I think Greg Rousseau becomes an elite pass rusher in 2022

streetkings01

Funnily enough I was watching his highlights on YouTube earlier. The video was only 3 minutes long as they just included his sacks and int.

I also think he could have a big year. He'll benefit from Miller, but will also have refined his technique a bit and improved his physicality. From memory he did well in run support and that's a part of a DE's game that can go underrated as everyone concentrates on sack numbers.

Also, I'm sure I read that he had a very good rating in terms of QB hurries/hits. But of course because the sack numbers weren't high he's seen as a disappointment. He did seem very inconsistent, with a game good game would be followed by a string of quiet ones but I'm getting old and my memory can't remember all the way back to last year.

I also think Basham will improve a lot as well. AJ? not so sure about him. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't make the team

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Dont forget about Boogie Basham.

He's going to take a huge leap this season !

Sure do hope so. He didn't see the field much early last season

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

Calling it now……Greg Rousseau gets double digit sacks in 2022. 

#1 - Von Miller on the other side getting double teamed ……lots of 1on1 action for GR.

#2 - Learning from Von Miller is gonna take his game to the next level.

#3 - Our offense is gonna force alot of opponents to throw the ball to try and play catch-up …….GR will be able to pin his ears back and eat.

#4 - A full year in Buffalo’s strength and conditioning program.

i feel good about him in 22…….12-15 sacks…..calling it now!

These are the kinds of thoughts I have when I've had 2 too many beers on any given evening in the off-season.  Except the "Calling it now!" part.  Don't know why but that phrase just irks the crap out of me.  No offense OP.  I'm in total agreement with you.

I have had enormous hope for him since Day One.  

Then last year happened and my enthusiasm lessened considerably.

Will be interesting to see what he does this year on the whole.  We'll get a much better idea of what we drafted after this year.

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Will be interesting to see what he does this year on the whole.  We'll get a much better idea of what we drafted after this year.

What made you feel that way? I thought he had a decent rookie year. He had times he could have been better, but that's expected from rookies much of the time. He made some plays and batted couple passes along with showing he could  stay disciplined against the run.

I mean clearly he has work to do as expected, but I didn't see anything that would "lessen my enthusiasm" or anything. I came away feeling he showed some upside and believe to have some promise. 

Nothing that makes me believe he won't get better and better....Idk, that's just me

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

When the quality of the line improves, every player improves.

But I agree - we saw the talent last year.  It's been mentioned that he added weight to his frame, and I think he's poised for a big breakout year.

Our pass rush in general is going to be night & day from last year.  It's exciting to have a team that this is this complete & dominant (on paper), on both sides of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think we saw some upside mixed in with a very young rookie cutting his teeth.
If I remember correctly lots of "experts" thought we would see more of Basham last year because Boogie was more pro ready then Rousseau but Rousseau ceiling was much higher.

I think he takes a solid jump upwards in 2022.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

It was on one Bills live. Said he looks like a different person. Bad things man bad things. 

Well Bruce DID stop in last year and offer some tips.......Bad Things Indeed!!!!

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Wow - the kid missed an ENTIRE year of college after sitting out due to Covid and he was still an unexpected surprise.  Remember everyone thought The Boggieman was going to be more polished and a better player......peeps have some short memories here.....

Edited by Kwai San
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoeF said:

Two things I noticed last year with him. 

First was the lack of bulk.  This made it hard for him to set the edge sometimes if he didn't get first leverage.  He is quick but would get taken out one on one if he didn't get the first step on the OT or TE 

Second, was the lack of counter moves.  He was a one trick power move and hands up rusher.  Hopefully, he has also been doing some work on this.

He has a really good first step.  A little more strength will help a lot.  

I was psyched for Epenesa after the first Dolphins game when he had all the pressures but he didn't really build on that game.

I hope both improve substantially this year and learn a lot from Von Miller.  

1) Yes he definitely lacked bulk.   Didn't hurt him setting the edge though.  He was just too long for most OT's and didn't give up ground.   He tied for the NFL lead in run stops for a DL (34) even though he played only 49% of the snaps for his team.    Turned out to be a great edge setting run defender right out of the box.

2) Yeah he was pretty much stalemated as a pass rusher as the season went on by a lack of diversity of moves.........and the rookie wall, IMO.    He had only played one full season of football since HS though.......the 2019 season at Miami.   The key to his pass rush is that long first step.......he is pretty unique in that regard and needs to build off that.   Then he has elite GPS for finding the QB and the Wilt Chamberlain wingspan and hands for snagging them(or ball carriers).   If he can pair some actual pass rush moves with his unique skillset he will be a beast.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3

He’ll need to learn how to rush from RDE, going against LTs, because Von’s best work comes on the left side of the formation, against RTs. I don’t know if I see Groot beating LTs off the edge for a double digit sack season. 

4 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

#1 - Von Miller on the other side getting double teamed ……lots of 1on1 action for GR.

#3 - Our offense is gonna force alot of opponents to throw the ball to try and play catch-up …….GR will be able to pin his ears back and eat.

I'm with it he's a freak of a specimen for sure and we added to dt as well upgraded our coverage(hopefully) with elam

4 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

DM me because I want to bet you he won't get that many sacks. Talk is cheap. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Yes he definitely lacked bulk.   Didn't hurt him setting the edge though.  He was just too long for most OT's and didn't give up ground.   He tied for the NFL lead in run stops for a DL (34) even though he played only 49% of the snaps for his team.    Turned out to be a great edge setting run defender right out of the box.

2) Yeah he was pretty much stalemated as a pass rusher as the season went on by a lack of diversity of moves.........and the rookie wall, IMO.    He had only played one full season of football since HS though.......the 2019 season at Miami.   The key to his pass rush is that long first step.......he is pretty unique in that regard and needs to build off that.   Then he has elite GPS for finding the QB and the Wilt Chamberlain wingspan and hands for snagging them(or ball carriers).   If he can pair some actual pass rush moves with his unique skillset he will be a beast.

Thanks for the data Badol...that was impressive setting the edge.  Maybe I need to update my eyeglass prescription.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, gobills404 said:

They need to line him up at 3T some on long and late downs. Most of his sack production at Miami came when he was lined up over guards.

I hope the Bills try it out. This is like the football equivalent of playing Tage at center. Worked well for Sabres, maybe it will work well for the Bills!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.