Michael Silver spent the draft in the Bills' war room. Here is his excellent article.

Logic

https://www.ballysports.com/national/news/brandon-beane-s-lasting-formula-to-build-a-champion-in-buffalo

really good read.

Many of Beane’s biggest moves have come when he has given in to his aggressive nature, from the series of deft maneuvers that netted Allen with the seventh overall pick in 2018 to the 2020 trade for star wide receiver Stefon Diggs, and it’s not a tendency he can easily shed. After all, the man known to many in the Bills Mafia as “BBB” — Big Baller Beane — didn’t earn that nickname for nothing.

“It’s not always obvious to everyone, because he’s a friendly guy, but Brandon is a killer,” said Joe Schoen, who was Beane’s chief lieutenant in Buffalo before being hired as New York Giants general manager in January.

Or, in the words of Bills owner Terry Pegula: “This guy has ice water in his veins.”

‘Freaking out’ over Josh Allen

In the weeks leading up to the draft, Beane had several conversations with then-Browns GM John Dorsey. The two had worked out a trade to send Tyrod Taylor, the Bills’ incumbent QB, to Cleveland for the first pick in the third round, despite the fact that the Broncos were willing to offer more. Beane believed that Dorsey, in turn, would give him first dibs on securing the fourth overall pick, all things being equal. On numerous occasions, they discussed the framework of a deal that would allow the Bills to move up to No. 4, as long as another team didn’t swoop in with a much sweeter offer.

Then, on the eve of the draft, it all fell apart. Dorsey called and raised his asking price — substantially. Beane angrily ended the call; he would have to find another way to move up. (He and Dorsey, now a senior personnel executive for the Detroit Lions, have since smoothed things over.)

Thought this was interesting ⬆️

also, they had Allen at #1 and Mayfield at #2

By the time he arrived at the 2018 scouting combine in Indianapolis, Beane had Allen and Mayfield ranked as his top two quarterbacks — in that order — and was intent on getting one of them. The challenge was to find a trade partner in a highly competitive market, with numerous teams also seeking quarterbacks.

“I started talking to people at the combine about moving up, and nobody in the top 10 was giving me anything,” said Beane, whose response was to deal tackle Cordy Glenn to the Cincinnati Bengals and swap the No. 21 pick for No. 12 as part of that trade. “Once I got from 21 to 12, now people were like, ‘We can talk.’”

Five days later, while a Bills contingent was conducting a private workout with Allen in Wyoming, the Jets — who were also in the QB market — swung a deal with the Indianapolis Colts to move from the No. 6 to No. 3. “That,” Beane said, “was a kick in the you-know-what.”

Lots of interesting little tidbits from Schoen

Said Schoen: “Early on, (McDermott) was heavily invested (in the personnel process). The more we earned his trust, the more hands-off he was. It’s a testament to him that he and his coaches did such a great job of clearly defining what they were looking for, and then in developing the players we brought in.”

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I just posted this article too. Whoops!

I thought the Zack Moss stuff (about his injury last year) was really interesting too.

All in all, a great read that I highly recommend to everyone.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

Beane's lasting formula:

Draft an elite QB and then do a bunch of other things that make varying degrees of sense.

Presto.

Not to show too much behind the draft curtain but here is the 3rd round concoction he came up with per Joe Marino:

image.png.8aac23a2af61c7a066b09718779b01d4.png

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

Thank you for sharing. 

Very interesting.

Also, some additional insight re Moss and that he was coming back from an injury last year and BBB expects him to play well this year . . . . 

Excellent article!

I can't get over the fact that the Browns were willing to give up MORE than pick #65 for Tyrod Taylor, but that Beane was willing to only take the 3rd rd pick with the promise that we would have the inside track on trading for #4 overall. And then they reneged!

Edit

Whoops. It was the BRONCOS that were willing to give up more than #65 overall. Still can't believe there was that much of a market for TT (and I like the guy more than most on here). 

Edited by DabillsDaBillsDaBills
correcting my mistake
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Excellent article!

I can't get over the fact that the Browns were willing to give up MORE than pick #65 for Tyrod Taylor, but that Beane was willing to only take the 3rd rd pick with the promise that we would have the inside track on trading for #4 overall. And then they reneged!

You misread it.  The Broncos were willing to give up more than the Browns.  Beane thought he'd curry good favor with Dorsey by letting them have Tyrod for less.  Dorsey turned out to be a fink on draft day.  I'm sure that's a lesson learned by Beane.  Take the bird in the hand.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Excellent article!

No, i think it said a different team was willing to give up more…but yeah, still hard to believe.

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

I just posted this article too. Whoops!

I thought the Zack Moss stuff (about his injury last year) was really interesting too.

All in all, a great read that I highly recommend to everyone.

Looks like we were both creating our threads at almost exactly the same time! Within 1 minute of each other. yours was first but it must’ve posted after I started creating this one because I did look + search before posting it 😂

Mods feel free to merge my thread with his. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I want to know what the Broncos offered for Tyrod 

Me too! I’m thinking maybe a late 2nd? Browns gave the first pick of the 3rd round.

or a 3rd + a player? 3rd + 5th/6th? 

Id also like to know why the trade with Green Bay for #22 fell apart.

• Like (+1) 1

Fantastic article! Thanks for posting. Interesting confirmation that Breece Hall would have been the pick had Elam not been available. Great insight into the room, and the Joke Schoen sweating sorry is funny as h***!

Find it interesting the Bears didn’t get an idea who the Bills were taking with the 5th rounder.  Kinda thought trades were not made unless they knew who was being targeted.  

I guess it would apply to a few slot trade, not 20.  Then again, maybe Chicago thought Shakir was more a late 5th rounder.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.