AFCE off season - better or worse?

BuffaloBill

AFCE Teams other than the Bills - who is better or worse given coaching changes, free agency and draft   

160 members have voted

1. 1. Have the New England Patriots* gotten better or worse?

2. 2. Have the New York Jets gotten better or worse?

3. 3. Have the Miami Dolphins gotten better or worse?

The poll function only allows for three questions. So, in your comments please also discuss for the AFCE teams that you believe are better, have they gained ground on the Bills? Do any of them pose a real threat to take the AFCE in 2022?

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The poll function only allows for three questions. So, in your comments please also discuss for the AFCE teams that you believe are better, have they gained ground on the Bills? Do any of them pose a real threat to take the AFCE in 2022?

it’s too early to tell 🦬 B. 

If I voted, I’d  have to vote Push on all 3.  
The homer in me say WORSE. 

But that’s not what you want 

Who did they get that will actually make their QB better,

or allow them to overcome the 2 TD plus margin of Victory in their defeats?

The 40 + winds and 3 pass game for Mac was an anomaly.

To that point. Have the Bills improved their run defense?

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1

I am not gonna lie - the Dolphins worry me a bit on offense.  Tua is coming into is 3rd year, and they have a ton of speed on offense.  On defense, I still don't think they can stop us.  I will also say, I am not worried much though...we beat the Chiefs who were still better than the current Dolphins.

The Jets got much better, but that is not saying much...they were super bad.  Wilson looked downright awful last year.  They went from way below to average to below average if that makes sense.

There is a good chance the Patriots will be the last team in the division next year.  The tape is out on Mac Jones...I think he takes a big step back this year.

This a good question. After couple of votes it is clear that people think what I think - Dolphins and Jets got better, while Patriots got worse.

So that begs a question. Is there a realistic chance that Patriots will end up last in the division?

I'd say its fairly possible, but it depends on Zach Wilson a lot.

Jets got better simply by experience for their rookies last year, especially Wilson, and strong draft.  But that’s on paper.

Pats got worse based on who they lost and didn’t do much to counter the losses.

Mia got better adding elite weapon and Tua entering his third year should help and Waddle has a season under his belt too.  But harder to tell if it will translate to the field because coaching is unknown after letting go of a good staff who got the most out the roster.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, atomicpwrd said:

Tua is coming into is 3rd year,

just end it there. 
No need to continue 

QB, QB, QB

Speedy WR for guys who don’t have a rocket arm .. He’d outrun every deep pass.  IF there is a deep pass. 

Will it be Tua or Teddy? 
The HC hasn’t proved he committed to Tua.

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

2 minutes ago, goldenboy81 said:

As long as there is 3 noodle arm quarterbacks in our division, I don't see any of them as a threat.

Wilson doesn’t have a noodle arm.  I’m not saying he’s very good, rookie year was rough, but he can sling it. 

• Agree 1

Jets and Dolphins got better but until they change the guy under center, who cares? Pats got worse and I don't know what their plan is. Belichick makes his team worse and everyone thinks he's a genius he probably has an amazing plan and this is all part of it. Or maybe he doesn't have a QB and he doesn't know what to do like every other NFL team lol

11 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

This a good question. After couple of votes it is clear that people think what I think - Dolphins and Jets got better, while Patriots got worse.

So that begs a question. Is there a realistic chance that Patriots will end up last in the division?

I'd say its fairly possible, but it depends on Zach Wilson a lot.

The Dolphins are a QB away from being able to challenge Buffalo IMO.  I’m not saying they’d be better than us with one, but they’d be very competitive as their roster is otherwise very, very good.  The wildcard is their new coaching staff.  That could be a bump in either direction. 

The Jest got a lot better, but they were trash.  They don’t have a QB and their ownership sucks.  Saleh is a good coach though.  They’ll be better, but that means they will have a chance to not finish last in the AFCE.

NE’s ceiling is an asskicking in the first round of the playoffs like last year.  Their floor is last place in the AFCE.  I expect them to be .500ish.  It’ll be interesting to see if they continue to decline without the lure of Brady.  

• Like (+1) 1

Jets better, Pats worse, Dolphins push.

The Fins get a lot of hype but they will have a 1st year coaching staff with new schemes to implement. Their defense was pretty solid towards the end of last year. Who's to say that the improved personnel on offense won't be offset by a regression on the other side of the ball? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

If Tua and Wilson make any kind of jump, I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see NE finish last in the AFCE. 

Unless NE builds Mac a dome and Kraft can pay schedule makers to schedule all Northeastern away games in the early Fall, he’s going to struggle.  

Mac might get somewhat better, but high floor, low ceiling and once it got cold, he turned into a pumpkin.   Doesn’t help that NE easily has the least amount of top end talent of anyone in the Division. 

