Of the serious SB Contenders who had the best draft?

Big Blitz

To me in order and the picks I liked

1. Chiefs:  McDuffie (21), Karlaftis (30), Moore (54), Cook S (62) Chenal (103), Kinnard OL (145)

2. Packers: Walker (22), Wyatt (28), Watson (34), Doubs (132), Enagbare (179)

3. Bills: Elam, Cook, Shakir, Bernard, Araiza

Anyone have one they thought will significantly bolster SB chances?  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Those are good picks, but then I think you also have to account for the fact that both the Chiefs and Packers had to fill holes they created by trading away #1 receivers. Both teams could be said to have better drafts but more ground to make up.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 6

Jordan Dajani of CBS Sports really liked the Ravens draft:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2022-nfl-draft-winners-and-losers-jets-eagles-ravens-get-top-hauls-bumpy-road-for-baker-mayfield-patriots/

"The Ravens clearly had one of the best drafts, and it's because they took the best available player more often than not. Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton may be the best player in the draft, Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum is a legitimate first-round talent and David Ojabo is a first-rounder if he doesn't suffer a torn Achilles. Maybe he will miss his rookie season, but it's worth it if he's a star for many years to come.

It wasn't just the first few picks that the Ravens scored highly on. Fourth-round pick Daniel Faalele is a 6-foot-8 offensive tackle who could have a bright future in the league, cornerback Jalyn Armour-Davis was an "A+" pick and then Baltimore took two tight ends in Charlie Kolar from Iowa State and Isaiah Likely from Coastal Carolina. That sounds like a weird strategy, but Likely is a versatile pass-catcher who probably will line up in several different spots."

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

To me in order and the picks I liked

1. Chiefs:  McDuffie (21), Karlaftis (30), Moore (54), Cook S (62) Chenal (103), Kinnard OL (145)

2. Packers: Walker (22), Wyatt (28), Watson (34), Doubs (132), Enagbare (179)

3. Bills: Elam, Cook, Shakir, Bernard, Araiza

Anyone have one they thought will significantly bolster SB chances?  

The Ravens... They didn't make the playoffs because Lamar got injured but he's healthy again, they get all their injured players back, also added Kyle Hamilton, Tyler Lindenbaum, David Ojabo, Charlie Kolar, Jordan Stout and Isiah Likely in the draft

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, chongli said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2022-nfl-draft-winners-and-losers-jets-eagles-ravens-get-top-hauls-bumpy-road-for-baker-mayfield-patriots/

"The Ravens clearly had one of the best drafts, and it's because they took the best available player more often than not. Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton may be the best player in the draft, Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum is a legitimate first-round talent and David Ojabo is a first-rounder if he doesn't suffer a torn Achilles. Maybe he will miss his rookie season, but it's worth it if he's a star for many years to come.

It wasn't just the first few picks that the Ravens scored highly on. Fourth-round pick Daniel Faalele is a 6-foot-8 offensive tackle who could have a bright future in the league, cornerback Jalyn Armour-Davis was an "A+" pick and then Baltimore took two tight ends in Charlie Kolar from Iowa State and Isaiah Likely from Coastal Carolina. That sounds like a weird strategy, but Likely is a versatile pass-catcher who probably will line up in several different spots."

not when your qb cant throw on the perimeters. God help us if BAL ever gets ahold of a QB who can use the whole field

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

The Ravens... They didn't make the playoffs because Lamar got injured but he's healthy again, they get all their injured players back, also added Kyle Hamilton, Tyler Lindenbaum, David Ojabo, Charlie Kolar, Jordan Stout and Isiah Likely in the draft

I liked their draft too. Good thing is that the Bills seem to own LJ. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

They did nothing to address WR though after trading Brown away.  They got great value picks throughout but Bateman is now their #1 WR.  They seem content on running the ball and relying on a strong defense.  Just a strange way to build a roster in today's pass happy NFL.

• Agree 2

KC got a haul, but does it make up for losing their best player? Maybe not year 1 but if they are able to figure out how to match their offensive output then they will come out ahead by filling a lot of their holes.

Ravens got some nice picks but who the heck are they going to throw to? I don't even know what WR they have at this point. Lamar does not seem happy. Does he even want to re-sign there? No contract talks seems really bizarre.

