Poll: How would you grade the Bills overall draft?

Lost

Poll: How would you grade the Bills overall draft?  

316 members have voted

1. 1. Bills draft grade

• A
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • F

1 hour ago, muppy said:

I am terrible at draft rankings. But I found This link for all 32 teams .  They liked the Bills draft very much. It's One Voice but there it is.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-draft-final-quick-snap-grades-for-all-32-teams

This was encouraging to read. I think it reflects the players drafted and not necessarily the fact the OL was not addressed and WR not addressed until the 5th round.  Reuter seems to like the 3rd round LB.  Hopefully he is a playmaker. We play so much nickel and if Milano gets hurt this kid will need to step up. And as others have said, when they play big nickel he should be better than Neal or the other backup safeties.

This was a different type of draft, Brandon Beane filled the obvious needs then took a few gambles.

Some are worried about losing some of these players off the practice squad but I highly doubt Brandon Beane loses any sleep over this.

What goes around comes around. Somebody like Wildgoose will most likely end up on the Jets PS anyway.

I was thinking about grading this draft a C+ but Beane saved the day with a powerful new punter.

So I was wondering, is Allens arm stronger then Matt Araiza's leg ???

We shall see

Edited by HOUSE

a solid "B" to a possible "A". Only time and good coaching will tell. They definitely drafted for scheme fit and to plug holes.  

1. Amir has the physical traits to be a lockdown corner, but may need some time to adjust to the mental part of learning the defense.  

2. Cook fills a need that the Bills offense was looking for with McKissic. How he takes advantage of that opportunity and how he picks up blocking will be crucial. 

3. Bernard wants to be Milano.  Let's see how that goes. He seems to have the sideline to sideline quickness and tackling ability to be a backup and role player. 

4. WE lost the opportunity for a reach in Rd 1.  Was someone really trying to trade up past us to get Elam?

5. Shaikir.  "Gabe light." Sideline contortionists were a nice valve for Josh and early on Gabe was making these kind of great catches to earn time on the field and move the chains. Shakir is a lot smaller so how Josh places the ball for him and how good his catch radius is will factor into getting on the field.

6. Airaza is everyone's favorite "punt God" and the darling of the late rounders. He fills a need. Whether he holds, out kicks his coverage and learns how to place inside the 20 will be major factors to getting an "All Pro here"
6. Benford. I don't know much about him but based on scouting reports, he is a zone corner and has the mentality for this D.

6. Tenuta is a Big ??  Alligator arms, but big. We'll see.

7. Spector seems like a development guy who's upside would be covering TE's, which is a need.

Overall, I'm pretty happy we filled the gaps and have a solid roster that will compete for a championship. I wish them all good health and a chance to make their dreams come true.

This draft I found very difficult to grade - I decided on a B-.

I love several of the Picks: Elam, Cook, Shakir are all guys I had as picks at different times.  The hard part was typically Cook in the 3rd and Shakir in the 4th (so 2nd and 5th throws me a bit).

A punter in the 6th was fine - the fact that this pick seems like everyone’s favorite is just insane, but that was right we’re I thought he would go so props to the Bills for that.

I have no issues really with the rest of the picks - nothing overwhelming either way - I think they will come in and have a role and develop from there.

With where the Bills picked and the limited needs and what they got - it was a solid draft right down the middle where it should be.  If a higher end WR or some IOL that fits the athletic profile had fallen correctly - it could have been better, but I don’t see that big miss in identification that will set the team back.

Now I will sit and wait to see if any other veterans join the team.  I could still see Williams, Hughes, and Sanders all as potential guys to come in if a need presents itself.

The roster is still not complete, but they did some good work.

1 hour ago, chongli said:

The only thing that puzzles me is why two other punters were drafted before Araiza, in the fourth round, no less.

They were better overall punters.  Many places had him as the 3-5 best punter.  He has the “best leg”, but lacked control, hang time, and placement.  

