New nickname for our guy Matt Araiza

NeverOutNick

3 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2022/04/why-new-bills-punter-doesnt-like-punt-god-nickname-takes-draft-position-personally.html?outputType=amp

Matt isn’t a huge fan of his college nickname “punt god” so I’m hoping we can come up with something unique to Buffalo for our new big leg. We’ve got a creative group here so I’m hoping something sticks and makes him feel the bills mafia love 

You don't get to choose your nickname!  :)

I think Punt God will stick.

2 hours ago, BoccesOnTransit said:

What happened?

We drafted him in 1982 in the 7th round. This was actually a high pick for a kicker, as there were 12 rounds back then, so it would be like a 4th rounder today. He had a spectacular college career at Syracuse, and being known to have a super strong leg. Everyone knew he would be a future star.

We had high hopes, but he purposely sandbagged in the pre-season, so we had no choice but to cut him after giving him numerous chances in games. He wanted out of Buffalo, because Ralph was known to be cheap, and our reputation.

He went on to sign with Pittsburgh soon after, and the rest is history. He quickly became one of the greatest kickers in NFL history and had a long career, winning numerous honors. I am still stung by this 

EDIT: He is an f'in POS. Why did we waste a draft pick on him if he never was going to play for us? He should have been like Eli Manning and announce pre-draft he would never play for San Diego.

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I don't understand why it has to be the punter with Beane and McD.  Why can't the back-up QB do it like Romo and Reich used to?

32 out of 32 teams use the punter as the holder.  So it is not Beane and McD.

My understanding is yhey do this partly because of the CBA limiting practice time.  Taking a backup QB to hold takes him away from his primary job and there are not that many hours you are allowed to practice.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I don't understand why it has to be the punter with Beane and McD.  Why can't the back-up QB do it like Romo and Reich used to?

I completely agree. Keenum can hold 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

First -of- all, much like the rule for life on a family farm, do not give nicknames to players before they make the roster.  Second, my suggestion is Matt "The Risin' "Araiza.  His walkout song could be two bars from the chorus of Springsteen's song.

kicking-it-san-diego-style-araiza-novak-team-up

If you go to Nick Novak's Twitter feed there are several posted training videos.  One handed catches of long snaps, 50+ yard punts with 5.5 second hang time.  I think Haack working next to him is likely to experience punter envy just from the sound made when Araiza's foot strikes the ball.  He could make punting into funting.

Nobody gets to have a say in their nickname...that’s what makes nicknames great- It’s a descriptor of you by your peers...The fact that he doesn’t like it means it’s the perfect nickname, and he will always be Punt God...😉

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1