Wet Leg "Wet Dream" - 2 obscure Buffalo references

PromoTheRobot

this band is very much the genre of "Indie Pop" and the group is doing very well in  that demographic. What struck me about this band is being a 2 piece female duo ..they have zero qualms flaunting their sexual selves.....forget slut shaming them. in their next single "Chaise Lounge" singer wants "to get horizontal now" On the chaise lounge on the chaise lounge on th chaise lounge all day long  on the chaise lounge. Another video I saw they use an italian squash as a phallic symbol.

These girls dont give a damn, overtly sexual in a prairie girl costume welcome to what a lot of kids are listening to. lol

I'll post a link to that 2nd song. I think their sound is catchy in an odd kind of what the heck kind of way for me.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

1) The song lyric mentions the Vincent Gallo movie "Buffalo 66."

2) One of the band members is wearing an "S&S Taxidermy" t-shirt.  S&S is located in Springville NY.

A coincidence?

No coincidence. I am guessing there are WNY connections in that group somewhere...I cant prove it but it is pretty coincidental if just random. Im not buying that.

Edited by muppy

Just now, Just Jack said:

I like their sound too; I would probably go see them in concert if it was close for me. 

I wonder what size venues they would play. I see them doing the summer festivals circuit

19 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

2) One of the band members is wearing an "S&S Taxidermy" t-shirt.  S&S is located in Springville NY.

A coincidence?

Not a fan of the band.  I've tried but just can't warm up to them

23 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A coincidence?

Pretty sure that's @Limeaid's grandma's farm off California Road.

Upon recommendation by my daughter, I have been following this band now for nearly a year. They produce some of the most catching indie pop on the market right now. Both of the "official" band members (Rhian Teasdale and Heather Chambers) and their three band mates are from the Isle of Wight on the south coast of England. There does not appear to be an obvious link of any band member to Western New York. All the videos are shot in England, mostly on the Isle of Wight. An interpretation of the Buffalo 66 reference is given here:

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-indie-film-in-wet-leg-song-wet-dream/

I have no idea how a band member ended up with a t-shirt of a WNY taxidermy.

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/2/2022 at 7:53 AM, muppy said:

this band is very much the genre of "Indie Pop" and the group is doing very well in  that demographic. What struck me about this band is being a 2 piece female duo ..they have zero qualms flaunting their sexual selves.....forget slut shaming them. in their next single "Chaise Lounge" singer wants "to get horizontal now" On the chaise lounge on the chaise lounge on th chaise lounge all day long  on the chaise lounge. Another video I saw they use an italian squash as a phallic symbol.

These girls dont give a damn, overtly sexual in a prairie girl costume welcome to what a lot of kids are listening to. lol

I'll post a link to that 2nd song. I think their sound is catchy in an odd kind of what the heck kind of way for me.

Catchy song. Yeah, female rock stars have had zero qualms since the late 60s, I think...

12 hours ago, DrW said:

Here they are in a concert. (I have uploaded the same video in the "Share some music" thread.)

I just realized something. The lyric on the first song in this set has some killer lyrics just sayin'......these  girls are indie Preachers lmao

I'm not sure if this is the kinda life that I saw my self living

I don't need no dating app
To tell me if I look like crap
To tell me if I'm thin or fat
To tell me, should I shave my rat
I don't need no radio, no MTV, no BBC
I just need a bubble bath to send me on a higher path

10 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Catchy song. Yeah, female rock stars have had zero qualms since the late 60s, I think...

haha yeah well Im a big fan of all kinds of music and lots of female artists are my icons. My bestie* Bonnie Raitt, especially back in the 70's, was not what I would call overtly sexual in her lyrics.  But she was Very sensual in her performance. 

anyway my point I can't be the first person their lyrics have drawn me to their songs. Like I said Catchy. Indie Pop.   There musical  careers are made from that first song. Many indie bands have touring careers based on having had ONE hit. This group is doing really well from what I gather. Good for them!

m

Edited by muppy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.