The 2nd Wave of Free Agency Starts Today at 4PM

Allen2Diggs

7 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

After 4PM today May 2nd, signing free agents will no longer count against the compensatory draft pick formula. This date used to be June 2nd, but it's been moved up this year.

While the Bills have very little cap space (we still don't know exactly how much cap our rookies will take up), Beane always knows how to make room using extensions (Poyer?) and restructures (maybe Dawkins)

Who do you think the Bills might add post-draft?

likewise, at this point next year’s comp picks can be very accurately projected

• Like (+1) 1

With the loss of Mongo, we really don’t have a backup center, do we? I’m not aware of any of our other IOL FA signings having that position flex. I know Boettger has snapped in practice, but beyond that, it would seem to be a pressing need, no?

9 hours ago, wppete said:

Who is out there we would be interested in?

any decent CBs or OL?

Bring back Klein and Daryl Williams on the cheap if possible. 

With Beane mentioning that Bernard was a replacement for Klein I'm sure that ship has sailed. 

10 hours ago, wppete said:

Who is out there we would be interested in?

any decent CBs or OL?

Bring back Klein and Daryl Williams on the cheap if possible. 

I think if Klein on a cheaper deal were in their plans, they'd have renegotiated his deal instead of cutting him. I don't see Klein as being the type of player who would balk at it and ask to be released, thinking another team would give him a better offer.

I think the same applies to Daryl Williams. It doesn't seem in Beane's makeup to straight up release someone instead of renegotiate and then re-sign them at a later date.

And although I could see Williams wanting to test his market a lot more than I could see Klein, we've already replaced him as a Starter with Rodger Saffold and retaining Ryan Bates and replaced his possible role as top reserve Swing Tackle/Guard in David Quessenberry.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

9 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Can't figure out why anyone thinks Quessenberry is an upgrade from the guards we've had the past couple of years. Looking at his history, looks like a journeyman who was average at best.  I'm going to guess Beane finds some better IOL after 4pm.

Like who? Williams?

9 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah, not sure what happens with Jerry, but my heart wants him to possibly win a SB here. However, they might be ready to let the younger guys take over. 

I don't see it. He'd have to take literal pennies on the dollar and way less snaps and take a backseat in the leadership role to Von Miller. I think they envision Von in and Jerry out as a changing of the guard.

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

With the loss of Mongo, we really don’t have a backup center, do we? I’m not aware of any of our other IOL FA signings having that position flex. I know Boettger has snapped in practice, but beyond that, it would seem to be a pressing need, no?

Bates filled in at C a couple years back and I believe can play anywhere on the line. They’d probably slide him over and bring Ike or Cody in at RG (or even Quisenberry).

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Bates filled in at C a couple years back and I believe can play anywhere on the line. They’d probably slide him over and bring Ike or Cody in at RG (or even Quisenberry).

@Rocky LandingMancz played C for Houston for an entire season In 2016 too

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, Billl said:

What kind of extension would you be willing to offer Poyer?  He’ll be 32 when his current contract is up so that’s likely a limiting factor.  I think Beane is going to be looking to push for a serious youth movement after this season, particularly on defense.  Between Poyer, Hyde, Lawson, Miller, and Phillips, they’ve got a lot of older players playing a ton of snaps.

The bolded portion of your post must be omitted outright. While Hyde, Poyer, and Miller WILL play a lot, there is NO evidence, suggestion, or even anticipation that Lawson and Phillips will see more than bottom-of-the-rotation/situational snaps. That is, IF they both make the 53 man roster. 

I agree that extending Poyer seems unwise, especially with Hyde already being re-upped for the next two seasons (with no cheap "out" after this year). That is, unless the Bills are willing to stomach both being on big deals for the next two seasons and THEN moving on without Hyde while keeping a re-signed Poyer. But I don't see that. I think Hyde makes more sense as the S they keep until he's demonstrably old. I see Poyer walking in free agency after 2022. Hopefully he plays out his deal so that can happen. 

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m wondering what the deal is with the bills and Darrell Williams they liked him enough when they brought him in to give him a second contract and we thought we were getting a great player now he’s sitting out there doing nothing why not bring him back on the vet minimum deal to back up at tack on guard

It's because we have a new OC in Dorsey and OLine Coach in Kromer who want to utilize a zone blocking scheme.  This places a premium on your Online being athletic and nimble.

The lowest RAS score of the Bills projected starters is 7.54 which is Dion's rating. Williams was a 2.54 RAS coming out of college. The following explains RAS  https://ras.football/2019/12/27/daryl-williams-ras/

Additionally , it now is apparent that Dorsey wants to use RBs in the screen passing game as an extension of the run game.  Another thing Williams could not block up given his lack of athleticism. 

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Boettger snaps (though doubt he is back likely on PUP), Mancz (Played Center in MIA last year) and Bates also snap.  

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The bolded portion of your post must be omitted outright. While Hyde, Poyer, and Miller WILL play a lot, there is NO evidence, suggestion, or even anticipation that Lawson and Phillips will see more than bottom-of-the-rotation/situational snaps. That is, IF they both make the 53 man roster. 

I agree that extending Poyer seems unwise, especially with Hyde already being re-upped for the next two seasons (with no cheap "out" after this year). That is, unless the Bills are willing to stomach both being on big deals for the next two seasons and THEN moving on without Hyde while keeping a re-signed Poyer. But I don't see that. I think Hyde makes more sense as the S they keep until he's demonstrably old. I see Poyer walking in free agency after 2022. Hopefully he plays out his deal so that can happen. 

Somebody’s got to get those snaps.  Elam is going to start from day 1, but I’m not sure there’s another defensive player in the class I expect to get a lot of run this year.  Rousseau is the only rookie last year who played last year, and even he was on the field just under half the time.  Let’s assume he and Basham increase their snaps from 750 to 1100.  That’s the equivalent of one full time player, but it likely comes at the expense of snaps from Epenesa, and he’s the only defensive player besides Dane Jackson from the 2020 draft who sees the field basically at all.

That’s 3 years of draft picks where you can reasonably expect to get around 2,500 snaps from combined this season (roughly 13% of the total).  That’s a crazy low number.  It’s understandable in the context of this being the perfect time to go all in for a ring, but if I’m doing the math then so is Beane.  If you’re not playing your draft picks, and the FAs you’re bringing in are all third contract guys, you’d better have a plan to tear it down and get younger soon.

The key players on defense who are still young are Edmunds, Elam, and Rousseau.  White and Milano seem young, but Milano will be 28 in July, and White will turn 28 during the season.  The Chiefs were in this position a year ago and just watched Frank Clark, Bashaud Breeland, Daniel Sorensen, Anthony Hitchens, and Tyrann Matthieu all fall of a cliff when they turned 28.  They’re all gone other than Clark who will be turning 29 in July.  Other than that, the oldest starter is Chris Jones who is the exact same age as Milano.

That’s a long winded way of saying that Beane is going to do some serious roster churn on defense next offseason.  I have no doubt he’ll do it well, as he’s one of the absolute best in the business at forming and executing a plan.  I just don’t see extending a 30+ year old Safety as being part of that plan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Only have about 5 million left after they sign draft picks so I wouldn’t expect more than a handful of vet minimum deals 

The cap is in the eyes of the beholder. There are plenty of ways to kick money down the road for someone that is a difference-maker. Camp fodder is not in the top 51, so that doesn't even count.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

AJ signed with AZ.  I need you on the W Fuller bandwagon - 4.32 speed at Sanders prices.

I like those numbers. But wouldn't that Sanders price be steep for someone who plays 1 to 8 quarters a season 🤣 he's made out of wet toilet paper

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.