Michael Silver spent the draft in the Bills' war room. Here is his excellent article.

Logic

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Lots of good stuff in there. 

Bean hanging up on Licht during the #7 pick because Licht was asking for both #1s.  Schoen freaking out. Beane waits 90 s then calls back

This is with the guy they want as the Franchise QB in question.  Yeah, Schoen is right, Beane is friendly but he's got that "killer" gene

Balls of steel.  I'd hate to be sitting across from Beane at the poker table.

10 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Uh.    So, if the Browns had taken Allen first overall...what then?

Then the Jets take Mayfield and Beane has to decide if any of the remaining QBs are worth the risk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

So Dorsey raised his prices on the pick because he knew the bills were taking a QB and didn't want to be the guy who took the wrong QB and allowed another team to trade up and take the better QB

Now I wonder if the rumors that the browns liked Allen at 1 were to get the bills to show their cards in regards to the potential trade

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.ballysports.com/national/news/brandon-beane-s-lasting-formula-to-build-a-champion-in-buffalo

really good read.

Thought this was interesting ⬆️

also, they had Allen at #1 and Mayfield at #2

Lots of interesting little tidbits from Schoen

I had Allen, Rosen, Mayfield, then Darnold.  I liked Lamar better than most and still do, but I still had him fifth.  There is always some luck to the draft. If Mayfield and Allen were gone to the Browns and Jets, Beane was still drafting the third guy on his list.  We will probably never know who that was.  

24 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Then the Jets take Mayfield and Beane has to decide if any of the remaining QBs are worth the risk.

Probably, but no way to know with the Jets. They may have had Darnold a little higher than Baker....

But anyway, he was asking in a scenario in which Baker ended up still on the board at 7 would Beane have picked him.

2 hours ago, Shake_My_Head said:

The BIG question then:  If Allen had gone before pick #7, would Beane have gone with Mayfield?

If Mayfield was there at 7, then yes I definitely think the Bills take him if Allen was gone. But if he goes #1 and someone else trades up for Allen, from what I’ve read Mason Rudolph would have been the QB they drafted (but hopefully not in the 1st!).

• Like (+1) 2

I think it's hilarious that Bucs' GM Licht initially wanted the Bills 2-1st and 2-2nd rounders and Beane hung up on him.  And then 90 seconds later Beane got him to accept just the 1st-1st rounder and the 2-2nd rounders...and got the Bucs to throw in a 7th rounder.  :lol:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Beane's lasting formula:

Draft an elite QB and then do a bunch of other things that make varying degrees of sense.

Presto.

Wouldn't this describe any really successful GM?

Only on message boards do potential GM candidates get things right 100% of the time.

Edited by downunderbill
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I also find it interesting that Beane told the Bears director of scouting to call him at the start of the 5th round about getting one of the Bills' 6th rounders in a trade up...and then made him wait 5 minutes.  That round moves pretty quick.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Beane's lasting formula:

Draft an elite QB and then do a bunch of other things that make varying degrees of sense.

Presto.

Not to show too much behind the draft curtain but here is the 3rd round concoction he came up with per Joe Marino:

image.png.8aac23a2af61c7a066b09718779b01d4.png

Did you skip the first half of the article 

That was a really good article.  For me, probably the best tidbits were...

Moss's ankle was injured and that's why he had an off year.

Beane really is in charge of the draft.  I know some Bills fans think McDermott runs every aspect of the team.  But Schoen cleared that up:

“Early on, (McDermott) was heavily invested (in the personnel process). The more we earned his trust, the more hands-off he was. It’s a testament to him that he and his coaches did such a great job of clearly defining what they were looking for, and then in developing the players we brought in.”

5 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Excellent article!

I can't get over the fact that the Browns were willing to give up MORE than pick #65 for Tyrod Taylor, but that Beane was willing to only take the 3rd rd pick with the promise that we would have the inside track on trading for #4 overall. And then they reneged!

Edit

Whoops. It was the BRONCOS that were willing to give up more than #65 overall. Still can't believe there was that much of a market for TT (and I like the guy more than most on here). 

And there is still a market for players like Tyrod Taylor and Geno Smith (who BTW is in contention for being the Seahawks starting QB)

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

McKittrick.  And anyone who calls him this.  This is my mission. :ph34r:

Chill, Ridge. It’s just a little TBD humor, albeit damn little..

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

What I have always loved about BB from the beginning is how he very clearly had a master plan, built over a period of years.

He had a good idea how to turn a joke of an irrelevant franchise into a steady solid contender, with deliberate, well planned phases. 

I remember when they started getting rid of players--even with big names like Marcell Dareus--who didn't really want to be in Buffalo or just didn't get with the program.  

That was when I thought "this guy has a plan...let's just see where it goes."

🤫shhhh! @BADOLBILZwill hear you!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The nugget in there for me was Josh and Baker were the two QBs on the board.

Agreed.  I heard rumors that was the case but it was never confirmed until now.  Also, the part about Dorsey screwing Beane over and the fact that he refused Arizona's initial offer in the Allen trade of their first and two seconds was also something I didn't know.  Imagine the balls it took to refuse a trade after working tirelessly over a year to finally have a chance to get your coveted QB and then turning the offer down praying they'd call back.  Just awesome stuff in this article.  

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Agreed.  I heard rumors that was the case but it was never confirmed until now.  Also, the part about Dorsey screwing Beane over and the fact that he refused Arizona's initial offer in the Allen trade of their first and two seconds was also something I didn't know.  Imagine the balls it took to refuse a trade after working tirelessly over a year to finally have a chance to get your coveted QB and then turning the offer down praying they'd call back.  Just awesome stuff in this article.  

Yep, all the while remembering that their coveted guy was considered the next Blake Bortles bust by the analytics disciples who all laughed in unison at the pick at the time. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yep, all the while remembering that their coveted guy was considered the next Blake Bortles bust by the analytics disciples who all laughed in unison at the pick at the time. 

The fascinating part of Allen was the old school evaluators were high on him.  Kiper had him as his #1 QB prospect and Mayock had him as his #2.  PFF meanwhile had him fifth behind Mason Rudolph.  LOL.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ok so with the Breece Hall tidbit, if Elam was gone and we took Breece, in the second the corners available when we picked were Cam Taylor-Britt and Martin Emerson. So would you rather have:

Elam and Cook 

or 

Hall and Taylor-Britt/Emerson

I would take Elam and Cook all day every day. JMO. 

Said it all the way through there were 7 corners in this draft that could be really good players as rookies. The 2nd tier was a bit non-existant - I think Taylor-Britt was a reach... it was just Emerson there for me. Then a load of 3rd and 4th round talents who can be good down the line but will need some time. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.