My draft recap and random thoughts.

NewEra

It is evident that visions of Hardman and Hill streaking past our entire defense have stained the inside of McBs eyes. We lacked speed on D and they wanted to address that.  They did. Another thing that stood out to me this offseason was their pursuit of versatility.  The players they signed and drafted will allow us to play more multiple sets and switch up schemes of both sides of the ball.  I expect us to play more man this season on D.  Not a lot of man, but enough man to confuse the QB by giving different looks, more often.  

Elam, along with his speed, give us some size that we needed on the boundary.  Having another potential top 20 corner opposite Tre will allow us to do some different things with our safeties and our coverages.  Be more aggressive overall because we won’t be afraid of Levi getting beat deep.  

Cook-  gives us a playmaking chess piece that we were missing. More versatility, speed, route running, hands.  He’s a threat in the backfield (or in the slot, in motion, out wide) that opposing defenses will have to account for.  He can take it to the house. Some saw him as a 3rd value….which is basically where we drafted him.  He wasn’t going to be there in rd 3 for us, so we got him where we had to get him.  Seems like he may have been our guy from the get go.  

bernard-  the worst pick ever…. Just kidding.  Liking this pick more and more.   He can be a milano clone imo.  Great in coverage and is a very effective blitzer.  At worst, we have a ST leader and a great backup for our injury plagued LB Milano.  Best case scenario, we move Milano to the middle and he takes his spot on the weak side.  He might be able to play next to 49 and 58 on run downs replacing Taron at times.  Great locker room and leadership guy.  I thought there were better options @ LB (Chenal and Smith), but those guys don’t excel in coverage the way that Bernard does.  

Shakir-  best value pick of the draft for us imo. I had him as a late 2nd-mid 3rd WR.  I feel that his lack of ideal physical traits pushed him down the board.  Very good RAC ability from my experience watching him.  Ideally a slot, but he can play outside as long as he can continue to add to his release package.   Not a burner, but has 4.42 speed.  Nuanced wr that knows leverage and gets separations.  Tough and another great locker room presence.  Great addition to the WR imo.  Love this pick.  

Araiza-  punt god.  What’s not like about knowing that we won’t have to see Matt Haaaack play for the bills ever again.  Great value.

Benford- Tenuta- Spector-  I won’t pretend to know anything about these guys other than what I’ve seen in the last few hours.  

Pros-  

-added 2 nice playmakers with speed and that add versatility. One @ WR and one @ RB.   I was hoping we would do exactly that.  

-We added a potentially great cb2 with cb1 upside.  When Tre starts to slow down, Elam will be extended and take the reigns if he loves up to expectations.  

-versatility and speed on D.  More man and more confusion for opposing QBs.  

-versatility and speed on O.  We needed Rac and added 2 nice rac players.  

Cons- 

- I didn’t like the trade up for Elam because I thought the sweet spot in the draft to trade up was in rd 2.  I was hoping we would trade up and over the chiefs to draft Skyy Moore (or Pierce/Pickens).  Watching that run on WRs was painful for me.  Saw it coming and felt helpless as it occurred.  Was then hoping tolbert dropped to us.  As he slid, I was hoping to trade up for him.  We didn’t and Dallas snagged him. We then reached on Bernard (imo). Strange turn of events to say the least.  

-we didn’t draft IOL….but drafted two off ball LBers.  Maybe we plan on moving the shorter armed (for his size) Tenuta to guard?  I think we’re fine @ tackle depth after the quessenberry addition.  Maybe one of Ford, mancz or Ike (if/when he’s healthy) can be dependable backups under Kromer.  

-random thoughts:

- I think that success of OL will determine our fate in 2022.   I feel that if they can stay healthy, the OL is good enough to win the SB.  We wont win because of our OL, we just need to not lose because of the OL.  If the IOL gets banged up, it could be a HUGE problem and could cost us our Lombardi.  Praying that Kromer can be the difference maker.  The talent that we added to the OL this offseason doesn’t move the needle imo.  It’s basically the same OL.  Saffold will he’ll the run blocking, while possibly hurting the pass O.  Can Kromer hide his deficiency’s in pass pro?  Sure hope so.  

