Locked on Bills Joe Marino’s ‘painful’ recent experience with Coach Aaron Kromer…

The setting here is from The Draft Network’s 3 day draft coverage, where Marino is a full time scout. In addition to breaking down Luke Tenuta, it came out that in the vid Coach Kromer demonstrated his bruising O-Line techniques on Joe in a recent meeting (maybe at the combine).

He also said Kromer is very particular in who he wants to work with, so he must have seen something in Tenuta/he’s wired the right way etc., prompting the pick.

• Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, RockpileSurvivor said:

The setting here is from The Draft Network’s 3 day draft coverage, where Marino is a full time scout. In addition to breaking down Luke Tenuta, it came out that in the vid Coach Kromer demonstrated his bruising O-Line techniques on Joe in a recent meeting (maybe at the combine).

He also said Kromer is very particular in who he wants to work with, so he must have seen something in Tenuta/he’s wired the right way etc., prompting the pick.

i think there is a little bit of the “ghost of Wyatt teller” at play too. Beane said the VA Tech coach— similar to with Teller— raved about Tenuta. Beane today expressed regret a few times on letting Teller get away and not being patient enough with his development. 

Sounds like they all know Tenuta’s shortcomings with leverage and technique, but think they can coach him up. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Kromer was one of the best additions this offseason, coach or player. The OL will be much better off with his coaching. Will be interesting to see how Cody Ford plays. It's sink or swim time, no excuses.

You have to think there is more “there - there” with Ford.  The Bills were very high on him coming out of the draft.  He also started games. Maybe coaching will renew his career. I know the board likes to bash the guy and deservedly so.  His play was atrocious at times.

• Like (+1) 2

There seems to be this perception by some that the Bills aren’t investing enough on the O-line and that it may have gone backwards from this past year.

That doesn’t make sense.

Departures:

Mongo

Darryl Williams

Mongo was a very serviceable depth piece and Darryl Williams was an average to solid guard this past year.

They are being replaced by Quessenberry who is an upgrade over Mongo that can play either guard or the swing tackle positions.   Saffold who is viewed by most an upgrade over Darryl Williams.

Then you have Bates who will have the inside track at one of the starting guard spots who would you’d think have a decent chance at showing growth and improvement and Spencer Brown now going into his second year which you’d expect growth and improvement as well.

The line may start off a little rusty being that you would have a couple positional changes from last year but on paper the unit should be stronger than this past year.

As of right now, it appears to me that next year they will look to address the O-line with a premium draft choice or two.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

There seems to be this perception by some that the Bills aren’t investing enough on the O-line and that it may have gone backwards from this past year.

That doesn’t make sense.

Departures:

Mongo

Darryl Williams

Mongo was a very serviceable depth piece and Darryl Williams was an average to solid guard this past year.

They are being replaced by Quessenberry who is an upgrade over Mongo that can play either guard or the swing tackle positions.   Saffold who is viewed by most an upgrade over Darryl Williams.

Then you have Bates who will have the inside track at one of the starting guard spots who would you’d think have a decent chance at showing growth and improvement and Spencer Brown now going into his second year which you’d expect growth and improvement as well.

The line may start off a little rusty being that you would have a couple positional changes from last year but on paper the unit should be stronger than this past year.

As of right now, it appears to me that next year they will look to address the O-line with a premium draft choice or two.

I don't accept either of the bolded assertions. So while I do expect Saffold and Bates to be better than Feliciano and Williams I don't accept that is a very high bar. Feliciano was atrocious in 2021 and have been below average most of his career here (he had a spell of average play at the end of 2020 until Chris Jones obliterated him in the AFCCG and that was his high point). Williams was a good, above average tackle for us in 2020. I was all in on re-signing him. Not sure what happened but his play dropped off and inside at guard he was below average but not a liability which was the best the Bills had. 

Improving on those two guys is not hard. Williams is unsigned at this point and Feliciano is penciled in for a backup job on a Giants line that was terrible before he got there. That says it all. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't accept either of the bolded assertions. So while I do expect Saffold and Bates to be better than Feliciano and Williams I don't accept that is a very high bar. Feliciano was atrocious in 2021 and have been below average most of his career here (he had a spell of average play at the end of 2020 until Chris Jones obliterated him in the AFCCG and that was his high point). Williams was a good, above average tackle for us in 2020. I was all in on re-signing him. Not sure what happened but his play dropped off and inside at guard he was below average but not a liability which was the best the Bills had. 

Improving on those two guys is not hard. Williams is unsigned at this point and Feliciano is penciled in for a backup job on a Giants line that was terrible before he got there. That says it all. 

There are only so many positions you can address in an off-season and the Bills addressed many if not all of them.  

With that said there are different levels of how you address the positions of need.  Buffalo believed that the pass rush was a major area of need and they spent significant cap space to get a difference maker in Von Miller.

The Bills thought they were too inconsistent up the middle so they got  Daquan Jones and Settles and spent some Cap capital in that position specially considering they had to take a dead cap hit with Star.

