New nickname for our guy Matt Araiza

NeverOutNick

5 hours ago, george c said:

I’m just waiting to see if he’s good enough for the NFL before glossing him over.

This.

Plus we couldn’t teach a HoF rugby player how to chip block for 3 years so my expectations on him learning to hold are low.

9 hours ago, Nelius said:

It's impossible to top Punt God. There is no better punter nickname, although Rick Booten Tuten was pretty incredible.

Some dry G rated options that could work for both drunk dads and toddlers - Foot Man, Leg Lord (if Lord is too edgy then Leg Lad as an alternative), Matt "The Toe" Araiza

C'mon, it's Punt God.

On the podcast Joe Buscaglia suggested “hold god”

But that name is already taken by Ruben Brown. 

I’ll be here every night till Thursday…

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

I agree with Matt.  Punt god should be phased out.  It was fun for college but it’s the big leagues now.

Since a huge punt is often referred to as a “bomb” maybe that word should be incorporated into his new nickname. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

I would ask you to leave, but judging from your screen name, you're probably the team owner...🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

This.

Plus we couldn’t teach a HoF rugby player how to chip block for 3 years so my expectations on him learning to hold are low.

He shouldn’t have a problem with it. Suffice it to say that it’s hard for good college RBs to succeed in the NFL, much less guys who have never played the position until getting to the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

Legatron gets my vote

Already taken by Greg Zeuerlein. 

I’m with others on this thread in thinking Punt God is a terrible nickname. It’s basically a pun off a pun, which I hate. And it’s completely unearned in the NFL. I don’t have any better suggestions at this time, mostly because he hasn’t played in an NFL game yet or even made the team. But I won’t be referring to Araiza as anything other than his name for now. 

On 5/8/2022 at 11:20 AM, pennstate10 said:

How about Ken “Holding” Jones. They had to change his number to try to hide him from the refs.

Matt “the fans are worried I can’t hold” Araiza…,  or we can call him punt god…, 

On 5/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, BeastMode54 said:

Araiza con Punto

Awesome. 

On 5/8/2022 at 12:44 PM, StHustle said:

Legatron gets my vote

That sounds pretty BA.

In all seriousness, he has to make the team before I worry about it.  He’s basically the Josh Allen of Punters at this point.  All the tools are there, but everyone knows you can’t fix holding at this level.  Really though, he does have to reshape his punts to much more hang time and he has to be consistently good at the hold or he won’t make the team.  It’s really that simple.  I’m rooting for him, but he’s going to have to earn it.  You know damn well this team will take the holding on kicks over the extra yards on punts, they did it all last season.

Edited by DCofNC

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

He’s basically the Josh Allen of Punters at this point.  All the tools are there, but everyone knows you can’t fix holding at this level.

When people looked at Josh's low completion ratio coming out of college, they said, "You can't fix accuracy at this level."

So by comparing him to Josh, are you suggesting that you can, in fact, fix holding at this level?

• Haha (+1) 1