My draft recap and random thoughts.

NewEra

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Did I say anything to the contrary?

Not at all, I was just adding to what you said. Many Bills fans had a crazy obsession with drafting a WR in the first 2 rounds no matter what. Elam and Cook to me are clearly better prospects than any WR available at those spots and both add an element that was sorely missing last year. Like you said the theme of this draft was versatility.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Elam is an important addition because he adds a new skill set to the secondary. Beane said today that there were opponents last year where we would have liked to play press man against them, but our CBs simply lacked the skill set for that to be possible. He didn't openly mention the Chiefs but it sure would have been nice to have someone capable of pressing Tyreek Hill instead of freely giving him space to work open. Because our CBs had a limited skill set, especially after White went down, Frazier was restricted in his game planning. A restricted scheme is vulnerable and an offensive genius like Andy Reid will take full advantage. Elam gives us a ton of versatility, and when White is back to his usual self our secondary call sheet will be limitless. I'm expecting a very different defense this year. McDermott knows our defense has gotten a little stale. They're going to add some wrinkles and make it much less predictable.

Thanks.  That sounds correct, all the way around.   

And in the wrinkles and less predictable category, put Bernard on the field.  I think that's the other part of the vision you describe.  McDermott very much wants to get pressure from for defensive linemen, and Beane made the off-season acquisitions to increase the ability to bring pressure.   If he's getting really good pressure from four, then he can afford, even benefit from, putting a guy like Bernard out there, a guy who can play many different roles.  

McDermott is just doing what he's always said.  He wants his teams to play every style, to attack and defend in ways that can be disguised and that flow from concept to concept.   That's what I've just been writing about Cook, too.  

I find it amazing.  McDermott said when he came to Buffalo that this is what he was going to do, and we're watching him do it.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Billl said:

I definitely believe that was the case with Elam.  He’s almost certainly a day 1 starter.  Do you see any of the other picks starting either right away or taking over the spot for non-injury reasons?

James Cook will effectively be a starter just in a very specialized role that no one else on the team can perform. The rest of our picks are for depth and keeping the pipeline full.

In general McDermott brings his rookies along slowly. But our 1st rounders have all started practically right away. I'll be shocked if Elam isn't our plug and play CB1 while Tre White recovers from his ACL. They're not going to have him play the same style as Levi Wallace. Wallace more often than not was supposed to hang back and make a tackle if a short pass was thrown. He had zero physical upside. Elam will play close to the line and actually try to disrupt his WR's route.

• Like (+1) 1

Listen to me on Bernard:  HE WILL BE OUR MAHOMES SPY

Hear me out:  he is an effective blitzer, diagnosed plays well at Baylor and so tough and hard-nosed grinder.  

He was all over the field in their bowl game recently and a constant disruptor.  

I like him vs KC and in the playoffs against the really tough QBs we will be facing.  

• Like (+1) 5

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The ending of the Chiefs game really only explains the Elam pick, though.  The rest of the picks seem designed to improve special teams - literally all of them will play important roles on Teams in 2022.  If the Bills can get younger, cheaper AND better on Teams it will win them an extra game or two next season.

Beane did not go into the draft looking for special team players. No way was that his mindset. 

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It was a nod to the fans.  very popular predraft character.

I don't think Beane selects draft picks based on fan approval. That's a recipe for disaster especially if he listened to me. He drafted a punter because that position needed to be improved. I know your post is sarcasm. 

8 hours ago, VW82 said:

I'm still in love with the Cook pick, value or not. He's going to be a difference maker for us sooner rather than later. 

I share your concerns about the OL. Never been a big fan of Morse. He's a heady player but his history of concussions is so concerning and he handicaps any chance of a solid run game. Saffold can't stay on the field either. It wasn't exactly confidence inspiring to hear Beane still touting Cody after the draft either. At least we have OL stability??

All in all, good draft. When you're a juggernaut, you draft for need and we had a need for speed. Mission accomplished.  

Morse has only missed 2 games since he has been with us and he had an excellent year last year. He certainly started slow at the top of his contract but that stability of a veteran center who is extremely smart does a lot for a quarterback’s development. His history of concussions does not influence his play or hold back the tun game. 

