• Elam, CB Florida
    • Cook, RB Georgia
    • Bernard, LB Baylor
    • Shakir, WR Boise St
    • Araiza, P SD State
    • Benford, CB Villanova
    • Tenuta, OT Virginia Tech
    • Spector LB Clemson

When the names were called, Shakir. But now after I digested it all a little, its Elam.

I wanted Booth so much and was like 100% convinced we take him if he is there,  that I was in shock when we took Kaiir and quite dissapointed. But now after watching him and reading about him I love that pick.

Shakir is 2nd because of value. Cook close 3rd. Bernard is such a wild card.

Usually saying a punter was your favorite pick is an indictment on the overall draft. In this case it’s not. He has potential to be an all time great and they way he can flip the field from anywhere is a huge asset when you got the defense we do. 

I feel Cook will have the biggest impact year one tho.

I voted Elam.  He wasn't my first-choice CB, but if they like him better than Gordon or Booth then fine.  I was not a big fan of his tackling, but they must think they can fix that.  He has size, speed and competed at the highest level in college.  I didn't originally realize that he was related to former NFL players as well.  He sounds like he is quite mature and very serious about being a pro.

I will admit that I wasn't originally very excited about Cook, but he is essentially a receiver with the ability to run the ball rather than vice-versa.  He has great speed and quickness with very good hands.  While Breece Hall was touted as a good receiving back, I think Cook is a considerably better receiver.  

Shakir in the 5th was a nice pick, but how many slot WRs do they need?  They have Crowder as the starter and McKenzie showed a major flash at the spot vs. NE. They say Shakir can play outside, but better in the slot.  They did need receiving talent and missed out on the outside WRs, so he was a nice "get".

Nobody asked, but my least favorite was Terrel Bernard.  Not because they didn't need LB depth or even because of the player himself.  My disappointment was just using a 3rd rounder on such an undersized LB.  Maybe they catch lightning in a bottle and have drafted the next Matt Milano, but if not, they likely picked a special teams ace and sub-package LB at the end of round 3.  I'm usually the one trying to emphasize that the hit-rate for finding starters in the 3rd is maybe 25%, so maybe in that light this isn't a bad pick.

I like that they took a shot on Matt Araiza, but it will not surprise me if he doesn't beat out Haack.  Haack was horrible last season, but has had a good career before that.  Araiza has a very strong leg, but he has to learn how to be a pro punter - show that he can get good hang time, punt directionally and pin opponents inside their 20.  It isn't enough to just boom long, low punts that can be returned.  Excited to see what he can become, but not a sure thing at all.  

Edited by OldTimer1960

16 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I voted Elam.  He wasn't my first-choice CB, but if they like him better than Gordon or Booth then fine.  I was not a big fan of his tackling, but they must think they can fix that.  He has size, speed and competed at the highest level in college.  I didn't originally realize that he was related to former NFL players as well.  He sounds like he is quite mature and very serious about being a pro.

I will admit that I wasn't originally very excited about Cook, but he is essentially a receiver with the ability to run the ball rather than vice-versa.  He has great speed and quickness with very good hands.  While Breece Hall was touted as a good receiving back, I think Cook is a considerably better receiver.  

Shakir in the 5th was a nice pick, but how many slot WRs do they need?  They have Crowder as the starter and McKenzie showed a major flash at the spot vs. NE. They say Shakir can play outside, but better in the slot.  They did need receiving talent and missed out on the outside WRs, so he was a nice "get".

Nobody asked, but my least favorite was Terrel Bernard.  Not because they didn't need LB depth or even because of the player himself.  My disappointment was just using a 3rd rounder on such an undersized LB.  Maybe they catch lightning in a bottle and have drafted the next Matt Milano, but if not, they likely picked a special teams ace and sub-package LB at the end of round 3.  I'm usually the one trying to emphasize that the hit-rate for finding starters in the 3rd is maybe 25%, so maybe in that light this isn't a bad pick.

I like that they took a shot on Matt Araiza, but it will not surprise me if he doesn't beat out Haack.  Haack was horrible last season, but has had a good career before that.  Araiza has a very strong leg, but he has to learn how to be a pro punter - show that he can get good hang time, punt directionally and pin opponents inside their 20.  It isn't enough to just boom long, low punts that can be returned.  Excited to see what he can become, but not a sure thing at all.  

Agree about Araiza, but the Bills are going to want him to win the job so unless he completely blows he will most likely be our punter

I picked Elam because I just watched the video of him at the Combine pulling out all the notes he had taken. Notes about what receivers did, what he did, mistakes he made. McDermott is famous for taking notes, he had to love this. That being said I also watched highlights of Cook and Shakir, I could have easily chosen one of them. This season is going to be fun.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, buffblue said:

Agree about Araiza, but the Bills are going to want him to win the job so unless he completely blows he will most likely be our punter

Yep.  Araiza is an athlete.  I strongly believe that he can learn the nuances of punting at the NFL level.  I think he will work to succeed.  Still, there will be some growing pains and the Bills will have to accept that.  In the worst case it could cost them a game, but I think the upside is worth it.  On the flip-side, I imagine that several NFL punters could kick it as far as Araiza does if hang time isn't a consideration.

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

When the names were called, Shakir. But now after I digested it all a little, its Elam.

I wanted Booth so much and was like 100% convinced we take him if he is there,  that I was in shock when we took Kaiir and quite dissapointed. But now after watching him and reading about him I love that pick.

Shakir is 2nd because of value. Cook close 3rd. Bernard is such a wild card.

I feel pretty much the exact same way, in love with the value of Shakir and I'm a bronco fan.

But over all I think I'm most excited about watching josh roll out and instead of having to make an amazing play with his feet he dumps it off to cook and cook out runs the LBs and picks up an easy 1st down for josh. Just a simple but huge factor the bills have been missing.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm going Cook. A lot of scouts were referring to him as a Kamara type. If we get 90% of that or 90% of his brother, we are going to have a dynamic 1-2 punch in the backfield and another strong weapon for Josh.  People won't know how to defend us. I think Beane did a good job of filling holes and building depth. 

Surprised to see Punt God so low. That seemed like a fan favorite. Maybe it's just the cool nickname but if he can boot the ball like they say he can and can learn how to hold then we might have our punter for the next decade

Edited by KDIGGZ

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.