The 2nd Wave of Free Agency Starts Today at 4PM

Allen2Diggs

After 4PM today May 2nd, signing free agents will no longer count against the compensatory draft pick formula. This date used to be June 2nd, but it's been moved up this year.

While the Bills have very little cap space (we still don't know exactly how much cap our rookies will take up), Beane always knows how to make room using extensions (Poyer?) and restructures (maybe Dawkins)

Who do you think the Bills might add post-draft?

• Like (+1) 1

Seems like they moved on from the Williams idea with the signing of Quessenberry (sp?) but I’d like to see him brought back. Same with Jerry Hughes, but I’m sure neither would take a vet minimum deal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

After 4PM today May 2nd, signing free agents will no longer count against the compensatory draft pick formula. This date used to be June 2nd, but it's been moved up this year.

While the Bills have very little cap space (we still don't know exactly how much cap our rookies will take up), Beane always knows how to make room using extensions (Poyer?) and restructures (maybe Dawkins)

Nobody. I think we are all set at this point. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, wppete said:

Who is out there we would be interested in?

any decent CBs or OL?

Bring back Klein and Daryl Williams on the cheap if possible. 

Joe Haden is still out there and apparently Von has been recruiting him. He's 33 so it would have to be a one-year deal. Elam needs competition and shouldn't just be handed the #2 cb job.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Joe Haden is still out there and apparently Von has been recruiting him. He's 33 so it would have to be a one-year deal. Elam needs competition and shouldn't just be handed the #2 cb job.

He’ll compete with Dane Jackson 

11 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Seems like they moved on from the Williams idea with the signing of Quessenberry (sp?) but I’d like to see him brought back. Same with Jerry Hughes, but I’m sure neither would take a vet minimum deal.

Can't figure out why anyone thinks Quessenberry is an upgrade from the guards we've had the past couple of years. Looking at his history, looks like a journeyman who was average at best.  I'm going to guess Beane finds some better IOL after 4pm.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GolfandBills said:

He’ll compete with Dane Jackson 

Would be pretty exciting if we can secure Haden. Take pressure of Tredavious, let him come back fully healthy and not rushed. 
would be an impressive 4 CBs.

Elam - Haden

Tre White - Dane Jackson

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

So I don't think it's correct we don't know how much cap space our rookies will take up.

Spotrac has it listed on https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Scroll down to 2022 Projected Draft Pool Cap and look at the "top 51" for now: $4.7M

Then scroll up and observe that the top 3 picks will displace 3 players from the top 51.  Subtract their cap hit and add back their signing bonuses, giving $2.6M

Therefore the cap space our rookies will take up is $4.7M - $2.6M = $2.1M

According to Spotrac then, we have about $5.2M of top-51 cap space after the $2.1M top-51 impact to sign rookies is subtracted.

It should be noted that right now, Poyer is taking up the Bills 6th highest cap hit at $10.8M, and that any extension worked out with him could potentially lower this.

I'd still be open to a flyer on Jarvis Landry or Julio Jones. I know Jones' health is questionable, but if you can get close to Atlanta Julio that's a scary thought, Landry would be a safety blanket as he makes his living underneath and gives us a good YAC guy

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

55 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The Rookies will take a Max of 2M with the top 51 rules.

Elam Cap Hit 2.48M (Gilliam Falls off 901K) Total Cap hit for Elam - 1.579

Cook Cap hit 1.060M (Doyle falls off 903K) Total cap hit for Cook - 157K

Bernard Cap hit 932K (Barkely Falls off 920K) Total cap hit for Bernard 12K

All the Rest will not be counted in the top 51 rules as their cap hits are all under the next drop off of Cam Lewis at 925K

So Based on SPOTRAC The Rookies will be around 1.748

Space right now by SPOTRAC is 7.327 (Top 51) Negative 5.502 (Normal rules)

So about 5.579M in space right now based on top 51 rules.

Based on the UDFA reported Signings of 10 (and then 3 camp invites) the Bills are sitting with 5 open roster spots to get to 90

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Yeah, not sure what happens with Jerry, but my heart wants him to possibly win a SB here. However, they might be ready to let the younger guys take over. 

• Like (+1) 1

Some ideas: 

Riley Reiff T - Perfect swing tackle who has a lot of experience and could start for you if need be. 

Billy Price C/G - Interior O linemen who has had a very disappointing career so far. Can play guard or center and played much better with the Giants. 

Trey Hopkins also makes sense as a backup IOL. 

Kyle Long is probably done, but is a Kromer guy from his time with the Bears. 

Jesse James TE - Is it finally time for this to happen? 

Stephen Carlson - H back type tight end 

Dante Pettis WR - I think there is something there. Always liked him and can compete as a return guy

Will Fuller WR - He hasn't't played in a while, but he is the guy who can stretch the field, which we don't quite have in our corps right now. I know a lot of people don't like him, but I think he is a fit. 

Landon Collins - DB - A chance to revive his career and he could serve as a top flight #3 safety, play a ton of specials and play some heavy nickel. Collins is coming out of Ron rivera's system, so should have some knowledge about the scheme. 

That's all I got. 

• Like (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.