doesnt have a huge drop off this year.

Yeah but his outspoken, money hungry representation has already said he isn't interested in a team friendly deal. Also his agent is Drew Rosenhaus.

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Rachel Bush burn!

4 hours ago, benderbender said:

Yeah but his outspoken, money hungry representation has already said he isn't interested in a team friendly deal. Also his agent is Drew Rosenhaus.

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Rachel Bush burn!

When you look at the cost right now he's pretty much at the price tag he should be. 

9m AAV for a 31y old vs 11m AAV for a 29y old

I don't think Beane is going to move too much on Poyers contract. 

JMO.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, eball said:

Tyrann is clearly planning for his post-NFL career at this point, making bank while he can without worrying about competing for another SB.

he's from Louisiana.  

19 hours ago, chris heff said:

going to play for his "home team" i think.  

and glad he is not on KC! 

I think the Saints will be sneaky good this year.  Not SB contenders, but make the playoffs and give TB some issues in the division.  

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think the Saints will be sneaky good this year.  Not SB contenders, but make the playoffs and give TB some issues in the division.  

Agreed. The "offensive genius" moniker applied to Sean Payton lost it's luster a few years back. His devotion to Taysom Hill didn't help. They needed a fresh start and a defensive HC was the right move for them. Having Michael Thomas back won't hurt either.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Any idea why?

There are a multitude of reasons.  He’s an emotional guy on and off the field.  When that’s channeled the right way, it’s great.  When it isn’t, things can go very bad.  Unfortunately, he became a cancer in the locker room and in the media last season likely due to the fact that the Chiefs weren’t interested in breaking the bank for an undersized Safety on the wrong side of 30.  His play was already starting to decline, and once his heart wasn’t in it, he went from a fierce competitor to a guy more interested in making business decisions than in making tackles.  His age and declining production made the Chiefs want to part with him.  His attitude made it an easy sell with the fans.

He was a great player his first two seasons in Kansas City, and we got more from him than we ever expected.  Unfortunately, he was average at best in his contract year.  Hopefully New Orleans provides the change of scenery he needs to rejuvenate his career.  I suspect he’s just the kind of guy who teams will always love to see him come and provide some fire in the locker room and then love to see him go once he’s run his course.  If the Saints get the 2019/2020 version, they’re getting a steal.  If they get the 2021 version, then they’re the ones getting robbed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

When you look at the cost right now he's pretty much at the price tag he should be. 

9m AAV for a 31y old vs 11m AAV for a 29y old

I don't understand this.  Who is 29?  Mathieu is 30 (well, 3 days short right now) and just signed for 3 years, $11M/yr AAV with $18M guaranteed.

Poyer is 31 (well, 16 days past 31 right now) and has a cap hit of $10.7M this season.

It doesn't make sense to compare the AAV of a contract signed 3 years ago with one reported today.

Poyer is just 1 year older than Mathieu.  Mathieu, of course, is coming off 3 straight years of honors - 2 years of 1st team all pro and 2 years of probowl.

The other place Rosenhaus and Poyer will be looking is Vikes FS Harrison Smith, who a year ago at age 32 for 2021 signed a 4 year, $16M AAV contract with $26M guaranteed overall.  Smith had 5 pro-bowls and a 2017 1st team all-pro on his resume and had 5 INTs and 10 PD to go with 89 tackles in 2020

Poyer had 5 INT and 9 PD to go with 93 tackles last year. 

We'll be lucky if Poyer would go for a Mathieu contract.  I think he's gonna want something similar to Smith!

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Agreed. The "offensive genius" moniker applied to Sean Payton lost it's luster a few years back. His devotion to Taysom Hill didn't help. They needed a fresh start and a defensive HC was the right move for them. Having Michael Thomas back won't hurt either.

Agree across the board, i think Tampa actually take a step back, Nola has played them extremely well.  Carolina and Atlanta are not better…In fact Atl might be the worse team in the NFL.  I could see them going 11-6 and winning the south…if JW stays healthy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We'll be lucky if Poyer would go for a Mathieu contract.  I think he's gonna want something similar to Smith!

That Smith contract was a disaster the day he signed it.  I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he’s cut after this season and it becomes a two year $26,000,000 contract.  Beane is way too smart to do something like that.  I fully expect a defensive purge next offseason with an emphasis on getting younger and cheaper.

34 minutes ago, Billl said:

That Smith contract was a disaster the day he signed it.  I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he’s cut after this season and it becomes a two year $26,000,000 contract.  Beane is way too smart to do something like that.  I fully expect a defensive purge next offseason with an emphasis on getting younger and cheaper.

When I look at the contract, I see it as a 3 year, $41.3M contract - 3 year, 33.5M with $7.8M dead cap.  His picks dropped off, but he had 113 tackles and 7 PD last year.  Not quite a disaster.  If he has a similar year in 2022, I think they keep him through 2023.

Yeah, it was quite the contract for a dude who was 32 the season he signed it, and a definite outlier among top safety contracts.  For the top-10 safeties, Smith is the only one older than 29 when he signed.  Quandre Diggs is the only one who was 29.  The other 8 were 24-27.

We'll see what the contract details look like, but if Poyer would sign for similar to Mathieu I think Beane would go for it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't understand this.  Who is 29?  Mathieu is 30 (well, 3 days short right now) and just signed for 3 years, $11M/yr AAV with $18M guaranteed.

Poyer is 31 (well, 16 days past 31 right now) and has a cap hit of $10.7M this season.

It doesn't make sense to compare the AAV of a contract signed 3 years ago with one reported today.

Poyer is just 1 year older than Mathieu.  Mathieu, of course, is coming off 3 straight years of honors - 2 years of 1st team all pro and 2 years of probowl.

The other place Rosenhaus and Poyer will be looking is Vikes FS Harrison Smith, who a year ago at age 32 for 2021 signed a 4 year, $16M AAV contract with $26M guaranteed overall.  Smith had 5 pro-bowls and a 2017 1st team all-pro on his resume and had 5 INTs and 10 PD to go with 89 tackles in 2020

Poyer had 5 INT and 9 PD to go with 93 tackles last year. 

Well you worked out the who is who on your own I see.

I was comparing AAV and not cap hit or one to the other. 

Poyer is still an AAV of 9m.  It was pushed to this year on his two year deal. 

Mathieu looks to be a flat 11m x 3 years right now.  They expect him to play that out.   I don't think extending and restructuring Poyer to 34-35yrs old is in the cards for the Bills to lower his cap hit.

If they restructure at 9m for another 2 years on top of current contract, then I can see it happening but my point is I don't think he's going to be the same player in a year or two and they have younger guys to lock up long term. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.