- the team has clearly taken on a growth mindset.  They are looking to evolve and become less and less predictable. That’s a necessity in todays nfl.  Confusion reigns supreme.  Opposing OCs and DCs will have more to game-plan for.  11 and 12 personnel on O.  James Cook is a different kind of back that will put the defenses on their heels.  Shakir, crowder, Howard and Duke may not be the superstar playmaker I was hoping for, but I think our playmakers are in a much better spot than last year.  And they came super cheap.  On D , now with the speed of the press man force Elam in the fold, we can play more and more man comfortably.  Possibly confusing the Qb.  

We’re the Super Bowl favorites for a reason.  We have the best QB.  We have the best team.  Now it’s time for the coaches to join them on the top of the mountain.  Step it up McD.  It’s on you now. 

• Like (+1) 26
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 7

The ending of the Chiefs game really only explains the Elam pick, though.  The rest of the picks seem designed to improve special teams - literally all of them will play important roles on Teams in 2022.  If the Bills can get younger, cheaper AND better on Teams it will win them an extra game or two next season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It is evident that visions of Hardman and Hill streaking past our entire defense have stained the inside of McBs eyes. We lacked speed on D and they wanted to address that.  They did. Another thing that stood out to me this offseason was their pursuit of versatility.  The players they signed and drafted will allow us to play more multiple sets and switch up schemes of both sides of the ball.  I expect us to play more man this season on D.  Not a lot of man, but enough man to confuse the QB by giving different looks, more often.  

Elam, along with his speed, give us some size that we needed on the boundary.  Having another potential top 20 corner opposite Tre will allow us to do some different things with our safeties and our coverages.  Be more aggressive overall because we won’t be afraid of Levi getting beat deep.  

Cook-  gives us a playmaking chess piece that we were missing. More versatility, speed, route running, hands.  He’s a threat in the backfield (or in the slot, in motion, out wide) that opposing defenses will have to account for.  He can take it to the house. Some saw him as a 3rd value….which is basically where we drafted him.  He wasn’t going to be there in rd 3 for us, so we got him where we had to get him.  Seems like he may have been our guy from the get go.  

bernard-  the worst pick ever…. Just kidding.  Liking this pick more and more.   He can be a milano clone imo.  Great in coverage and is a very effective blitzer.  At worst, we have a ST leader and a great backup for our injury plagued LB Milano.  Best case scenario, we move Milano to the middle and he takes his spot on the weak side.  He might be able to play next to 49 and 58 on run downs replacing Taron at times.  Great locker room and leadership guy.  I thought there were better options @ LB (Chenal and Smith), but those guys don’t excel in coverage the way that Bernard does.  

Shakir-  best value pick of the draft for us imo. I had him as a late 2nd-mid 3rd WR.  I feel that his lack of ideal physical traits pushed him down the board.  Very good RAC ability from my experience watching him.  Ideally a slot, but he can play outside as long as he can continue to add to his release package.   Not a burner, but has 4.42 speed.  Nuanced wr that knows leverage and gets separations.  Tough and another great locker room presence.  Great addition to the WR imo.  Love this pick.  

Araiza-  punt god.  What’s not like about knowing that we won’t have to see Matt Haaaack play for the bills ever again.  Great value.

Benford- Tenuta- Spector-  I won’t pretend to know anything about these guys other than what I’ve seen in the last few hours.  

Pros-  

-added 2 nice playmakers with speed and that add versatility. One @ WR and one @ RB.   I was hoping we would do exactly that.  

-We added a potentially great cb2 with cb1 upside.  When Tre starts to slow down, Elam will be extended and take the reigns if he loves up to expectations.  

Cons- 

- I didn’t like the trade up for Elam because I thought the sweet spot in the draft to trade up was in rd 2.  I was hoping we would trade up and over the chiefs to draft Skyy Moore (or Pierce/Pickens).  Watching that run on WRs was painful for me.  Saw it coming and felt helpless as it occurred.  Was then hoping tolbert dropped to us.  As he slid, I was hoping to trade up for him.  We didn’t and Dallas snagged him. We then reached on Bernard (imo). Strange turn of events to say the least.  

