The 2nd Wave of Free Agency Starts Today at 4PM

Allen2Diggs

40 minutes ago, Billl said:

Somebody’s got to get those snaps.  Elam is going to start from day 1, but I’m not sure there’s another defensive player in the class I expect to get a lot of run this year.  Rousseau is the only rookie last year who played last year, and even he was on the field just under half the time.  Let’s assume he and Basham increase their snaps from 750 to 1100.  That’s the equivalent of one full time player, but it likely comes at the expense of snaps from Epenesa, and he’s the only defensive player besides Dane Jackson from the 2020 draft who sees the field basically at all.

That’s 3 years of draft picks where you can reasonably expect to get around 2,500 snaps from combined this season (roughly 13% of the total).  That’s a crazy low number.  It’s understandable in the context of this being the perfect time to go all in for a ring, but if I’m doing the math then so is Beane.  If you’re not playing your draft picks, and the FAs you’re bringing in are all third contract guys, you’d better have a plan to tear it down and get younger soon.

The key players on defense who are still young are Edmunds, Elam, and Rousseau.  White and Milano seem young, but Milano will be 28 in July, and White will turn 28 during the season.  The Chiefs were in this position a year ago and just watched Frank Clark, Bashaud Breeland, Daniel Sorensen, Anthony Hitchens, and Tyrann Matthieu all fall of a cliff when they turned 28.  They’re all gone other than Clark who will be turning 29 in July.  Other than that, the oldest starter is Chris Jones who is the exact same age as Milano.

That’s a long winded way of saying that Beane is going to do some serious roster churn on defense next offseason.  I have no doubt he’ll do it well, as he’s one of the absolute best in the business at forming and executing a plan.  I just don’t see extending a 30+ year old Safety as being part of that plan.

No Oliver?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I like those numbers. But wouldn't that Sanders price be steep for someone who plays 1 to 8 quarters a season 🤣 he's made out of wet toilet paper

Yes, after further review, Sanders prices may be too much.  And I don't know about Fuller being a process kind of guy, his injury/not playing history kind of makes it look like he isn't.

I think another outside WR would be nice though.  

23 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Nobody. I think we are all set at this point. 

I agree Mr. Miyagi.  I don’t know if we will maybe make a run at the 30+ market, but they cost a lot even at the minimum.  

I think we travel through camp, and if we have a key piece injured, then maybe they do a 180.  It is a hard cap, and although they can convert more signing bonuses from salary,  I think Beane already went pretty far.  We had a very good draft with good value.

• Agree 1

On 5/3/2022 at 11:52 AM, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It does feel like we're still thin at OL. Probably CB too. But OL worries me more, I do wish we could have done more there. 

We replaced our UDFA CB2 with a Rd1 pick and haven't lost anyone besides Levi. Dane played significant snaps last year and is solid. We have like 3 other CBs that have been in the system for at least a year, who else do you want to pick up, because they aren't starting. You're not going to take on Bradberry's rather large cap hit at this point to be a backup or a 6 week starter and then sit him. Are you implying you want Elam to sit?

Edited by ndirish1978

23 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Honestly, I would have tried to trade Poyer during the draft (maybe Beane did) instead of giving him a big extension. I'm just not sure whether Jaquan Johnson or Damar Hamlin are ready to fill Poyer's role. We can't extend everyone because that's how you get into cap hell in a few years.

safety and IOL have to be high on next years FA/Draft list.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It does feel like we're still thin at OL. Probably CB too. But OL worries me more, I do wish we could have done more there. 

It would be big mistake for Beane to not bring in another veteran IOL and DB between now and the start of the season.

Not necessarily looking for flashy names but some sort of proven commodity that can step in should the injury bug hit hard.

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

It would be big mistake for Beane to not bring in another veteran IOL

I am not sure we need to do this as Mancz and Queensbury are viable veteran backups (proven) inside.  And Cody Ford and Boettger are stlll here albeit Boettger is hurt.  

8 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

I am not sure we need to do this as Mancz and Queensbury are viable veteran backups (proven) inside.  And Cody Ford and Boettger are stlll here albeit Boettger is hurt.  

boettger will likely be on PUP/IR most of the year and I don't think Kromer is going to fix Ford and make him look even serviceable at this point. He simply looks like a bust that we likely move on from this summer.

Obviously still a lot of time to address the situation, even into the regular season/trade deadline but we somewhat lucked out last year when Boettger/Bates performed well above expectations and stabilized the line towards the end of the year.

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

boettger will likely be on PUP/IR most of the year and I don't think Kromer is going to fix Ford and make him look even serviceable at this point. He simply looks like a bust that we likely move on from this summer.

Obviously still a lot of time to address the situation, even into the regular season/trade deadline but we somewhat lucked out last year when Boettger/Bates performed well above expectations and stabilized the line towards the end of the year.

gotcha on the 2  Bills IOL holdovers.  Quessenberry has 32 NFL starts to his credit and Mancz has 23 so even if Ford and Boettger are gone or hurt, think IOL will be okay

I 'm doubtful Boettger will ever play for us again. He is coming back from the worst football injury possible that 0% ever fully recover their prior form, and was far from a roster lock even before that.

I would love us to bring in one more CB with some experience, unless we are sold that Elam and Jackson are ready to play primetime come week one. Besides that I would like to hold money until the season so we can have wiggle room if needed.

So idea…Cody Ford for Shane Lemieux? Who says no? Both are on expiring contracts. Ford gets to go to be with his buddy Bobby Johnson. Lemieux has had ups and downs and coming off an injury. Pretty similar RAS, but both could use a change of scenery. Ford can technically play T, Lemieux is an interior only guy. 

image.thumb.png.61b72b1f5adba436b40dd1f4245d6368.png

image.thumb.png.bac39d5bb3e1a15ac07f612632b7a506.png

• Vomit 1

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Does this account for the fact that both have been mediocre to bad when they’ve gotten those starts??? 

I mean… Qussenberry is a nice story, but he allowed the most sacks of any Tackle last season…. Still wondering why they thought he was good depth to bring in for a pass centric team.

To a team that repeatedly signs Bobby Hart . . . everyone looks like an upgrade.

• Like (+1) 1

If we could resign D Williams, that would help a lot. He's pretty average, but substantially better than any other G on the roster besides Saffold. I'm not sold on Brown by a long shot, but I do think he has potential. The question is, how soon will Brown start playing at starter level. Hopefully that will happen this Summer.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.