Saffold missed four games in the last six years. His play has fallen off in some ways, but he is a massive upgrade over Feliciano and Williams. 

I do think depth is somewhat of a concern, but there are still bodies on free agency who have some versatility. Plus David Quessenberry signing really lengthened the depth as he can play both tackles and guard. I am a Spencer Brown fan and I do like Tommy Doyle. With Ryan Bates coming back we are in excellent shape. We could use a veteran free agent like Reilly Reiff who would be the perfect swing tackle backup. Also keep in mind that people will get cut over the next couple of weeks. 

On the Cody Ford thing, what is Beane supposed to say? “Look I screwed up. He blows and there is no hope for him. I really should have drafted DK Metcalf.” There is nothing wrong with seeing if Kromer, who revived the lost career of Austin Corbett, could do it again. 

I think we are going to be ok. I think they liked Cam Jurgens and Logan Bruss. Jurgens was gone before they picked in the 2nd and Bruss went at the end of the third. Both higher than anticipated IMO. They passed on other guys, so I don’t think the value was there for them. I suppose they could have drafted Bruss instead of Bernard, but one has to assume they had a higher grade on Bernard. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
Spelling issues galore
  • Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, f0neguy said:

With the drafting of two 220+ LB’s that can fly with good/great instincts I wonder if McBeane are looking at changing what we do.  Edmonds has the physical attributes but no feel for the game.   What if we could throw two or three Milano’s on the field at the same time?  Perhaps the days of 250 lb thumpers is over.

I give all respect to Micah Hyde.  There he stood, open field, last man between Derrick Henry and a long gain ending in a TD.  He squared him up, got set, and executed a textbook tackle which Henry promptly ran over.  Hyde hung on for grim life and slowed Henry to the point where other defenders could swarm him.  But can you imagine, being a 6' 197 lb guy or even a 6' 223 guy like Milano, and having to tackle Henry 20, 23, 27 times a game?

As long as the NFL still has backs like Henry and Taylor, I think we still have a need for a thumper

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Beanes had 5 drafts and has taken 0 WRs in the top 3 rounds since he’s been here…. And only one in the 4th

So if we had taken Khalil Shakir in the 3rd round you would have been cool with that? What if we had taken Gabe Davis in the 3rd too? And does Diggs not count for some reason?

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I think they were going CB the whole way… no way of knowing for sure, but sure seemed like CB was their target based on Beanes presser…. I think the new embedded may shed some light on that. 

Could be right.  With the information we have, we can assume the bills only had 3 or 4 corners with first round grade.   only gave 4 corners a first round grade and had confidence that one would be there closeto 25 within trade up distance, maybe corner was their only target.  What if, 3 of the top corners with 1st round grades were taken in the top 12-15?  Would they have traded up to 13-17 for him?  I don’t think so, but maybe.  What would they have done then?  Imo it would’ve been a WR (if they had a 1st rd grade) or trade down.  If they couldn’t find a trade down partner, probably Breece Hall.  

All we know is that they liked Elam….and I understand why they do.  None of the other corners have his blend of size and speed.  It was a very specialized draft for the Bills.

like @BADOLBILZsaid, this was a draft for this year.  Not a building block draft.  Players with the ability to do certain things, hopefully this year.

Elam to take over cb2 and cover the bigger WRs.  Locker room beast. 

Cook to be the cover 2 shell beater we lacked for much of last season.  A Rb that the opposing defense has to plan against.  High in the corner smoking fatties.  

Bernard, to cover and blitz.  If he gets ran on, they won’t care.  As long as he does his job in coverage and as a pass rusher.  Milanos insurance.  Hopefully will allow us to cut Matakavich and sign a better guard and cb5 for depth.  Locker room beast 

shakir- to be our primary return man and a rac guy. Locker room beast   

Punt god-  to please the fans and hopefully become the best punter ever.  Saying punt god is fun.  

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Are we supposed to take Beane at his word now? His end season presser talked about protecting the franchise QB… he then proceeded to use most of the cap he had available to revamp the defensive line and 2 of his top 3 picks on defense.😅

But yea I knew WR in the first was never an option… Beanes has had 5 drafts and has taken 0 WRs in the top 3 rounds since he’s been here…. And only one in the 4th…. It’s a little perplexing for a team that is built on its passing game, but like I said back in January, they are going CB with the first pick. 