-we didn’t draft IOL….but drafted two off ball LBers.  Maybe we plan on moving the shorter armed (for his size) Tenuta to guard?  I think we’re fine @ tackle depth after the quessenberry addition.  Maybe one of Ford, mancz or Ike (if/when he’s healthy) can be dependable backups under Kromer.  

-random thoughts:

- I think that success of OL will determine our fate in 2022.   I feel that if they can stay healthy, the OL is good enough to win the SB.  We wont win because of our OL, we just need to not lose because of the OL.  If the IOL gets banged up, it could be a HUGE problem and could cost us our Lombardi.  Praying that Kromer can be the difference maker.  The talent that we added to the OL this offseason doesn’t move the needle imo.  It’s basically the same OL.  Saffold will he’ll the run blocking, while possibly hurting the pass O.  Can Kromer hide his deficiency’s in pass pro?  Sure hope so.  

- the team has clearly taken on a growth mindset.  They are looking to evolve and become less and less predictable. That’s a necessity in todays nfl.  Confusion reigns supreme.  Opposing OCs and DCs will have more to game-plan for.  11 and 12 personnel on O.  James Cook is a different kind of back that will put the defenses on their heels.  Shakir, crowder, Howard and Duke may not be the superstar playmaker I was hoping for, but I think our playmakers are in a much better spot than last year.  And they came super cheap.  On D , now with the speed of the press man force Elam in the fold, we can play more and more man comfortably.  Possibly confusing the Qb.  

We’re the Super Bowl favorites for a reason.  We have the best QB.  We have the best team.  Now it’s time for the coaches to join them on the top of the mountain.  Step it up McD.  It’s on you now. 

We think a lot alike when it comes to this draft class. I feel like I just read a remix of my own recap!

Spot on with all points. But boy oh boy, I sure hope they start taking draft swings at IOL. Can’t ignore and duct tape that position room together forever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Pros-  

Cons- 

-random thoughts:

We draft a punter that's never held for a kicker, a year after not signing Bojorquez, who also had an incredibly strong leg, but was a poor holder.  The team felt the holder was so critical that we kept an 'elite' holder even though he was a poor punter. It's an interesting pick and Araiza is no lock to make the team.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

We draft a punter that's never held for a kicker, a year after not signing Bojorquez, who also had an incredibly strong leg, but was a poor holder.  The team felt the holder was so critical that we kept an 'elite' holder even though he was a poor punter. It's an interesting pick and Araiza is no lock to make the team.

It was a nod to the fans.  very popular predraft character.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Maybe blindly, but I trust Beane.  I agree with your recap except for the concerns about the run on receivers.  My opinion is, if Beane thought any of them were worth getting, he would have made the move to get them.  

The only thing that surprised me was the lack of TE and MLB drafting.  I only say this because they met with a ton of them before the draft.  

The Edmunds plan remains and enigma to me.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

We think a lot alike when it comes to this draft class. I feel like I just read a remix of my own recap!

Spot on with all points. But boy oh boy, I sure hope they start taking draft swings at IOL. Can’t ignore and duct tape that position room together forever.

Haha!! Thanks.  There’s a reason why I still haven’t read your analysis yet.  You and I are usually on the same page and I wanted to put together my own thoughts in writing before “stealing” your thoughts 😉  I’m going to take a look at yours now. 

yeah….that IOL.  Kromer.  He’s easily our best addition along the OL this offseason.  We’re really counting on him getting the most out of Bates and Brown.  Both need to, and likely will show improvement under his tutelage.  Maybe he can allow ford, mancz or Ike to be “good depth” as opposed to depth.  Healthy.  Stay healthy.  That’s the biggest key imo.  I think our starting 5 OL is good enough to not lose us a super bowl…..if healthy 

49 minutes ago, klos63 said:

We shall see.  