He basically rockets every kick, but the fact that he mentioned studying Ray Guy and working with former Punters to correct that and learn holding - tells me he understands and is willing to try and fix the issues and I give him props for that.

• Like (+1) 1

Only prob I had was they could have saved drafting up in the 2nd for sky moore? instead of the wasting a trade up in the the 1st with amir and booth there. Then the 3rd pick used for cook. So if A+ is the highest I'd give it an A overall

1 hour ago, Process said:

It's definitely not an A. I don't hate it but there is a lot I would have done differently.

At the end of the day we added speed on both sides of the ball which was desperately needed. But to come out of round 3 with a CB, 3rd down RB and backup LB is disappointing. 

If we simply took Parham in the 3rd, who went right after our pick, I'd like it a lot more.

B-

Would you - even if Parham does not fit what the OL coach wants and would have been a bad fit.

That I don’t get - Parham had a below Ave RAS score and it was boosted by his size.  His movement scores were all red, but he had explosion.  He was a better fit for teams that want him to stay in position and block - he was a bad fit for a Kromer line with movement needed from Center/Guards.

37 minutes ago, In Summary said:

B

Corner was a sucking chest wound that needed immediate attention. Bills had to plan for Tre missing a couple early games and then being limited for some time after.  Would really have liked that 4th for IOL.

Beane already said he would’ve used the 4th on Shakir if he had it.  

He doesn’t give af about our OL worries lol

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

C+

Did virtually nothing for the weakest link of the team last season offensive line.

Did a good amount in the offseason on the offensive line and when bates mace his way into the starting lineup down the stretch they started playing great.  We were one corner away from being the superbowl champs imo and we’ve gotta start getting prepared for edmunds’ exit as well.  

4 hours ago, Lost said:

I personally like our 1st rd pick in Kaiir Elam considereing how the board was falling though I feel we could have still gotten him 2 picks down without trading our rd 4 pick.

I suspected the Bills might try and move up a bit in the 2nd for a receiver but since they didnt move I'm okay with the Cook pick.  He will probably end up being a starter sooner rather than later.

If one pick pick from this draft has left me underwhelmed its the Bills 3rd rounder.  He'll probably be a journeyman backup but I feel there were better picks out there.

I Like the 5th round pick in Khalil Shakir.  Sad its our only WR pick but he should contribute some in this offense

Matt Araiza is our best pick of the 6th rounders.  We went from having the worst punter in the league to the best.  Hoping we go through this season without punting much again but after going through many years where our punter Brian Moorman was our MVP I understand how important the position is.

Not going to comment much on the rest of the picks but generall have no complaints there.

Overall grade B

I gave it an A.

We came into this draft imo needing to land a CB to either aide in the loss of Tre White for a couple games and play alongside of him. I really like his bloodlines as both his uncle and father played in the NFL. He has really solid overall skills with him mostly needing to work on his tackling. I also thought we needed to add more speed/depth at WR & RB and we did that taking another guy with really good current NFL bloodlines, Dalvin Cooks younger brother James Cook in the 2nd round. He immediately will compete with motor for the gig and this might make Singletary really bring out the skills we've seen from him in college and the last half of last season. Cook ran a 4.42 at the NFL combine, his pass catching is what will really bring another element to our offense because if he finds the open space we're going to get those chunk yards or long TD runs we've been waiting for. WR Khalil Shakir ran a 4.43 at the combine plus adds depth just like the James Cook pick, I didn't really think we were interested in him because I couldn't find anywhere that we interviewed or talked with him at the combine or facetime but regardless I was very happy with the pick, his hands are some of the best in this draft class, some draft pundits have said a good NFL comparison is Cooper Kupp but I'm not really a fan of comparisons as I believe these guys have a long way to go before they reach a player of Kupp's caliber. We added depth along the OL, LB and either gave Matt Hauck his walking papers or he's going to just kill it in training camp, either way we're going to have a serious kicking game when it's all said and done.

55 minutes ago, gridirongold said:

My only real hangup is still no possession runner.

Running back is an interesting problem.   You're looking for a possession run, I was pleased that they got a potential break-away threat.  