Meanwhile Beane spent a 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th on Diggs.  

He’s spent a first round pick on a WR in 20% of his drafts. I’d say that’s about on par with the league average 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

Maybe blindly, but I trust Beane.  I agree with your recap except for the concerns about the run on receivers.  My opinion is, if Beane thought any of them were worth getting, he would have made the move to get them.  

The only thing that surprised me was the lack of TE and MLB drafting.  I only say this because they met with a ton of them before the draft.  

The Edmunds plan remains and enigma to me.  

I think the plan at TE is the Texas A&M UDFA guy with the 1 RAC score.  If he actually plays well, he will be here next year.  If not, we have OJ and Knox for now, and can draft OJ replacement and likely resign Knox.  

The Edmunds plan confuses me. 

The lack of IOL is concerning.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I give all respect to Micah Hyde.  There he stood, open field, last man between Derrick Henry and a long gain ending in a TD.  He squared him up, got set, and executed a textbook tackle which Henry promptly ran over.  Hyde hung on for grim life and slowed Henry to the point where other defenders could swarm him.  But can you imagine, being a 6' 197 lb guy or even a 6' 223 guy like Milano, and having to tackle Henry 20, 23, 27 times a game?

As long as the NFL still has backs like Henry and Taylor, I think we still have a need for a thumper

Ideally the DT gets him.  Edmunds gets lost so much that I could see the OP’s position being a backup plan or the plan until Edmunds is replaced.  He’s just not a difference maker and between him and Knox next year, I’m keeping Knox. 

2 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

Hear me out:  he is an effective blitzer, diagnosed plays well at Baylor and so tough and hard-nosed grinder.  

I like him vs KC and in the playoffs against the really tough QBs we will be facing.  

This occurred to me as well..........because I know that Mahomes scrambling was what killed the Bills defense in the divisional loss........not the play of the secondary.

They simply didn't have a guy at the second level that could prevent Mahomes from extending drives with his feet.

There isn't a CB in the league that can cover a good receiver for 6 seconds.

Whether Bernard can cover well enough to replace a DB and not put them in an unfavorable matchup is highly questionable though..............as is whether he would be a better option for such a role than Siran Neal.

Ultimately, it was just much too early to go that gadgety for my liking though.

3 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

Joe Marino's thought is that we plan on running more 3 LB sets this year and they see Bernard as their Shaq Thompson big nickel type in that scheme.

9 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Beane did not go into the draft looking for special team players. No way was that his mindset. 

I don't think Beane selects draft picks based on fan approval. That's a recipe for disaster especially if he listened to me. He drafted a punter because that position needed to be improved. I know your post is sarcasm. 

I've posted on the fallacy of Haack as the worst punter in the NFL..and that Punter was a strong need for this team.

With this Offense (and Defense) the Punter, great or actually awful, not move the needle on the season outcome even a tiny bit.  It's something posters here have convinced themselves of and it's in part because of the online hype of this rookie.   For the cost of a 6th rounder, it's easy for me to conceive of Beane saying , hey, why not?  The kid is already a local phenomenon.

Pretty simple.

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Could be right.  With the information we have, we can assume the bills only had 3 or 4 corners with first round grade.   only gave 4 corners a first round grade and had confidence that one would be there closeto 25 within trade up distance, maybe corner was their only target.  What if, 3 of the top corners with 1st round grades were taken in the top 12-15?  Would they have traded up to 13-17 for him?  I don’t think so, but maybe.  What would they have done then?  Imo it would’ve been a WR (if they had a 1st rd grade) or trade down.  If they couldn’t find a trade down partner, probably Breece Hall.  

All we know is that they liked Elam….and I understand why they do.  None of the other corners have his blend of size and speed.  It was a very specialized draft for the Bills.

like @BADOLBILZsaid, this was a draft for this year.  Not a building block draft.  Players with the ability to do certain things, hopefully this year.

Cook to be the cover 2 shell beater we lacked for much of last season.  A Rb that the opposing defense has to plan against.  High in the corner smoking fatties.  

