I think Greg Rousseau becomes an elite pass rusher in 2022

streetkings01

On 5/2/2022 at 11:33 AM, streetkings01 said:

Calling it now……Greg Rousseau gets double digit sacks in 2022. 

#1 - Von Miller on the other side getting double teamed ……lots of 1on1 action for GR.

#2 - Learning from Von Miller is gonna take his game to the next level.

#3 - Our offense is gonna force alot of opponents to throw the ball to try and play catch-up …….GR will be able to pin his ears back and eat.

#4 - A full year in Buffalo’s strength and conditioning program.

i feel good about him in 22…….12-15 sacks…..calling it now!

I love it, would jizz if he did, and if he hit the numbers you're talking about Beane should be GM of the year. He probably should get that even if GR doesnt explode. Talking heads all over mostly agree Buffalo has the most talented roster in the NFL. Von Miller being the only Big name hired gun on this roster

On 5/3/2022 at 12:33 AM, streetkings01 said:

#1 - Von Miller on the other side getting double teamed ……lots of 1on1 action for GR.

#3 - Our offense is gonna force alot of opponents to throw the ball to try and play catch-up …….GR will be able to pin his ears back and eat.

Hope you're right. I highly doubt it.

He isn't a wildly sudden guy. And he was not really getting doubled much last year

I feel good about him this year too. I'd be pretty happy if he gets maybe 6 - 8, which I think is quite possible.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hope you're right. I highly doubt it.

He isn't a wildly sudden guy. And he was not really getting doubled much last year

I feel good about him this year too. I'd be pretty happy if he gets maybe 6 - 8, which I think is quite possible.

Nor does he have any bend to turn the corner.  He may benefit greatly from Von Miller flushing QBs to his side while Oliver gets through the middle however.  Rousseau does a very good job of using his length to shed blockers and that could be a great fit.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Nor does he have any bend to turn the corner.  He may benefit greatly from Von Miller flushing QBs to his side while Oliver gets through the middle however.  Rousseau does a very good job of using his length to shed blockers and that could be a great fit.

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Hence there are only some things Rousseau can learn from Von Miller.  They are very different body types with very different skill sets.  Rousseau can probably use some of what Miller can teach in the way of hand fighting, anticipating snap count, persistence and such.  He's never going to have the bend that Miiller has around the edge though. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Long arms

That’s what she said…,

I could see him becoming an Arik Armstead type player.  Just needs to stack size and strength imo. I don’t think he’ll ever be the “edge rusher” everyone wants but he can bring it from anywhere and his wingspan will create problems.  

not sure if he’ll be worth his 2nd contract for us, if that means 20M a year.  Luckily, we don’t have to worry about that for another 3-4 years 

Don't forget about Boogie on the other side !!

Get down boogie oogie oogie

Get down boogie oogie oogie

Boogie Let GIF

On 5/2/2022 at 1:24 PM, Nextmanup said:

I have had enormous hope for him since Day One.  

Then last year happened and my enthusiasm lessened considerably.

Will be interesting to see what he does this year on the whole.  We'll get a much better idea of what we drafted after this year.

Did you forget he didn't play at all in the college season prior to bein drafted?  It was almost 2 years since he played in a game by the time he got on the field for real action, and he was raw as a freshman but he has tons of ability, just needs to be able to channel it.  I would suspect he is much better this year.

Edited by Big Turk

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Long arms

That is a very real thing that hurts when it comes to lifting, but helps enormously when playing defensive end.

I wonder how his offseason has gone in terms of growing into his body. He’s not the quick twitch/speed rusher kind of guy, but I can see him being very effective. 

Edited by Augie

On 5/31/2022 at 3:42 PM, HappyDays said:

As I said at the time and still believe........Rousseau was a great pick by the Bills.

But he will be under appreciated by fans because he isn't likely to look like a flashy, edge-bending pass rusher.

All he does is make A LOT of plays at and behind the LOS..........as evidenced by the graphic above.

He also tied for the NFL lead in run stops for a DL.........as a rookie..........but most fans were relatively oblivious to his impact there.

The guy played just one season of games in college...........after being a WR in HS.......but in that one season at The U he showed a really unique ability to follow the QB while engaged with the OL.........then level off with the QB.........and use his long arms and Wilt Chamberlain sized hands to pile up sacks and TFL's in bunches.

But even the strip sacks weren't spectacular like a Bruce Smith or Von Miller bending under an OT and running the arc to drill the QB from behind. 

He does have an incredibly long first stride, which is a great building block for him as a pass rusher..........but I think he is a guy who will produce more sacks and TFL's than he does ooh's and ahh's.

Perhaps a lot more.

His skillset is just different...........but it translates well to the NFL, IMO.

I certainly would not be surprised if he stacked up 10-15 sacks this season..........even when likely only playing around 50% of snaps..........and for some fans to still feel left less than impressed..........like watching a 7 footer in a slam dunk contest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

Credit where credit is due…..well done! 

He certainly looks for real, and I expect this level of play to continue, and even improve. He’s got the tools, and he seems to have the drive. And a helluva mentor! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He's also continuing to consistently lock down his gaps and finish plays against the run game as well. 

That's a very complete player in just his second year, and at a premium position and who's likely to keep getting better. 

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Credit where credit is due…..well done! 

He certainly looks for real, and I expect this level of play to continue, and even improve. He’s got the tools, and he seems to have the drive. And a helluva mentor! 

He might be like the pass rusher version of Josh Allen for Beane. “Let me draft the guy with the highest ceiling and the ***** you can’t teach, with a great work ethic, who is a bit raw - and then coach/develop them”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If he keeps this up, Beane will look like a genius. That kind of pass rush production is usually a top 3 pick.

Obviously having Von Miller draw some attention helps as well. For comparison Bradley Chubb was drafted 5th overall, played opposite Von Miller and had 7.5 sacks in his third season (2nd full season played). Baby Groot already has 3.5 in 3 games (on pace for 20).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.