So Who Will Not Be a Bill by September?

BillsfaninSB

On 5/2/2022 at 3:10 PM, Dablitzkrieg said:

You people on this crusade are going to be awfully disappointed when his 5th year option and long term extension get signed.   I can't wait

Oh God NO !! 

On 5/2/2022 at 6:17 PM, Aussie Joe said:

If he makes the team  it will be at the expense of Quessonberry or Mancz... one of whom I assume you have in your 51... Boettger is no doubt headed for IR /Practice Squad at the start of the season...

Interestingly Quessenberry played more snaps last season than anyone on the Bills roster. Doubt he is cut.

Summarizing; and ignoring the Edmunds, Poyer, and to some extent Crowder mentions; here are the "bubble" players mentioned above

Dodson

Epenesa

Ford

Gilliam

Duke Johnson

Kumerow

Matakevich

McKenzie

Haack

Hart

Taiwan Jones

Moss

Andre Smith

Stevenson

Sweeney

will be interesting to see how many make the 53, and how many are active on game day

11 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

No way am I keeping Moss over Duke. Moss has shown nothing of value. 

Well, this isn't true at all.  Moss was productive as a rookie and was in a good position to run away with the starting RB spot before injuring his foot in the 2020 postseason.  On OBL on Monday, Beane was gushing about Moss and said that he was still dealing with his recovery from the foot thing all of last year and basically couldn't cut at all off of his left foot.  Assuming he's 100% heading into 2022, he's absolutely in the mix to split carries with Motor or possibly supplant him as the starter.  Duke Johnson was signed in case they didn't get a hybrid/pass-catching back that they liked in the draft.  They've filled that spot now with Cook.  I expect Johnson to be traded or cut before the final regular season roster is finalized.

Edited by TheBrownBear

On 5/4/2022 at 11:03 AM, SectionC3 said:

Matt Araiza.  Points matter more than punts.  The inexperience as a holder is an underrated concern. 

I agree with the statement "points matter more than punts". However, they would not have drafted him if they didn't believe he could learn to hold. If he doesn't, I agree he'll be gone. Haack punted an average of 3 times per game. He had a few awful punts, but for the most part he was a slightly below average punter. If he continues to be a far superior holder over Araiza or any other FA they find, he'll keep his job. But, I fully expect Araiza to be a good holder and to stay with the team. 

36 minutes ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I agree with the statement "points matter more than punts". However, they would not have drafted him if they didn't believe he could learn to hold. If he doesn't, I agree he'll be gone. Haack punted an average of 3 times per game. He had a few awful punts, but for the most part he was a slightly below average punter. If he continues to be a far superior holder over Araiza or any other FA they find, he'll keep his job. But, I fully expect Araiza to be a good holder and to stay with the team. 

The guess here is that they were beaten to the punch on Stout.  I can’t recall a year in which three punters were drafted.  Not saying it didn’t happen; I just don’t remember.  Joe B has a nice write up today on the value of the holder, which Stout is and which Araiza is not. 

Anyhow, I think the thesis on Haack remains the same.  He’s a hang time/positional guy who, when our offense puts together a few first downs, can effectively trap the opponent deep in its territory if we’re forced to punt.  I appreciate that he sucked last year, but I’m not sold on the idea that he’s a goner.  I agree with you that we’ll see what happens in camp and go from there. 

55 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

The guess here is that they were beaten to the punch on Stout.  I can’t recall a year in which three punters were drafted.  Not saying it didn’t happen; I just don’t remember.  Joe B has a nice write up today on the value of the holder, which Stout is and which Araiza is not. 

Anyhow, I think the thesis on Haack remains the same.  He’s a hang time/positional guy who, when our offense puts together a few first downs, can effectively trap the opponent deep in its territory if we’re forced to punt.  I appreciate that he sucked last year, but I’m not sold on the idea that he’s a goner.  I agree with you that we’ll see what happens in camp and go from there. 

2018, 2016, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2004, 1999, 1993, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1988, 1987, 1986, 1985, 1984, 1983, 1982, 1980.........

It's happened a lot, but not with this year's love affair and nicknames.

Edited by DasNootz

5 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

The guess here is that they were beaten to the punch on Stout.  

Well, if you mean the Bill had a higher grade on Stout than Arazia, you are probably right. But I don't believe the Bills had a 4th round grade on ANY punter. But I'm not sure I'd refer to that as "beaten to the punch".  Maybe if Stout had gone late in the 5th? 

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Was that where he said he had s hard time cutting or something like that? Maybe post draft presser?

It was the Michael Silver article.

brandon beane's lasting formula to build a champion in buffalo

Though Beane believes that running back Zack Moss, a 2020 third-round selection, will rebound from a disappointing 2021 season to challenge current starter (and 2019 third-rounder) Devin Singletary, the Bills could clearly use some more juice at the position. Had the Bills not landed Elam and stuck with the 25th selection, Iowa State running back Breece Hall would have been under consideration.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I get holding is important but holy chit, there's 53 PROFESIONAL athletes on the team! There's no reason Araiza hits the streets over a holder.

I know, I know, it's more than the hold and timing and all that, and it IS important! But I mean good grief teach Kumerow/Taiwan or any one of Bernard, Shakir, Benford, Spector to figure it out. Take one for the team and spend some practice time on the other field.

If we are punting it's likely from inside our own 40, can't be sending haack out to get blocked, kick it 30yards or backwards.

12 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I get holding is important but holy chit, there's 53 PROFESIONAL athletes on the team! There's no reason Araiza hits the streets over a holder.

I know, I know, it's more than the hold and timing and all that, and it IS important! But I mean good grief teach Kumerow/Taiwan or any one of Bernard, Shakir, Benford, Spector to figure it out. Take one for the team and spend some practice time on the other field.

If we are punting it's likely from inside our own 40, can't be sending haack out to get blocked, kick it 30yards or backwards.

I assume Araiza practices about 10,000 holds between now and the first game, he’s gonna be fine. It’s a hard thing to learn and do, but with his leg he’s going to make the team. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

You may want to check out this article if you haven't:  https://theathletic.com/3295131/2022/05/05/bills-punt-god-matt-araiza/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

Holy smokes! In 2 years Bass has kicked 110 XPs and 66fgs!  That's honestly nuts. Cool article and something to keep an eye on but I think he figures out a way to get er done.

I know it's not identical but there's some similar mechanics in catching and dropping a punt. Have T-Pegs mail a Juggs machine to his house, and get to gettin

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.