59 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The ending of the Chiefs game really only explains the Elam pick, though.  The rest of the picks seem designed to improve special teams - literally all of them will play important roles on Teams in 2022.  If the Bills can get younger, cheaper AND better on Teams it will win them an extra game or two next season.

It helps explain the Bernard pick too imo.    He’s could be an elite coverage Lb that can finish sacks and has speed.  

Then we draft another corner late and another coverage LB.

16 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Maybe blindly, but I trust Beane.  I agree with your recap except for the concerns about the run on receivers.  My opinion is, if Beane thought any of them were worth getting, he would have made the move to get them.  

The only thing that surprised me was the lack of TE and MLB drafting.  I only say this because they met with a ton of them before the draft.  

The Edmunds plan remains and enigma to me.  

Could be true.  We didn’t have a 4th though, so we would’ve had to trade picks next season or the rest of our picks to trade up.  He may have been gambling that one of the Pass catchers slid.  Of the 7 picks prior to 57,  Thornton, Pickens, Pierce, Moore and Mcbride went.  There’s definitely a chance that he thought one would slide to us and he wouldn’t have had to give up any picks.  A roll of the dice.  

Edmunds-  I figured they’d let him play out the season and see what happens. That looks like the plan, unless they extend him.

considering the selection of Bernard, Is Milano capable of playing inside?  That’s the real question?  If so, maybe that the plan.  Watching them llay, both Milano and Bernard are better in coverage and rushing the passer. Edmunds is better vs the run imo.  Can Milano become better vs the run and man the middle?  Idk.  Bernard seems like a nice situational coverage/blitzing Lb as a rookie.

Let’s pump the breaks on the potential top 20 CB talk.  It’s not normal for CB’s to have immediate impacts their rookie year.  I’m thinking we still pick up a solid vet CB before TC.  I’m not sure why everyone was so hell bent on drafting a premiere WR, unless you’re not a Gabe fan.  The Bills staff loves him, and he will be a part of this teams future.  

• Agree 1

I'm still in love with the Cook pick, value or not. He's going to be a difference maker for us sooner rather than later. 

I share your concerns about the OL. Never been a big fan of Morse. He's a heady player but his history of concussions is so concerning and he handicaps any chance of a solid run game. Saffold can't stay on the field either. It wasn't exactly confidence inspiring to hear Beane still touting Cody after the draft either. At least we have OL stability??

All in all, good draft. When you're a juggernaut, you draft for need and we had a need for speed. Mission accomplished.  

• Agree 3

24 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Let’s pump the breaks on the potential top 20 CB talk.  It’s not normal for CB’s to have immediate impacts their rookie year.  I’m thinking we still pick up a solid vet CB before TC.  I’m not sure why everyone was so hell bent on drafting a premiere WR, unless you’re not a Gabe fan.  The Bills staff loves him, and he will be a part of this teams future.  

Wow….you come up with some words instead of just a 🙄.  Grats. 

Kaiir Elam can’t be top TWENTY cornerback during his career?   I’m wasn’t implying he’s a top 20 cornerback in 2022…. but with time.  Sorry if I worded that incorrectly.  He’s a physical specimen that can run, play press man and play zone.  He brings the versatility (and speed) that Levi and Dane don’t have.  Our coaches can now feel more confidant playing different coverages.  I don’t think we’ll ever see a 13 seconds type sitch coached in the same manor. 

I agree, that we’ll probably sign a vet Cb in FA.  I would hope that we do.

Some people are hell bent on drafting a premier WR for a few reasons.  
-injuries happen.  Just like Tre last year.  He played vs KC during the regular season and we smoked them. Our d couldn’t stop them without him.  Now imagine our offense without Diggs. You think Gabe Davis is having that type of game without Diggs?  Pshh yeah right.  Gabe had that kind of game BECAUSE of Diggs being bracketed the majority of the game.  

-see gabe Davis vs the chiefs.  A premier WR (Diggs) allowed Davis to see single coverage with little to no help over the top all game.  Premier WRs force teams to change their defenses.  Gabe Davis does not. Why would you NOT want another premier WR?