20 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

just end it there. 
No need to continue 

QB, QB, QB

Speedy WR for guys who don’t have a rocket arm .. He’d outrun every deep pass.  IF there is a deep pass. 

Will it be Tua or Teddy? 

LMAO!  You don't need a rocket arm to take advantage of speed.  Hill and Waddle can take a dump off to the house.  That said, I really agree...if we play a shell coverage, it takes those dump-offs away.  I also feel like our D will be much improved this year.

It's never a good idea to hang one's hat on draft picks going into the season. But, it's hard not to think that the Jets have improved their team enormously over the last few days. They've done a great job this offseason, IMO.

The Dolphins did it in FA, and sacrificed their draft in the process. Good for them, I suppose. We'll see if the King's ransom they paid for Hill proves to be worth it. I suspect not. Hill may be the best WR in the league, but with such a lower caliber QB throwing him the ball behind such a crappy O-line, one has to believe his production will fall off, and with it his attitude.

It's been a pleasure to watch the Patriots* lose so many key pieces (CB Jackson, G Mason, C Karras, among several others), barely make a move in FA, and then screw up their draft so badly. It's all on paper, of course, but the Pats* might be in trouble. And it's not just a matter of personnel-- they lost their O-line coach, and their long-time OC Josh McDaniels, as well. It's hard to imagine how the cheating, aging GOAT Belichick* might pull this team up. 

41 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The Dolphins are a QB away from being able to challenge Buffalo IMO.  I’m not saying they’d be better than us with one, but they’d be very competitive as their roster is otherwise very, very good.  The wildcard is their new coaching staff.  That could be a bump in either direction. 

The Jest got a lot better, but they were trash.  They don’t have a QB and their ownership sucks.  Saleh is a good coach though.  They’ll be better, but that means they will have a chance to not finish last in the AFCE.

NE’s ceiling is an asskicking in the first round of the playoffs like last year.  Their floor is last place in the AFCE.  I expect them to be .500ish.  It’ll be interesting to see if they continue to decline without the lure of Brady.  

I think Miami needs a full rebuild to challenge us honestly…josh torches them pretty much every time and they didnt do much on the defensive side. Now they’ve got a ton of resources tied up in a receiver too.  They might have gone from losing in a blowout to losing in a shootout but they’re still gonna lose lol

the tyreek hill trade still makes no sense to me if they’re trying to compete for the division title

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

I think it's worth mentioning the Bills in this thread.

Bills going by position (IMO):

QG: Push. At an elite level!

OL: Push. I'm not willing to call Saffold an upgrade over Williams, and the loss of Mongo means we have a need at backup C. But, Kromer is an upgrade, IMO.

RB: Slight upgrade. At the very least, the RB squad is deeper.

TE: Clear upgrade. Can't wait to see Knox, and Howard on the field at the same time.

WR: Slight upgrade. My bild prediction: Crowder will have a career-high season with Allen throwing him the ball.

DL: CLEAR upgrade.

LB: Slight downgrade. AJ Klein was legit.

DB: Slight upgrade. Cautiously optimistic that White will start the season, and Elam will start as an upgrade over Wallace. 

Overall? Bills got better.

• Like (+1) 2

I think the Jets have taken a huge step over where they were.  I also think Wilson has the most potential over Jones or Tua.

Pats seem to be intentionally tanking.  That draft was inexplicable. They got older & worse.

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

just end it there. 
No need to continue 

QB, QB, QB

Will it be Tua or Teddy? 

Tua doesn’t need to throw deep though, just hit Waddle and Hill on quick strikes and let them bust plays.  Dolphins have a lot of speed on offense now at WR, RB, and even TE

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Patriots have clearly gotten worse, they lost all pro G Shaq mason in a very questionable trade. All Pro CB Tretter also left to the Chargers and they haven't given Mac Jones a legit #1 WR, Devonte Parker has been a disappointment for the most part.

The Dolphins have really upgraded the roster but I just don't see Tua as a top flight QB in this league but if he proves that wrong then they should be contending with us but I don't see them winning the division, that will still be ours.

The NYJ are starting to get incredibly talented as I thought they had the best draft of any team this year and if Zack Wilson takes the next step this year then I'll go out on a limb and say the NYJ and Bills will be the 2 teams battling for that spot each year as soon as next season. They are putting together a solid WR core with Corey Davis, Denzel Mims, Garrett Wilson, Elijah Moore and Braxton Berrios plus add Uzumah at TE. The OL was upgraded with Becton, Tomlinson, McGovern and vera-Tucker. That run game should be as good as any other if the 2 backs pan out as I liked Michael Carter that they selected last season and now add in Breece Hall and that could give defenses headaches real soon. The defense needs to improve more but the additions of Jermaine Johnson and Sauce Gardner were excellent which again is why I think this team will be competing with us for sure but that's only if Wilson turns into a franchise QB which didn't appear to be the case in year 1.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.