Draft grade review chart comprising 18 different reviewers for every team

Logic

If you like seeing “experts” grade each team’s draft class, you might enjoy this chart. I feel like letter grades right after the fact are an exercise in futility, but maybe not everyone agrees.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 10

Meh, seeing the wide variance of grades shows exactly why these are silly.  First off, no one knows who will do what on the field and none of these “graders” truly even know the ins and outs of each teams needs, system, player fits, etc.  

Just a guessing game where they can point to the few guesses that prove right as an “I told you so” and ignore the majority in which they were dead wrong about 2 years from now.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

In general, everyone thought the Jest had the best draft, almost impossible not to with all those picks.  Bills are solidly in the middle, and the Fish and Cheats at the bottom of the pile.  AFCE Champs, just don't McChoke it away again.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Meh, seeing the wide variance of grades shows exactly why these are silly.  First off, no one knows who will do what on the field and none of these “graders” truly even know the ins and outs of each teams needs, system, player fits, etc.  

Just a guessing game where they can point to the few guesses that prove right as an “I told you so” and ignore the majority in which they were dead wrong about 2 years from now.  

Agreed. And that’s possibly the most important thing. How will the players be used? How good is the coaching staff at developing, and at putting them in positions to succeed? What is the culture like in the building? How do the players fit into it? Is the culture strong enough to keep highly drafted rookies with strong personalities in check? Do the vets make sure the young guys are practicing/training right? There are just so many different variables.

I look at the draft class of the Jets, for example, and it’s clear they added talent. But how will that talent mesh to make a team? I see a # of strong personalities (like all 3 of their 1st round picks). Do they have the cu,true in place to properly develop these guys? I’m not so sure.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Patriots fans everywhere after the 1st round Cole Strange pick...

It will forever be known as the "Strange" pick in the future.

As far as the Bills are concerned, it's tough to try and earn top notch grades when you're drafting near the bottom of the order.  Conversely, if you're the Jets and you've got three first round picks, you'd better have a superlative draft, or you deserve to get fired.  I think Buffalo's grades are understandable and fair, and reflect the circumstances that bond the Bills at this point in time.   In any case, it's better to be in Buffalo's position than the Jets'.

Okay, so here's something that I've never seen discussed before.   When people are giving draft grades to teams, are they grading how much talent they came away with or how well they did given the draft capital they had?   

Assuming these grades are grades of how much talent teams came away with, then the relevant stat would be a ratio of how well they did versus how much draft capital they had.   If the Bills were 13th in talent acquired, that's pretty good, given that they were essentially 25th in draft capital, or in any case not higher than 20th.  

My sense is that Beane was pretty nimble and did a good job getting a good collection of talent out of what he had to work with in picks.  Obviously, would have been better if he'd stayed at 25 and still gotten Elam, but if he'd stayed at 25 and NOT gotten him, his draft would have been much worse.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Was listening to Bill Polian yesterday on the radio. He was kind of ripping all these mock drafters which is still a large step up from most posters here.  He talked about how these people don't have half the information NFL teams have such as; medical, psychological, and background check

So his take was for them (and posters) to praise or rip a pick is useless as they likely have little idea what went into the selection.

Interesting the Bar Stool Sports and NBC Sports Edge are the guys you hated as teachers when you were in school as they were the hard graders.  For the most part they were the only ones giving out D's and F's.  Coincidentally, the ones who gave out F's were the only ones who gave the Bills C's!

• Agree 1

I know it’s sacrilege to be negative of the Bills draft. But this seemed to be a lazy effort from them. The Chiefs and Ravens beat them to the punch every round. Don’t think the Bills added a starter besides maybe the punter. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Floydboy12 said:

I know it’s sacrilege to be negative of the Bills draft. But this seemed to be a lazy effort from them. The Chiefs and Ravens beat them to the punch every round. Don’t think the Bills added a starter besides maybe the punter. 

Maybe.  Maybe the only player we thought was better then the others was Elam.  Meaning like close grades on WRs 7 thru 20.  

I'm only a bit mad about Hall.  But if Wilson stinks, and they aren't better, he's in the worst possible place with an oline that if Becton is done...is not good.  

I think outside of Sauce, the Jets screwed up - I know a lot are high on Johnson.  I don't see it.  

Wilson is going to need a year.  They really needed a Diggs type trade.  

As for us, I think we probably thought Shakir wasn't much a drop from Moore.  And I can see that for sure.  

Pickens character issues probably a concern.  

I'm not that high on Watson either but its a good fit for GB.  Who didn't think any WR Rodgers really needs was worth it in RD 1 and they like their speed guys (like MVS).  

Hall is the one - but he's at a position where the RB is only a problem if your QB is good.  It's not 1992.  Hall's perfect fit was us.  

50 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Was listening to Bill Polian yesterday on the radio. He was kind of ripping all these mock drafters which is still a large step up from most posters here.  He talked about how these people don't have half the information NFL teams have such as; medical, psychological, and background check

So his take was for them (and posters) to praise or rip a pick is useless as they likely have little idea what went into the selection.

It is true that they don't have all the information, however, if there is a general consensus that a pick is a huge reach, it usually turns out the draft graders are correct.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.