- most importantly-  there’s this thing called the salary cap-  and the WR market has changed. The draft isn’t just for 2022.  The draft is for the next 4-5-10 years. Adding a young stud WR on a rookie deal is HUGE for team building.  Gabe has two years left on his contract.  Will we be able to afford him?  Debatable atm.  I feel that we should try and add at least one good WR every year, so when we inevitably lose good players, we can say next man up and not suffer a big difference in play.  I love the Shakir selection, but he’s never going to be a premier wR, just a guy that can kill you if he’s single covered all game. 

thanks for chiming in!   Have anything positive to say?  Didn’t think so.  Do you 🙄 guy

• Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I'm still in love with the Cook pick, value or not. He's going to be a difference maker for us sooner rather than later. 

I share your concerns about the OL. Never been a big fan of Morse. He's a heady player but his history of concussions is so concerning and he handicaps any chance of a solid run game. Saffold can't stay on the field either. It wasn't exactly confidence inspiring to hear Beane still touting Cody after the draft either. At least we have OL stability??

All in all, good draft. When you're a juggernaut, you draft for need and we had a need for speed. Mission accomplished.  

Yeah, I really love the Cook pick too.  I like the fact that he’s always moving forward and at top speed.  Not much east west to his game. Good compliment to motor, who will hopefully teach him a few evasive tricks.  

Cook has very little wasted movement. While he isn’t very elusive imo, he doesn’t have to gear down in order make his lateral moves.  If his move gets him by that defender, he’s still close to top speed, which is a big part of his home run ability.  Lightning 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

I am not spending the new punter nickel until I see he can hold for our placekicker.  He is just learning I read.

I've never quite understood why teams switched from using the backup QB as the holder?   Seems like that would give them much better options for "fake FGs", and/or if something goes horribly wrong with the snap, etc.   What is the advantage of using the punter for that task instead?   Especially if it means cutting the punter with the strongest leg because he's not an experienced FG holder?

• Like (+1) 2

With the drafting of two 220+ LB’s that can fly with good/great instincts I wonder if McBeane are looking at changing what we do.  Edmonds has the physical attributes but no feel for the game.   What if we could throw two or three Milano’s on the field at the same time?  Perhaps the days of 250 lb thumpers is over.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

With the drafting of two 220+ LB’s that can fly with good/great instincts I wonder if McBeane are looking at changing what we do.  Edmonds has the physical attributes but no feel for the game.   What if we could throw two or three Milano’s on the field at the same time?  Perhaps the days of 250 lb thumpers is over.

Yeah could be.  I was thinking about that when we drafted Bernard.  The undersized and instinctive over the long and slow processing. 

That said, Bernard may just be Milanos eventual replacement/backup.  Milanos ability to stay health has always in question.  He did a good job last year, but I don’t think he can be counted on. Our defense is much better with Milano than without…..now we have some insurance 

• Agree 1

I thoroughly enjoyed this write-up.  Most of the takes were how I felt about it, though more researched and knowledgeable.  

My evaluation of drafts is usually pretty basic:  am I looking forward to seeing these guys play?  For the 1st 5 picks, that's a strong yes.

Edited by Success
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Success said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this write-up.  Most of the takes were how I felt about it, though more researched and knowledgeable.  

My evaluation of drafts is usually pretty basic:  am I looking forward to seeing these guys play?  For the 1st 5 picks, that's a strong yes.

How You Doin Kiss GIF

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Could be true.  We didn’t have a 4th though, so we would’ve had to trade picks next season or the rest of our picks to trade up.  He may have been gambling that one of the Pass catchers slid.  Of the 7 picks prior to 57,  Thornton, Pickens, Pierce, Moore and Mcbride went.  There’s definitely a chance that he thought one would slide to us and he wouldn’t have had to give up any picks.  A roll of the dice.  

I am surmising Beane was hoping one of the wrs or McBride would slide down to him. When they didn't, he traded back twice before selecting Cook.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, klos63 said:

He really isn’t… Bills fans don’t want to hear this but it’s going to take a strong TC for Araizia to unseat Haack

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.