Bills 2022 defense - better or worse?

BuffaloBill

The Bills Defense in 2022  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Overall is the Bills D better in 2022?

2. 2. If they get better, which of the following applies?

• Will be statistically better but not a “feared” D - “Bend but don’t break” and the offense will need to win games
    • They will be a “feared” D that can win games on their own
    • I chose, “they will be worse”

Many here would say that the Bills defense was not as good as the statistics indicated.  Probably most would agree that the Bills 2021 D did not generate enough sacks and was too porous against the run.  

You might argue that the defense cost the Bills 3 of their six losses (TN, IND & Cheats*) and there are those who will say the Bills D lost the game in KC. In many ways this metric is meaningless as it takes all three phases to win games. The phases also play off one another.

However, for purposes of discussion in this thread - does the Bills D get better in 2022?  If so, Does the D truly become elite in that it wins you games not just plays statistically well?

I chose worse but will be feared. I think they will still be a good defense but history tends to show a regression in defenses. I think they turn it on come playoff time but have some rough patches during the season that hurt the stat book. But they still finish top 10 in the regular season, but #1 during the playoffs when it counts. 

I don't know if they'll be statistically better, because we play better teams/quarterbacks this year.

However, I do think they will legitimately be elite/feared.. and not in the paper tiger sense that they were last year. 

• Agree 6

Miller, White, first round pick added.

Young DEs on the upswing, Oliver on the upswing, LBs in their prime.

Best safeties in their prime

If healthy we will be better in the playoffs than we were in the playoffs (without White) and give up fewer passing yards in any particular 13 second span than we might have last year.

As for the 17 game season, I don't think we will be ranked higher than #1, but probably just as good.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Awwufelloff said:

We finished as the #1 ranked defense last year, so going to go ahead and say we won't finish #1 this year. It's very difficult to do. The teams we face this year are much better than last. 

I didn't take their ranking into account when I was voting. I think they can have worse statistics and rankings but still be a better defense. To me, it will be all about how they perform against the top quarterbacks and how many 50+ yard rushing TDs they give up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Better.  Von Miller is a difference-maker.  Like additions to D-line.

The key will be if Elam is a HIT or miss, and if Tre comes back from injury and doesn't take a step back from previous level of play.

22 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don't know if they'll be statistically better, because we play better teams/quarterbacks this year.

However, I do think they will legitimately be elite/feared.. and not in the paper tiger sense that they were last year. 

I think it's a good chance they will be better in 2 stats,  pressuring the QB/more sacks. 2nd is run defense and hopefully won't give up as many big time runs.

12 minutes ago, MPT said:

I didn't take their ranking into account when I was voting. I think they can have worse statistics and rankings but still be a better defense. To me, it will be all about how they perform against the top quarterbacks and how many 50+ yard rushing TDs they give up.

Agree, me either. I had my mind on better pass rush and run defense. Not so much rankings in general

With Von Miller and the addition of Elam and bringing back some d linemen, the defense should be much improved.

The subtraction of Levi Wallace and finding his replacement should pay huge dividends.

I know some on this board liked Wallace, but he could not hold up to the added attention he received when White was playing.  Levi continually got taken advantage of with his weak coverage.  He had to play off the receivers and that was his undoing.

The fact that Wallace signed with the Steelers for under $3 mill per year shows that the Bills had no interest in bringing him back.

I love our draft.

I have learned over the life of my Bills fandom (beginning in 1963, yes I am old) not to have high expectations, but this team looks like the real deal.  Mybe this IS the year???

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Agree 1

Defense will be better better - able to win some games on their own. 

Tough to say they will be "feared" in a traditional sense.  Gone are the days of head-hunting safeties and defenders who drive a QB's head and body into the turf.  

• Like (+1) 1

We may not finish 1st in the league, but that was a mirage last year. Everyone knows that we weren't the best defense in the NFL, only statistics based. This year the pass rush will be night and day. We are better everywhere along the front four. The only people we won't have are Levi and Klein. The pass rush will make everyone in the Secondary look better as well. QB's rushed into decisions tend to make more mistakes. I think this will be a defense no one wants to face, especially come Playoff time. 

They will be statistically worse because they play tougher opposition. That isn't because they "can't deal with good offenses" or whatever that nonsense is. It is because good offenses score more points than bad offenses. The Bills will be a top 5 defense in yards and points again. They could be better in terms of play on the field and yet worse statistically. The 2020 defense finished 14th I think. There is no way there were 13 better defenses in the NFL. Sometimes the numbers are more who you play than anything. The Bills have been a top 5 or 6 defense for 4 seasons now.

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, Koufax said:

Miller, White, first round pick added.

Young DEs on the upswing, Oliver on the upswing, LBs in their prime.

Best safeties in their prime

If healthy we will be better in the playoffs than we were in the playoffs (without White) and give up fewer passing yards in any particular 13 second span than we might have last year.

As for the 17 game season, I don't think we will be ranked higher than #1, but probably just as good.

All of this plus DTs are also an upgrade, at least on the paper.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.