Bernard, to cover and blitz.  If he gets ran on, they won’t care.  As long as he does his job in coverage and as a pass rusher.  Milanos insurance.  Hopefully will allow us to cut Matakavich and sign a better guard and cb5 for depth.  Locker room beast 

Punt god-  to please the fans and hopefully become the best punter ever.  Saying punt god is fun.  

Meanwhile Beane spent a 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th on Diggs.  

He’s spent a first round pick on a WR in 20% of his drafts. I’d say that’s about on par with the league average 

I get what you are saying. However, if the Bills are depending on unproven rookies to take them over the top I'd be really surprised. Draft choices especially early ones can and should contribute immediately. The Bills only had one early draft choice. I expect Elam to have the biggest impact. Followed by Cook and Ariza. However, Beane would never not draft for the future. I think the theme of the post is inaccurate. 

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This occurred to me as well..........because I know that Mahomes scrambling was what killed the Bills defense in the divisional loss........not the play of the secondary.

They simply didn't have a guy at the second level that could prevent Mahomes from extending drives with his feet.

There isn't a CB in the league that can cover a good receiver for 6 seconds.

Whether Bernard can cover well enough to replace a DB and not put them in an unfavorable matchup is highly questionable though..............as is whether he would be a better option for such a role than Siran Neal.

Ultimately, it was just much too early to go that gadgety for my liking though.

I don't think this is the case. To expect Bernard to step up and stop or limit Mahomes is not going to happen. Elite defenders cannot stop him. Think about it. Would you be comfortable saying Bernard can stop or limit Allen if he were drafted by KC? Bernard has serve limitations with his lack of height, size, and strength. He played in a weak Big 12 conference that plays little to no defense. Imho, Bernard will have little this year while adjusting to the NFL game. I suppose it's possibly he can develop into a Milano type. However, his body type is a rarity to succeed in the NFL. Time will tell. To think he's a Mahomes stopper is unrealistic. 

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

First, I think your analysis of the first round is correct.  I speculated about what Beane learned from doing mock drafts.   He must have mocked drafts where his preferred corners were taken early.   He said that he never talked to teams about trading up above 20, because it was too expensive.  Good bet is that he got to 20 and still had two corners on the board, a situation he had mocked.  When the Chiefs took one, Beane was prepared to move.  I agree with you; if all the corners were gone, he would have gone in a different directions.  But he also said that getting the corner in the first round set up the rest of the draft, because he didn't have to chase any other positions.  Hall or a receiver would have been nice, but then he would have been trading the fourth to higher in the second to take his second choice at corner.  Beane said getting the first-round corner was key.  

Second, you characterize the next five guys correctly, I think.   They'll all see playing time, in varying degrees.  Hard to know yet how successful they will be.   Cook could be a star in this offense, or maybe just an occasional irritant to opponents.  Bernard could be a revelation or a spot player.  Shakir will be only a marginal receiver, I think, but if he can make the squad as the return man, he'll have opportunities to show what he can do in the passing game.  

41 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't think this is the case. To expect Bernard to step up and stop or limit Mahomes is not going to happen. Elite defenders cannot stop him. Think about it. Would you be comfortable saying Bernard can stop or limit Allen if he were drafted by KC? Bernard has serve limitations with his lack of height, size, and strength. He played in a weak Big 12 conference that plays little to no defense. Imho, Bernard will have little this year while adjusting to the NFL game. I suppose it's possibly he can develop into a Milano type. However, his body type is a rarity to succeed in the NFL. Time will tell. To think he's a Mahomes stopper is unrealistic. 

Like I sad at the bottom of the post.........I'm not saying I believe in that plan..........but it's possible that they think that way and want to be able to play a 4-3 front against some mobile QB's.   He'd have to be pretty damn sticky in coverage to justify taking a CB like Taron Johnson off the field.

As Joe Marino said in his draft recap..........they may view Bernard as that big nickel they've often been rumored to desire..........like Shaq Thompson,  who they drafted in round 1 for that role in Carolina despite having Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis.

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting interview with Beane on Howard and Jeremy.. Sounded like we are still very much in the outside WR market.  

I think our top five are locked down, but only two of them are pure outside receivers.  The other three are more suited for the slot role.  Not sure what we'd do with Kumerow if we brought another guy in.  Stevenson & Hodgins could probably be stashed on the Practice Squad.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.