The 2nd Wave of Free Agency Starts Today at 4PM

Allen2Diggs

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

If we could resign D Williams, that would help a lot. He's pretty average, but substantially better than any other G on the roster besides Saffold. I'm not sold on Brown by a long shot, but I do think he has potential. The question is, how soon will Brown start playing at starter level. Hopefully that will happen this Summer.

If we sign Williams to a 1yr $4M is that equivalent to $400K additional cap hit because he is already at $3.6M?  If you can get him for <$5M that’s almost a no brainer if the current cap hit is absorbed by the new contract.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Beanes offensive line moves suggest Kromer is some sort of miracle worker😅

At least this hyped OL coach is actually good and we saw it with our own eyes.

The hype around Juan Jesus Christillo when McDermott first arrived was laughable.    

• Agree 3

On 5/5/2022 at 12:22 PM, GreggTX said:

If we could resign D Williams, that would help a lot. He's pretty average, but substantially better than any other G on the roster besides Saffold. I'm not sold on Brown by a long shot, but I do think he has potential. The question is, how soon will Brown start playing at starter level. Hopefully that will happen this Summer.

Bates is tailor made for Kromer

• Agree 1

He has to be coming. Just released after the Herbig claim. You can do a lot worse in terms of guard depth. He can play center too. He was terrible for the Jets but who wasn’t? Bills were in on him heavy in FA a couple of years ago. Former Panther. Smart Ivy league good guy. Former college left tackle. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

18 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He has to be coming. Just released after the Herbig claim. You can do a lot worse in terms of guard depth. He can play center too. He was terrible for the Jets but who wasn’t? Bills were in on him heavy in FA a couple of years ago. Former Panther. Smart Ivy league good guy. Former college left tackle. 

A1A9850A-FB39-4D97-823F-C5BA65B7D780.webp

At this point with 4 roster spots remaining (maybe even less as there could be other UDFA's that haven't been reported) - I don't think you can look at any FA and say "he's definitely coming in".

Guard is a big concern amongst fans on this board. But given how they addressed O-Line this offseason (currently 16 on the roster) and their lack of urgency in the Draft (going elsewhere with quality Guard's available when we picked in multiple rounds) - it doesn't appear to be to Beane.

Saffold and Bates are our starters. The pool of Quessenberry, Boettger, Mancz (who will fill in for Boettger at reserve Guard until he's ready while backing up at Center), and Ford - in conjunction with Futures signings like Capra and T/G flexible UDFA's will be widdled down to form the reserves.

You might not like the guys brought in already, but that doesn't change the fact that they were the one's Beane chose to address the position. He's not just going to keep signing more and more Lineman because people on this board see flaws in the ones that he went with.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

A1A9850A-FB39-4D97-823F-C5BA65B7D780.webp

Greg Van Roten

RAS from 10 years ago

image.thumb.png.d535bdd87d0e2541b723ca1896199177.png

The image you posted doesn't load on my apple devices so some might not see it either.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

At this point with 4 roster spots remaining (maybe even less as there could be other UDFA's that haven't been reported) - I don't think you can look at any FA and say "he's definitely coming in".

Guard is a big concern amongst fans on this board. But given how they addressed O-Line this offseason (currently 16 on the roster) and their lack of urgency in the Draft (going elsewhere with quality Guard's available when we picked in multiple rounds) - it doesn't appear to be to Beane.

Saffold and Bates are our starters. The pool of Quessenberry, Boettger, Mancz (who will fill in for Boettger at reserve Guard until he's ready while backing up at Center), and Ford - in conjunction with Futures signings like Capra and T/G flexible UDFA's will form the 2-3 reserves. 

You might not like the guys brought in already, but that doesn't change the fact that they were the one's Beane chose.

In my world the starting line is:

Dawkins-Saffold-Morse-Bates-Brown

Locks: Doyle, Quessenberry

Competition: Boettger (if healthy a lock), Mancz, Ford, all those other guys Tenuta etc. 

Van Roten is just a better version Mancz, plus he was drafted by Carolina and reportedly they pursued him hard in free agency before the Jets overpaid. I don’t have a problem with what they have done so far. But this is an obvious pick up for depth, and the presence of Mancz and Capra aren’t reasons to not pursue Van Roten. He was not available when Beane made those other signings. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, mrags said:

Hughes

cox

zimmer

klein

williams

sanders

are all possibilities.

I like it.. not sure about sanders after we drafted Shakir. And I’d be ok without Cox Jr. the others sign them up please. 

On 5/5/2022 at 3:22 PM, GreggTX said:

What about the guy you're overlooking who played really well at LG once he was finally given the extended opportunity late in the season? The same guy who projects to be even better in a wide zone scheme that relies upon athleticism. What about him?

