Michael Silver spent the draft in the Bills' war room. Here is his excellent article.

Logic

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Michael Silver, who has spent time with Sports Illustrated, NFL Network, Yahoo Sports, and helped write several books, spent the NFL draft with the Bills. He wrote this piece about Brandon Beane. I think it's excellent and worth your time. It has tidbits of info not only from this draft, but going back to the Josh Allen draft as well. Also some interesting stuff about Zack Moss. Great stuff. 

Brandon Beane's Lasting Formula to build a champion in Buffalo

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Lots of good stuff in there. 

Bean hanging up on Licht during the #7 pick because Licht was asking for both #1s.  Schoen freaking out. Beane waits 90 s then calls back

This is with the guy they want as the Franchise QB in question.  Yeah, Schoen is right, Beane is friendly but he's got that "killer" gene

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Silver is a long time veteran journalist. Well respected. A pro’s pro. He somehow got Beane to open the vault!

This, and there was/is some contractual agreements on what is and is not to be said, that and the Bills likely got to read the article before publication, jmo…

22 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ok so with the Breece Hall tidbit, if Elam was gone and we took Breece, in the second the corners available when we picked were Cam Taylor-Britt and Martin Emerson. So would you rather have:

Elam and Cook 

or 

Hall and Taylor-Britt/Emerson

I would take Elam and Cook all day every day. JMO. 

You need to include that 4th rounder we gave up for Elam in the equation. That might change things a little.

4 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

You need to include that 4th rounder we gave up for Elam in the equation. That might change things a little.

OTOH, Beane claims he would have taken Shakir in the 4th. If true, and you're free to be a skeptic, it's virtually a sixth. (And either way, it would not change it for me.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

https://www.ballysports.com/national/news/brandon-beane-s-lasting-formula-to-build-a-champion-in-buffalo

really good read.

Thought this was interesting ⬆️

also, they had Allen at #1 and Mayfield at #2

Lots of interesting little tidbits from Schoen

Well as for the part about if Beane moves up in draft it's because he really loves that player. Something about Elam made Beane feel some kind of way

they had Allen at #1 and Mayfield at #2

The BIG question then:  If Allen had gone before pick #7, would Beane have gone with Mayfield?

I shudder to think how things subsequently would have unfolded had THAT scenario gone down.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shake_My_Head said:

The BIG question then:  If Allen had gone before pick #7, would Beane have gone with Mayfield?

I shudder to think how things subsequently would have unfolded had THAT scenario gone down.

I think the Bills would have done a better job of developing Mayfield than the Browns did. He's not as good as Josh, but he's not bad either. I'm sure Josh is glad that the Browns took Mayfield.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Actually the opposite - the two teams typically never discuss the player being targeted

I see what the Broncos did, which we’ve heard before about the Chubb pick.

Kinda surprised they don’t tell each other.  I guess the moral of the story is, unless your targeting multiple people, don’t trade the pick.

9 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Am I missing something?  Baker went first overall and want available.  He would have had whoever wasn’t drafted, Rosen and Lamar.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Of course he would have. Along with any other team in need of a QB. If Baker was still on the board at 7th pick any team would have picked him. Remember he was ranked the best QB that year by a lot of ppl. 

So no question any team picking at #7 or 8 or whatever needing a QB would have been tripping over everyone to send the pick in if Baker was still available in that scenario

“I started talking to people at the combine about moving up, and nobody in the top 10 was giving me anything,” said Beane, whose response was to deal tackle Cordy Glenn to the Cincinnati Bengals and swap the No. 21 pick for No. 12 as part of that trade. “Once I got from 21 to 12, now people were like, ‘We can talk.’”

Had this discussion some months ago.  I was saying Beane had to move a lot closer to get a chance at 7.

Thanks for posting as I really enjoyed the article. The Bills have so many positives right now and to a man they all know they have a roster to WIN a Super Bowl. The reality is now they have to go out and prove it. No more excuses at this point if they want to move past the 13 second debacle. It’s also incumbent on this coaching staff to learn how to finish!

Year one in their playoff under McDermott lost to Jax as they couldn’t get it done.

The loss against the Texans was another example. Went far too conservative on 4 & 20 to end up losing. Game should have been over on that play but they were far to conservative on D.

Following year went far too conservative against KC in the playoffs and the AZ Hail Mary shouldn’t of ever been in the situation. 

Last year the choke against Jax cost a top 2 seed and we all know what occurred in the last 13 seconds against KC.

While the roster is super competitive, McDermott and Frazier HAVE TO BE BETTER this year. 

Everything is there for them to do it this season!

30 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

OTOH, Beane claims he would have taken Shakir in the 4th. If true, and you're free to be a skeptic, it's virtually a sixth. (And either way, it would not change it for me.)

You're right about Beane and I am not a skeptic, I have no problem believing he would've taken Shakir in the 4th.

And I am completely fine with still wanting Elam+Cook. I would do the same.

But unless I am missing something your math is wrong. It is fifth and sixth in such case. We take Hall, Emerson and Shakir, and we still have both picks we used to trade up for Shakir (our original 5th and 6th). 

Edited by No_Matter_What

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

You're right about Beane and I am not a skeptic, I have no problem believing he would've taken Shakir in the 4th.

And I am completely fine with still wanting Elam+Cook. I would do the same.

But unless I am missing something your math is wrong. It is fifth and sixth in such case. We take Hall, Emerson and Shakir, and we still have both picks we used to trade up for Shakir (our original 5th and 6th). 

Yes, that is correct, but then you are playing out hypothetical scenarios with players from the latter rounds which is more work than it is worth, imo.

47 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

No. Because Browns took Mayfield w first pick of draft and were not trading. 🙄😁

Edited by cba fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 947 said:

I wonder how close the Browns were to taking Allen at #1. I think Josh was being reported as the possible #1 up until a day or 2 before the draft.

I sometimes wonder that too. I didn't believe it was close as the media kinda made it out to be. I think Browns knew all along with no doubt they were taking Baker. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.