Michael Silver spent the draft in the Bills' war room. Here is his excellent article.

Logic

13 hours ago, Logic said:

Michael Silver, who has spent time with Sports Illustrated, NFL Network, Yahoo Sports, and helped write several books, spent the NFL draft with the Bills. He wrote this piece about Brandon Beane. I think it's excellent and worth your time. It has tidbits of info not only from this draft, but going back to the Josh Allen draft as well. Also some interesting stuff about Zack Moss. Great stuff. 

Brandon Beane's Lasting Formula to build a champion in Buffalo

I new they liked Mayfield contrary to reports on this forum

13 hours ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Uh.    So, if the Browns had taken Allen first overall...what then?

lol.

Maybe we sign Mason Rudolph 🙂

13 hours ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Uh.    So, if the Browns had taken Allen first overall...what then?

lol.

Maybe we sign Mason Rudolph 🙂

• Haha (+1) 1

The culture change and roster makeover was done at light-speed when you think about it. 

McDermott had a vision when he was hired.  Imagine McD having to sit through questions from Russ and Doug - the pair that thought Rex Ryan could save the franchise.  Looking back on this, McDermott was probably thinking - the first thing that needs to happen is that you two yahoos need to exit.

Five months after hiring, McDermott is basically given the keys to shape the franchise.  He influences the hiring of Beane.  Beane's sole focus becomes finding a franchise QB and the Bills positioned themselves to select the QB from the 2018 draft class that best fit their city, their vision for the locker room and their view of a work ethic.  A simple revealing of a 14 year olds boy's texts was maybe the only divine intervention in the process causing Josh to be there when the Bills picked.

The Bills are positioned for a long run of relevance.  I will take some difficult lessons for the Head Coach on in-game management in exchange for where the Bills are right now.  Sundays in the fall are happy times at the F household and will be for the foreseeable future.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/3/2022 at 3:46 AM, GunnerBill said:

Said it all the way through there were 7 corners in this draft that could be really good players as rookies. The 2nd tier was a bit non-existant - I think Taylor-Britt was a reach... it was just Emerson there for me. Then a load of 3rd and 4th round talents who can be good down the line but will need some time. 

What about Kyler Gordon or Booth? Both went in the 2nd. (7th and 10th)

On 5/2/2022 at 8:58 PM, hondo in seattle said:

That was a really good article.  For me, probably the best tidbits were...

Moss's ankle was injured and that's why he had an off year.

Beane really is in charge of the draft.  I know some Bills fans think McDermott runs every aspect of the team.  But Schoen cleared that up:

“Early on, (McDermott) was heavily invested (in the personnel process). The more we earned his trust, the more hands-off he was. It’s a testament to him that he and his coaches did such a great job of clearly defining what they were looking for, and then in developing the players we brought in.”

Have to admit McDermott's draft was pretty great. Lock down CB, starting LT and a play making LB in the 5th...

PS Great read

Edited by RocCityRoller

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I think this would've been a better environment for Baker, fwiw.

I do too. He played through injury then they kicked him to the curb.

Beane also made better choices for weapons to help QB.

fwiw: I preferred Baker in 2018. And gasp thought they traded up for Rosen. Thank the football Gods I was wrong twice. But i love Allen now more than any other player in Bills history. He showed flashes of talent immediately other rookies did not and improved each set of 4 games to the next. Best fun to watch i have ever had. He pulled this team out of the muck. If Allen could coach like he plays, Bills would have at least one Super Bowl win with him already. LOL.........yeah 13 sec still on inept playoff caliber coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

Great article.  Thanks for posting it

5 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

What about Kyler Gordon or Booth? Both went in the 2nd. (7th and 10th)

Have to admit McDermott's draft was pretty great. Lock down CB, starting LT and a play making LB in the 5th...

PS Great read

McDermott's draft?

26 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

The draft where Beane was not yet Gm.

Ah. Fair enough I guess. Nobody here really knows who did what, for certain , during the dark days. But I'm ok with the label for that draft.  👍

THANK YOU MIKE SILVER!! On OBL now and said that many talent evaluators he trusts says that Breece Hall is a special player and wished the Bills would’ve been aggressive enough to acquire him!!

Also mentioned that Beane still has faith in Zack Moss. Thought injury hampered his season last year. Can Beane admit draft mistakes?

Interesting what Beane said about Moss.  I believed in Moss' abilities and thought he had more to offer, but was being held back.  Turns out he was still having issues cutting to his left.  If he's finally healed from that, our 3 (4?) headed monster at RB could be scary this year.

Singletary- no reason to believe he's going anywhere.

Moss- Beane already said he expects Moss to be good this year.  Likely only getting tossed if he shows to still be limited by injury. 

Johnson- Capable pass catching back signed as backup plan when McKissic bailed.  Not much guaranteed money if cut, but cheap contract may be worth keeping if he performs adequately.  Could be cut candidate to afford more reps to develop Cook.

Cook- 2nd round pick with the skillset the Bills want.  Not going anywhere.

Could they go crazy and go light on WRs (Diggs, Davis, Crowder, McKenzie, Shakir) and keep all 4 since they have 2 pass catching RBs?  Rotate inactive RBs based on match-ups?

Edited by 1ManRaid

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.