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

I like it.. not sure about sanders after we drafted Shakir. And I’d be ok without Cox Jr. the others sign them up please. 

Diggs

Davis

Crowder

McKenzie

Shakir

Assuming we keep 6 (which we may keep 7) take your pick after that. Me personally, I’d much rather have Sanders than Kumerow or Stevenson. Maybe Hodgins but despite our faith in him, he hasn’t been able to crack the active roster. I will understand the argument for Kumerow for STs even though I hate the idea of skill positions like WR being utilized for STs positions unless they are game changers in the return game. And with players like Bernard and Shakir you may see players like Kumerow and Matakevich lose their STs jobs for players that have more to offer to their actual positions as well as STs play. 

24 minutes ago, mrags said:

Diggs

Davis

Crowder

McKenzie

Shakir

Assuming we keep 6 (which we may keep 7) take your pick after that. Me personally, I’d much rather have Sanders than Kumerow or Stevenson. Maybe Hodgins but despite our faith in him, he hasn’t been able to crack the active roster.

Imo, Sanders is done. Speed was his big trait but he has lost not one but two steps.  Those top 5 are fine and Stevenson, kumerow and Hodgins are good for the remaining spots.  With 2 TEs and receiving backx of Cook and Singletary,  we are not in desperate need of WRs

16 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Imo, Sanders is done. Speed was his big trait but he has lost not one but two steps.  Those top 5 are fine and Stevenson, kumerow and Hodgins are good for the remaining spots.  With 2 TEs and receiving backx of Cook and Singletary,  we are not in desperate need of WRs

Kumerow will get the last spot for his Special Teams play. We carried 7 last season, but that's a bit of an anomaly. Usually only carry 6. I think an extra spot will go to TE as well as CB this season, maybe even OL.

Stevenson was a late round flyer who was brought in exclusively for returning. He underachieved in that role and I expect Shakir to take over there. Hodgins was a guy we cut out of Training Camp last season and stuck around on the PS. He's not making the 53. He'll be lucky to make the Practice Squad again.

18 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I think your crazy if you’d rather have Hodgins, Kumerow, or Stevenson than Sanders. His experience alone, paired with the ability to play every spot in that room would be enough for me. Again, just my opinion. But the rest of those guys haven’t shown anything since they’ve been here besides some tackles on punt and kick returns. And like I said, I think Bernard and Shakir will excel in those spots for a year or 2 while they fight for playing time at their positions. 

59 minutes ago, mrags said:

I think your crazy if you’d rather have Hodgins, Kumerow, or Stevenson than Sanders. His experience alone, paired with the ability to play every spot in that room would be enough for me. Again, just my opinion. But the rest of those guys haven’t shown anything since they’ve been here besides some tackles on punt and kick returns. And like I said, I think Bernard and Shakir will excel in those spots for a year or 2 while they fight for playing time at their positions. 

Sanders is done. He said himself on Good Morning Football that when Allen asked him to come back he told him his knees are in rough shape. 

Crowder takes Beasley's spot. Shakir (as stated by Beane) will be the first person up on the Outside or Inside, taking Davis' spot with Davis taking Sanders' spot. Shakir will also probably do returns. McKenzie will also get his fair share of reps and may take returns if someone gets hurt and Shakir needs to take more reps on the outside.

Kumerow will stick as the 6th for his Special Teams. He was re-signed pretty much exclusively for that reason. Hopefully we'll never have to use him as a WR. Stevenson will go to the PS. Hodgins was never on the 53 and definitely won't be this year. His ceiling is back on the PS.

Last year we kept 7 WR's and 2 TE's. With the additions of O.J. Howard and James Cook as receiving threats - I see us keeping 6 WR's this year (will probably keep an extra TE this year and an extra CB with White's injury). Between Diggs, Davis, Crowder, Shakir, McKenzie, Cook, Knox, Howard, and possibly Wydermyer - we have more than enough pass catching firepower.

If Sanders were to return, it would probably be mid to late season if there were an injury.

• Agree 1

More interior OL depth shook loose from Kansas City. Austin Reiter was Mitch Morse’s backup in KC and filled in admirably when Morse was hurt. He also started as KC’s center in 2019 when Morse was gone and won the SB. After starting for them for two years, KC let him go when they drafted Creed Humprey. Signed as a FA with NO and has bounced around since. Athletic dude who has won a SB. 

Guys like Reiter and Van Roten are relatively young vets with starting experience who can play all three interior positions (Reiter is more of center and Van Roten is more of a guard) and would be perfect functional depth. Both should come cheap. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.