In some ways it points out that Singletary is a problem.  He's a real tweener.  He isn't an inside pounder, but he has some ability to break tackles.  He doesn't have the great speed or quickness that makes him a flashy runner.   He just does everything pretty well.  So, you want a guy with more power, I wanted a guy who can beat people at the line of scrimmage and leave the defense in the dust.  

A power runner is nice on third and short, and Moss has disappointed somewhat in that category.  I like Cook, because he increases the matchup nightmare that is the Bills' offense.  Cook like like the Bills can put him on the field in third and short, and the defense has a bigger problem than if the Bills have a possession runner in the lineup.   Yes, Cook will not get you three yards on his own, but he forces the defense to be prepared for him to split wide and either run a pass pattern or motion back to the backfield, where he can take advantage of any seam the line creates.  Or he can line up in the backfield and either motion out or run pass patterns from the backfield.  

I'm not saying one is better than the other - I would have been happy with a true power back, too.  But I think I like the direction the Bills went. 

55 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Interesting that the worst grade he gave was a C to the Colts and that was because no early pick. Seemed to me there were an awful lot of As and Bs. 

these pundits opinions are likely to be all over the map. I wouldn't be surprised to see our Bills picks  get dogged Somewhere by a different source ya know?

it is what it is.  lol Opinions are gonna Opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I gave it an A.

We came into this draft imo needing to land a CB to either aide in the loss of Tre White for a couple games and play alongside of him. I really like his bloodlines as both his uncle and father played in the NFL. He has really solid overall skills with him mostly needing to work on his tackling. I also thought we needed to add more speed/depth at WR & RB and we did that taking another guy with really good current NFL bloodlines, Dalvin Cooks younger brother James Cook in the 2nd round. He immediately will compete with motor for the gig and this might make Singletary really bring out the skills we've seen from him in college and the last half of last season. Cook ran a 4.42 at the NFL combine, his pass catching is what will really bring another element to our offense because if he finds the open space we're going to get those chunk yards or long TD runs we've been waiting for. WR Khalil Shakir ran a 4.43 at the combine plus adds depth just like the James Cook pick, I didn't really think we were interested in him because I couldn't find anywhere that we interviewed or talked with him at the combine or facetime but regardless I was very happy with the pick, his hands are some of the best in this draft class, some draft pundits have said a good NFL comparison is Cooper Kupp but I'm not really a fan of comparisons as I believe these guys have a long way to go before they reach a player of Kupp's caliber. We added depth along the OL, LB and either gave Matt Hauck his walking papers or he's going to just kill it in training camp, either way we're going to have a serious kicking game when it's all said and done.

They both have to make it to the field, but if they do, the speed upgrade to the offense is a real problem for defenses.   Some combination Diggs, Cook, Shakir, and McKenzie is going to outrun most defenses.   However, that's a decent sized "if."  Cook has to be able to pass block and learn the offense, Shakir has to be able to learn the offense and run block.  McDermott is a demanding coach, and these guys aren't hitting the field until they've shown they can play the complete position.  

And that is why McDermott's and Beane's focus on the team orientation and work ethic of players is so important.  They don't draft guys who don't have the fire burning within them to get better, and if Cook and Shakir have it, we should have a lot of fun this season.

I got

Round 1: Kaiir Elam- B+

Round 2: James Cook- B-

Round 3: Terrel Bernard C-

Round 5: Khalil Shakir A+

Round 6: Matt Araiza A

Round 6: Christian Benford B

Round 6: Luke Tenuta C+

Round 7: Baylon Spector B

Grade Average: B

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

They both have to make it to the field, but if they do, the speed upgrade to the offense is a real problem for defenses.   Some combination Diggs, Cook, Shakir, and McKenzie is going to outrun most defenses.   However, that's a decent sized "if."  Cook has to be able to pass block and learn the offense, Shakir has to be able to learn the offense and run block.  McDermott is a demanding coach, and these guys aren't hitting the field until they've shown they can play the complete position.  

