AFCE off season - better or worse?

BuffaloBill

AFCE Teams other than the Bills - who is better or worse given coaching changes, free agency and draft   

160 members have voted

1. 1. Have the New England Patriots* gotten better or worse?

2. 2. Have the New York Jets gotten better or worse?

3. 3. Have the Miami Dolphins gotten better or worse?

I think the Jets did well in addressing their needs, gotta give them credit for having such a strong draft. I think the thing with the Dolphins is while they may have upgraded their WR core, losing Flores may hurt that defense more than they realize. Them having an injury prone QB may actually be beneficial later. Bridgewater isn't a world beater but I think he's better than Tua, especially experience wise. One thing's for sure tho, our run defense better have their A game against all 3 of those teams. Pats can still run the ball very well, and I think the Dolphins and Jets are trying to copy that specifically for us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

I think the Jets did well in addressing their needs, gotta give them credit for having such a strong draft. I think the thing with the Dolphins is while they may have upgraded their WR core, losing Flores may hurt that defense more than they realize. Them having an injury prone QB may actually be beneficial later. Bridgewater isn't a world beater but I think he's better than Tua, especially experience wise. One thing's for sure tho, our run defense better have their A game against all 3 of those teams. Pats can still run the ball very well, and I think the Dolphins and Jets are trying to copy that specifically for us.

Ideally, the key will be that all three of those teams will be playing from behind.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Tua doesn’t need to throw deep though, just hit Waddle and Hill on quick strikes and let them bust plays.  Dolphins have a lot of speed on offense now at WR, RB, and even TE

Waddle average was 9.8 yards, that’s not a lot, it was the worst number in the top 50 receivers. Played in 16 games had 1015 yards caught 104. Hill will take off some pressure, but when teams know that the QB can’t throw it down field fast guys are easier to defend.

• Like (+1) 4

On 5/1/2022 at 12:18 PM, buffalo2218 said:

It will be telling to see if the Bills get better both running the ball and defending the run.  If they do, it will be a very fun season.  If not, it could become a very heartbreaking season again.  Josh Allen obviously plays huge but the Bills over rely on him.  If the run game (and stopping the run) can take some of this pressure off of JA there is no doubt that the Lombardi may finally make it to Buffalo.  The teams we had the most difficulty against last year generally ran over us (literally and figuratively).

I think everyone sleeps on Miami based off Flores tenure and how bad tua has looked. 
I think people are forgetting they NEVER could run the ball under Flores. This new guy is gonna run the ball. And it will probably be effective. Giving Tua a run game and teams actually biting on play action might be a bigger deal than we think. I don’t think anyone needs to overly fear them or nothing crazy but they shouldn’t just be dismissed either as the same ole dolphins 

• Like (+1) 1

On paper the Dolphins got better yet I have reservations about the "genius" HC. As to me he rode Shanahan's curtails and only has one season as a OC experience. I know Hill gets a lot of play but to me the Dolphins were weak at RB, have they i.proved there? I can't say they have. 

New England without McDaniels at OC looks like a disaster. Parker helps their weak WR group but not significantly. The might middle out this year 

Jets, we see every year it seems that Jets make splashes and ready to turn the corner. Yet they failed to address their Oline or bring in a veteran WR to help Wilson. They might reach 6 wins this season which I guess is improvement.

Pats have the best coach but the worst team. 

Jets have the best QB but the worst coach.

Dolphins have the worst QB but the best team. 

If including our team the Bills have the best Team, QB, and coach. 

Edited by Awwufelloff
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2022 at 11:04 AM, goldenboy81 said:

As long as there is 3 noodle arm quarterbacks in our division, I don't see any of them as a threat.

I believe you mean "raaag aaaaaahhhhm."

😛

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm always surprised checking the Pats boards. They still think Mac Jones has potential to be elite.

I mean, I don't want to hot take that he can't be after 1 season, but it would definitely shock me.

All 3 teams in the division have very solid rosters at this point. I think who emerges as our main competition depends entirely on which of the QB's really pans out.  If I had to put a bet on it, it would be Wilson. He had games last season where he looked like a disaster, but he has the most skills and with proper coaching could be excellent (imo).

Not seeing it w/ Tua or Jones, but who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2022 at 12:09 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Tua doesn’t need to throw deep though, just hit Waddle and Hill on quick strikes and let them bust plays.  Dolphins have a lot of speed on offense now at WR, RB, and even TE

When Tua proves himself I’ll change my opinion of him.  Until then it’s still all hype and Imo he’s the weak link.  

I’d bet Teddy play sometime during the season and w/o an injury to Tua. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

When Tua proves himself I’ll change my opinion of him.  Until then it’s still all hype and Imo he’s the weak link.  

I’d bet Teddy play sometime during the season and w/o an injury to Tua. 

I’m on the same page, not sold on Tua yet.  Just saying with Hill and Waddle being so dangerous with ball in their hands, who ever is playing QB just needs to get the ball to then even on short routes for them to be dangerous

• Like (+1) 1

The Jets and Dolphins have had good offseasons IMO. If I have a remaining question on the Jets it is oline if they can't get Becton back to what he was as a rookie. I know Zach was a bit all over the place at times last year but in some ways his rookie year reminded me of Josh's because there were some special flashes among lots of naivety, mistakes and struggles. I am not saying he is going to be Josh Allen just before anyone jumps on that, but I think his highs in 2021 were higher than any other QB from his class personally. If the Jets can keep him upright and with upgraded pass catching options the Jets could be around a .500 football team and one that is still ascending at that. 