Bills filled a lot of needs this year but what about next year when they need to sign all of their TE's, Edmunds, Poyer, Gabe, OG. Way more needs next year. Probably should have traded one of those later round picks for a pick next year if they weren't sold on anyone. Still need a 3rd option at outside WR. If Stef or Gabe aren't 100% who comes in? Kumerow? Need a better option than that. Sanders wasn't the best but gave the room good leadership too. A savvy vet like that would be good

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They did nothing to address WR though after trading Brown away.  They got great value picks throughout but Bateman is now their #1 WR.  They seem content on running the ball and relying on a strong defense.  Just a strange way to build a roster in today's pass happy NFL.

They took 2 TEs in one draft before in Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews in 2018.  Maxx Williams and Nick Boyle in 2015.  

I didn't love the Chiefs opening night. I'm lower than most on McDuffie, though I do think he is a good scheme fit for Spags, and Karlaftis is an edge setter rather than a pass rusher to me. But after that? Man they crushed it. Even into the 7th last night where they took my guy Jaylen Watson who I flagged in the sleepers thread out of Washington State. He is probably a practice squad guy year 1 but if he is developed properly that kid has the raw ingredients to be a starter in this league. 

The NFL is obsessed with Quarterback, obviously, but when you pay those guys now it is essential that you continue to draft well. And the Chiefs have a very good general manager. That will help them stay competitive. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BobbyC81 said:

They took 2 TEs in one draft before in Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews in 2018.  Maxx Williams and Nick Boyle in 2015.  

Good point.  They also took Darren Waller in 2015.  I was just surprised most of the national media are fawning over their draft yet they failed to address their most pressing need after losing Hollywood Brown.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

The boring answer is it's impossible to tell. we won't know for 3 years as the draft is basically a lottery.

But I get it as everyone wants to project winners/losers now as it's more fun to talk about.

This used to be the case.  In some ways it still is....but if you draft well, you can put guys on the field sooner and get a pretty good idea in a short time what you have.

I know...KC Fan....but Nick Bolton, Creed Humphrey and Tre Smith...all drafted last year...all started...all were good.  Without Smith and Humphrey...KC would not have been able to sustain a division winning record last year...they nailed the draft...so it can happen.

I like the Chiefs draft, but I'll wait and see how it looks on the field before I really have a strong opinion about it.  I certainly wouldn't have thought KC nailed it as well as they did last year a day after the draft was over.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

This used to be the case.  In some ways it still is....but if you draft well, you can put guys on the field sooner and get a pretty good idea in a short time what you have.

I know...KC Fan....but Nick Bolton, Creed Humphrey and Tre Smith...all drafted last year...all started...all were good.  Without Smith and Humphrey...KC would not have been able to sustain a division winning record last year...they nailed the draft...so it can happen.

I like the Chiefs draft, but I'll wait and see how it looks on the field before I really have a strong opinion about it.  I certainly wouldn't have thought KC nailed it as well as they did last year a day after the draft was over.

Interesting that you seem to have cultivated a “draft buddy” relationship with Belichick… must be a mutual case of the “enemy of my enemy is my friend…”

Unfortunately might end up a 1 year thing as they might be picking too high next year… 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Interesting that you seem to have cultivated a “draft buddy” relationship with Belichick… must be a mutual case of the “enemy of my enemy is my friend…”

Unfortunately might end up a 1 year thing as they might be picking too high next year… 

I thought we might do business going up to 21.  ...was surprised they were willing to trade up though...not a typical Bill thing to do.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, chongli said:

Too bad they have a gaping hole at WR

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

KC got a haul, but does it make up for losing their best player? Maybe not year 1 but if they are able to figure out how to match their offensive output then they will come out ahead by filling a lot of their holes.

Ravens got some nice picks but who the heck are they going to throw to? I don't even know what WR they have at this point. Lamar does not seem happy. Does he even want to re-sign there? No contract talks seems really bizarre.

Bills filled a lot of needs this year but what about next year when they need to sign all of their TE's, Edmunds, Poyer, Gabe, OG. Way more needs next year. Probably should have traded one of those later round picks for a pick next year if they weren't sold on anyone. Still need a 3rd option at outside WR. If Stef or Gabe aren't 100% who comes in? Kumerow? Need a better option than that. Sanders wasn't the best but gave the room good leadership too. A savvy vet like that would be good

Shakir...he can play anywhere on the field according to his scouting report.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.