So Who Will Not Be a Bill by September?

BillsfaninSB

23 hours ago, UConn James said:

Depending on how disgruntled he gets… possibly Poyer. Would kinda hate to break up that safety pairing, but there’s Neal and Johnson behind him, yes?

Poyer is under contract. However, I think Hamlin is going to be a stud. 

7 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Someone else replied the same, but the league has shown us that there are times a contract doesn’t mean anything.

I don’t think Poyer is the type who would hold out of training camp or beyond, but he was one of the very few who didn’t show up for the voluntary mini, his wife seems to be in the extremes of high-maintenance, and given a new agent we don’t know exactly what his thoughts are. So it’s a little up in the air at this point. Just was saying that the possibility exists.

Edited by UConn James

On 5/2/2022 at 4:29 PM, Success said:

Our 2-time pro bowl linebacker?

Not likely.  Just because Edmunds isn't playing up to his draft trade/position doesn't mean he isn't vital on this team.

The fact he’s not vital means he’s not vital. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The fact he’s not vital means he’s not vital. 

Unless they trade for his replacement he is absolutely VITAL to this team. Nobody on the current roster can really replace him, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

On 5/2/2022 at 5:30 PM, chris heff said:

Poyer is still under contract.

Yeah, but I wouldn’t be shocked by a Poyer trade. Poyer is very important to this team, but if negotiations go south, Beane seems like the type of GM who’d be wise enough to get something of value for Poyer. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Unless they trade for his replacement he is absolutely VITAL to this team. Nobody on the current roster can really replace him, IMO. 

I think it depends how confident Beane and McDermott are in their system. We all know he’s a crucial part of this defense, but I’m not sure how much they’re willing or able to give him. I don’t see Poyer going anywhere, but I wouldn’t eliminate the possibility if negotiations turn ugly. 

• Agree 1

Just now, SirAndrew said:

I think it depends how confident Beane and McDermott are in their system. We all know he’s a crucial part of this defense, but I’m not sure how much they’re willing or able to give him. I don’t see Poyer going anywhere, but I wouldn’t eliminate the possibility if negotiations turn ugly. 

My comment was in response to a remark made about Edmunds, not Poyer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

My comment was in response to a remark made about Edmunds, not Poyer.

Apparently I got lost in the last couple pages of Poyer and Edmunds talk. With that said, Edmunds certainly isn’t going anywhere imo 😆 I think the team values him far more than fans. I don’t know why, but I have a feeling that McD sees continuity as being important with linebackers, possibly more than other positions on defense. 

Going to come down to who performs at the highest level in camp. No doubt there will be some tough decisions. That's exactly the way it should be. Have no idea who stays or who goes aside from punter, but it will boil down to who makes the team better.

On 5/3/2022 at 1:40 AM, Dablitzkrieg said:

You people on this crusade are going to be awfully disappointed when his 5th year option and long term extension get signed.   I can't wait

Edmunds has indeed been that polarizing player for the fan base of this franchise. 

Edmunds puts together good seasons year in year out but with a weak run defense, he has been marked out for not having that "Closing" to finish the runs. 

His speed has helped him defend against speedy TEs and yet he has also been known to NOT have the ability to create turnovers.

Finally, he has helped the team in making plays at key moments and yet many other times, he has let down the team when it desperately needed him to make a play.

To add to the confusion, the Bills picked up his 5th year option (a great sign) and yet have not signed him to a long term contract (Bad sign)!

People are looking at Edmunds and want him to be Ray Lewis or a  game changing player like Polamalu.    People get disappointed when he does not. 

Edmunds is an ENIGMA indeed!

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Edmunds has indeed been that polarizing player for the fan base of this franchise. 

Edmunds puts together good seasons year in year out but with a weak run defense, he has been marked out for not having that "Closing" to finish the runs. 

His speed has helped him defend against speedy TEs and yet he has also been known to NOT have the ability to create turnovers.

Finally, he has helped the team in making plays at key moments and yet many other times, he has let down the team when it desperately needed him to make a play.

To add to the confusion, the Bills picked up his 5th year option (a great sign) and yet have not signed him to a long term contract (Bad sign)!

People are looking at Edmunds and want him to be Ray Lewis or a  game changing player like Polamalu.    People get disappointed when he does not. 

Edmunds is an ENIGMA indeed!

I don't believe the Bills picked up the 5th year option yet

3 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I don't believe the Bills picked up the 5th year option yet

This is Edmunds 5th year in the NFL.  His 5th year option was picked up last April along with Josh Allen. (Both were 1st round picks of the 2018 draft).

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, Maynard said:

Don't know if Hamlin will be 'a stud', but he's been praised by people within the organization. There are a few candidates who are already backup safeties or can be converted from CB, including some rookies.

As good as Poyer has been in tandem with Hyde, he's getting older and more expensive. He's under contract now, so he's got zero leverage unless he chooses not to play and not get paid.  The Patriots have been historically smart about not getting too emotionally attached to veterans and  knowing when to cut them loose for the good of the team.

The Bills have hit on lower round prospects and undrafted FAs because they often identify players with the raw skills sets who are smart and coachable. Neither Hyde or Poyer were all-pro candidates before coming to Buffalo.

This is likely Poyer's final year with the Bills and I'm not too worried about his eventual replacement.

17 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Ford will probably be gone.  Epenesa, and Moss are cheap labor so they should stay.  Edmunds and Poyer are valuable in the eyes of McBeane.

Ideally a few shine in preseason and are then traded.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.