Happy Birthday, The Weather Channel

SoTier

10 hours ago, T&C said:

I have now lived in SE FL long enough to know that TWC very deliberately hides/bends/manipulates the Truth to make all things as horrific and scary as possible--to the point that I no longer rely on them for weather related information.

I'm specifically talking about our annual hurricane scare that usually comes in the first week of September.

For a week or so there will be a ton of national talk about the big hurricane that might hit FL and all the local grocery stores and gas stations go empty.  Everyone shudders their windows and hopes the big storm misses.

During these periods, the local weather guys really come to the fore with honest, accurate information.  They will always encourage safety and evacuation if you are in an evacuation zone, but if the storm is weakening or moving away from us, they will say as much.

At those times, TWC will just continue to go foot to floor "doom and gloom" 24/7, to the point where I have learned you can't rely on them for accurate information.

Doom and gloom sells, and the vast majority of TWC's viewers are NOT going to be impacted by the hurricane, so why not deliberately over-dramatize the situation?   That seems to be their approach.

Their shtick is deliberate and done in bad faith.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I'd like it better if they'd stick to the weather, and bag all the global warming crap.

Yeah, we certainly don't want highly trained professional meteorologists telling us about the relationship between climate and weather when any scientifically illiterate senator can debunk that crap by making a snowball in January.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 5/3/2022 at 11:29 PM, Marv's Neighbor said:

I'd like it better if they'd stick to the weather, and bag all the global warming crap.  Hope to never see Jim Cantore  near where I live!

You sound like one of those fools who don't wear seat belts because he/she doesn't personally know anybody who was saved from serious injury or death because he/she was wearing one.  

On 5/4/2022 at 5:53 AM, Nextmanup said:

I have now lived in SE FL long enough to know that TWC very deliberately hides/bends/manipulates the Truth to make all things as horrific and scary as possible--to the point that I no longer rely on them for weather related information.

I'm specifically talking about our annual hurricane scare that usually comes in the first week of September.

For a week or so there will be a ton of national talk about the big hurricane that might hit FL and all the local grocery stores and gas stations go empty.  Everyone shudders their windows and hopes the big storm misses.

During these periods, the local weather guys really come to the fore with honest, accurate information.  They will always encourage safety and evacuation if you are in an evacuation zone, but if the storm is weakening or moving away from us, they will say as much.

At those times, TWC will just continue to go foot to floor "doom and gloom" 24/7, to the point where I have learned you can't rely on them for accurate information.

Doom and gloom sells, and the vast majority of TWC's viewers are NOT going to be impacted by the hurricane, so why not deliberately over-dramatize the situation?   That seems to be their approach.

You do realize that a week out from landfall, the exact path of any hurricane is still too subject to a variety of atmospheric steering forces for anyone to predict with high accuracy for any specific location, right?    It's hardly "bad faith" to warn people of the possibility of dangerous weather.    Prior to Katrina, Louisianans and other Gulf Coast residents held "hurricane parties" as they waited for big storms to come ashore rather than evacuate.   They don't do that much any more.

On 5/4/2022 at 5:53 AM, Nextmanup said:

Tampa here... when the storms start banging around in the Atlantic I rely on the locals (ch. 13 Paul Delegatto) and bay news 9 on the internet. Between them they are usually right on. Haven't watched TWC in many many years... probably since they started actually naming domestic storms/weather events. Snowstorm Sally is a bit too much lol.

Edited by T&C

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Tampa here... when the storms start banging around in the Atlantic I rely on the locals (ch. 13 Paul Delegatto) and bay news 9 on the internet. Between them they are usually right on. Haven't watched TWC in many many years... probably since they started actually naming domestic storms/weather events. Snowstorm Sally is a bit too much lol.

I can't tell you where I was for Snowstorm Sally, but if you ask me about the blizzard of '93, I was heading home that Friday and wondered why the grocery store was so busy.  Then I remembered the storm was coming.  Spent the rest of the weekend in the house, until sometime late Sunday when it finally stopped so we could dig out.  

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

You sound like one of those fools who don't wear seat belts because he/she doesn't personally know anybody who was saved from serious injury or death because he/she was wearing one.  

You do realize that a week out from landfall, the exact path of any hurricane is still too subject to a variety of atmospheric steering forces for anyone to predict with high accuracy for any specific location, right?    It's hardly "bad faith" to warn people of the possibility of dangerous weather.    Prior to Katrina, Louisianans and other Gulf Coast residents held "hurricane parties" as they waited for big storms to come ashore rather than evacuate.   They don't do that much any more.

Weather is, and always has been cyclical.  Not influenced by anything we are able to do, or control.  WTF that has to do with seat belts regarding vehicle or aircraft safety remains a mystery.

People don't do hurricane parties much anymore because most of them died in the hurricane.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.