The Bills were exposed by the Chiefs speed and they subsequently let Wallace walk and added the most significant draft capital piece with their first rounder in selecting Kaiir Elam.

For a year where the Bills had to do many things to create room to add some pieces they still were able to on paper manage upgrading their O-line from last year, which arguably played at an above average level the last 6-7 games that they played.

You can’t always get everything you want but when you look at what they did with the overall team, I don’t see how anyone could not look at the Bills and not see an improved team.

For me it boils down to two things:

Can the Bills have another relatively healthy season with minimum amount of injuries?

And Is Dorsey going to be an effective OC that will lead this juggernaut of an offense to continue its momentum of the past two years?

If those 2 things continue, then the Bills are clearly better than they were the previous year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 4/30/2022 at 10:07 PM, RockpileSurvivor said:

I love to see Kromer try the techniques on Joe LOL

Interestingly enough, he talks a lot about Kromer wanting specific types of players on the OL.  It does make you wonder what he can do with Cody Ford.  

40 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They are def a better team just by adding Von Miller…. They will certainly run into problems if the injuries mount at certain positions offensively…. Whereas they could survive the same issues defensively because they have better depth there and they showed last season they can overcome despite losing their best defensive piece…. Wish those were the opposite situations because the teams success more often than not rides on their offenses success.

This is a really reasonable assessment of the Bills current roster talent distribution between offense and defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2022 at 7:42 AM, GunnerBill said:

Giants fans are foolish. They think Feliciano is the second coming for some reason. A lot of fans have pencilled him in as their starting center. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Giants fans are foolish. They think Feliciano is the second coming for some reason. A lot of fans have pencilled him in as their starting center. 

I think that is very optimistic, but if he can get his functional strength back I do think center was his best position. He was always a backup center masquerading as a starting guard to my mind. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I thought Feliciano was going to be better, but when he lost weight,  he just didn’t look the same.

Neuther loss surprised me.  Saffold may be getting older, but he is still a solid run blocking G.

For those saying O Line is an issue, Beane has worked on it every year since he came to Buffalo.

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They are def a better team just by adding Von Miller…. They will certainly run into problems if the injuries mount at certain positions offensively…. Whereas they could survive the same issues defensively because they have better depth there and they showed last season they can overcome despite losing their best defensive piece…. Wish those were the opposite situations because the teams success more often than not rides on their offenses success.

I agree with much of this, but I’ll come back to what I’ve been saying about the OL…Bobby Johnson was/is an AWFUL OL coach.  I mean, terrible, no-good, atrocious.  I hear a lot of moaning and groaning about not doing enough on the interior OL this offseason but Beach Chairs is going to make a significant difference.  Mark my words.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The offense (Allen) particularly without doubt the engine that drives the team.  I agree with the idea of surrounding him with more talent because I do believe it does create somewhat of a multiplier effect in that Allen makes people around him look even better than they actually are.

I have been a proponent of adding more offensive talent around him but if you look at the Oline relative to last year it is on paper better than last year or at a bare minimum a push.

The WR room is essentially a wash - out goes Sanders and Beasley and in comes Shakir and Crowder and now a third year player in Gabe who should be better than last year.

Then the RB’s are stronger than last year primarily to the speedy and versatile Cook.

The tight ends are upgraded with the addition of Howard.

The Bills didn’t have most of their failures because of their offense (aside from the Jax debacle) but because of their defense.   Their defense played very well most of the year but in critical moments and segments of games it was the defense that was the primary culprit of those lapses and defeats.

TN, KC, Indy and TB.    The offense should have been enough to win home field advantage and against KC.  Which is why they addressed it this off season.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A coach can only do so much… but we will see. I still think they add another depth piece to make Ford definitely expendable(he already should be)…. Beane def seems to be hard headed with Ford… doesn’t seem to want to admit he’s a bust. 

There are countless examples of players who did not reach their potential until they were paired with the right coach, and Ford has also struggled to stay healthy.  I am NOT predicting Cody Ford will make this roster, but we’ll see in camp and preseason whether B.C. can save him.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:13 PM, LeGOATski said:

Kromer was one of the best additions this offseason, coach or player. The OL will be much better off with his coaching. Will be interesting to see how Cody Ford plays. It's sink or swim time, no excuses.

It was reported on WGR that he’s giving Cody Ford a clean slate. He feels Ford has a ton of potential and he thinks he can fix him.

I’m anxious to see what he can do.

41 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It was reported on WGR that he’s giving Cody Ford a clean slate. He feels Ford has a ton of potential and he thinks he can fix him.

I’m anxious to see what he can do.

Yeah, he's not wrong. Dude was a 2nd round pick for a reason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

On 4/30/2022 at 9:07 PM, RockpileSurvivor said:

Good find.

Almost makes it seem as though Kromer may have wanted some "raw clay he could mold" in Tenuta

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.