The Dolphins now have a terrific offensive arsenal and they have finally solved the left tackle question so long as Terron Armstead can stay healthy. The issue I see with them is defensive line, I am not sure about their pass rush, and obviously Tua. I do think the offensive scheme that they are bringing in is a fit. I said last offseason when they fired Chan Gailey they should go to a Shanahan offense and one presumes they now will. 

At the other end of the scale I think New England are one of the worst teams in football on paper. The last two years since Brady left the two units that have kept that team affloat are offensive line and defensive backfield. So they have traded away their best OL and let their best DB walk in FA. If there is a masterplan I don't see it. I said they wouldn't be as bad as people were predicting in 2020 and they weren't. I said they'd make the playoffs in 2021 and they did. I am going to call it now... the Patriots will earn a top 5 pick in the 2023 NFL Draft. 

What does that mean for the Bills? We went 6-0 in division in 2020, 5-1 in division last year. I think 5-1 feels about right again with either Miami or the Jets upsetting us somewhere. We will bash the Patriots twice. No problem about that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I will say this about the Jets. Sauce may regret getting drafted in this division. Nickname may end up being burnt sauce after playing the Bills and possibly the Dolphins. He may have made a mistake throwing Diggs' name out there, somewhat similar to what Tua said about the NFL not being as hard as he thought

On 5/1/2022 at 11:04 AM, goldenboy81 said:

As long as there is 3 noodle arm quarterbacks in our division, I don't see any of them as a threat.

On 5/1/2022 at 11:08 AM, SCBills said:

Wilson doesn’t have a noodle arm.  I’m not saying he’s very good, rookie year was rough, but he can sling it. 

I would take "noodle arm" with good "other desirable QB traits" over "non-noodle arm" with mediocre/poor "other desirable QB traits".  The question for the AFCE QBs not named Allen is, do they get better in their second and third seasons, and if they do, how big are their step ups?  

I expect that Mac Jones will improve because he reminds me of Tom Brady in 2001/2002.  We tend to forget that Brady wasn't always the Tom Brady of 2007.  Early in his career, he was considered a "system QB" with modest talent by many, especially football message board gurus who were fans of other AFCE teams.

I think that Zach Wilson has to improve significantly as a sophomore or the Jests will be QB hunting again in 2023. 

I don't think that Tua changes much.  He was a dink and dunker in college, and he's still a dink and dunker in the pros.   I don't know if he can really get the most out of Hill and Waddle with his style but it might be enough for the Fins to make a WC spot.   There's also a new coaching staff in Miami which might or might not be an improvement over the previous regime, which did get a lot out of the talent it had.

I voted for the Pats being a push and the Jests and Fins being improved.

Edited by SoTier

On 5/1/2022 at 4:04 PM, goldenboy81 said:

Wilson is not a noodle arm. The other two are, but Wilson has a good arm. It isn't Allen or Mahomes, but his arm is comparable with Justin Herbert for example and he has a stronger arm than Joe Burrow. If you are looking for reasons not to worry about Wilson they do exist. But it isn't a lack of arm. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think the Jets and Phins got better.  I'd be shocked if not.  How much remains to be seen.  NE...is...well...kinda right where they were.  How they do comes down to how much the hoodie squeezes out of them again, like blood from a stone and he's still the best at that.

• Like (+1) 1

I went push for the Pats, I don’t see a major change in talent, but I also don’t think they will be anything special at all.  I don’t see Mac taking a big step forward, which is the real issue for them.

Dolphins added a lot, still hinges on Tua, it’s do it die for him this year.

Jets added A LOT of talent, if Wilson can be respectable this year, they will sneak out a few more wins than people think.  I see a 6-8 win season for them, IF Wilson puts it together, they are not going to be a fun team to play, especially late in the year when the Rookies hit stride.

The Bills honestly are just a little better, the OL didn’t get addressed in a meaningful way, sorry not buying it.  The only REAL addition is Saffold and he’s a major injury concern.

The WR core got torn apart, time will tell on that, it hinges on Davis breaking out.  I think he can/will, but he has to do it or the O will slow down.  

I know people are all excited about Cook, but he’s going to struggle to get on the field, he couldn’t block me coming as a blitzer and that’s a big deal.  If I had to bet, at least early on, he is going to see more time out wide than actually running the ball, cool, but doesn’t address RB still. 

The D is relying on Groot to step up big and an aging Miller to get some pressure, I expect them to be better.  We shall see, especially early when we are running a very inexperienced secondary out there.  Once Tre gets back and hopefully Elam claims his spot, it should be better than last year.  I expect the first 6 weeks or so to be a little rough. 

The best thing, Josh Allen is still in the house and looks stronger than ever, he will make up for a lot of the questions.  I don’t really expect the Bills record to improve much, if at all, this season.  The division got harder and there are plenty of challenges on the schedule. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.