And that is why McDermott's and Beane's focus on the team orientation and work ethic of players is so important.  They don't draft guys who don't have the fire burning within them to get better, and if Cook and Shakir have it, we should have a lot of fun this season.

I definitely feel Cook will be in the mix, I don't think he'll overtake Motor this season but they'll share carries and I feel Cook will be a big part of passing downs for us. Shakir has more of an uphill battle since we have Diggs, Davis, McKenzie and Crowder almost as locks imo, those thinking Shakir is going to outwork Crowder must have never seen Crowder play, he's an excellent slot WR who has been working with less QB's, I can't imagine how well he's going to do with Allen at the helm and I'm really looking forward to that.

Culture is huge, I haven't played football at a professional level but I have at the collegiate level and you can feel the difference when you're on a team that's team oriented and one that's not, I've been on both. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I definitely feel Cook will be in the mix, I don't think he'll overtake Motor this season but they'll share carries and I feel Cook will be a big part of passing downs for us. Shakir has more of an uphill battle since we have Diggs, Davis, McKenzie and Crowder almost as locks imo, those thinking Shakir is going to outwork Crowder must have never seen Crowder play, he's an excellent slot WR who has been working with less QB's, I can't imagine how well he's going to do with Allen at the helm and I'm really looking forward to that.

Culture is huge, I haven't played football at a professional level but I have at the collegiate level and you can feel the difference when you're on a team that's team oriented and one that's not, I've been on both. 

Thanks, I think this is a fair assessment, and I really appreciate the comment from personal experience.  It echoes what we hear so many Bills players say.  

And, if I had to guess, I'd say your right about the relative playing time fo the two guys.   The Bills will be highly motivated to get both guys on the field, but I think running back is an easier position to get snaps at.  There's some sophistication to running passing routes that makes it tough for just any rookie to walk on and play.  

Logic or someone made an interesting comment, which is that if Shakir can make the roster as a punt returned, that will help him start to get more playing time.   If he isn't returning punts, he might not make the 53.  

As I said, I think the Bills will be highly motivated to get them both on the field, because they drafted to add speed, and speed on the sidelines doesn't help.  If the Bills can succeed at giving them both useful roles on the field, the Bills' offense should be an absolute nightmare.   (By the way, I'm assuming Saffold on the field will be a real upgrade to the running game, and I'm assuming Kromer will be be a further upgrade from the sidelines.)

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bdomdbomb said:

C+

Can't get over spending a premium 2nd round pick on a running back who cannot block and is not known for his running.

From pro football network:

In addition to rushing and pass-catching ability, the NFL evaluates running backs on their ability to block. Cook is an extremely willing blocker both in pass protection and as a run blocker. He’s routinely tasked with chip blocking, and there were multiple examples of him getting out in front and blocking downfield in the games studied. Furthermore, he routinely looks for work in this regard, demonstrating a level of football intelligence.

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

From pro football network:

In addition to rushing and pass-catching ability, the NFL evaluates running backs on their ability to block. Cook is an extremely willing blocker both in pass protection and as a run blocker. He’s routinely tasked with chip blocking, and there were multiple examples of him getting out in front and blocking downfield in the games studied. Furthermore, he routinely looks for work in this regard, demonstrating a level of football intelligence.

Thanks for this.  I've been wondering about his blocking.  Clearly, his initial role on the team would be third-down back because of his receiving skills.  He's not getting on the field in that role if he can't handle the blitz - teams figure that out in a hurry.   If he spends this summer learning his pass pro assignments, he should be ready to go in September. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll give it a B for now.  The draft board fell in a way that worked against our needs and desires.  I didn’t like trading up, but I’m glad they got the guy they wanted if they really feel he was the only guy left.  It’s just confusing to me considering the CB prospects available.  But they got the biggest and the fastest one and he excels in man….so I’m happy with the selection.  

Cook will be an excellent pick as long as they use him correctly. I’m really excited to see how he can help this team win games.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.