Reported Bills UDFA signing - 11 signed, 3 Camp Invites *Updated* 09:32 (4 open spots)

MAJBobby

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Will any team sign off on the Medicals? That neck injury is scary

I don't know, BUT I've said it earlier, I basically only trust the Bills medical staff based on history. He might legitimately be a guy who has to play in Canada or USFL for a year or two to prove he's healthy first. Seeing as he was able to play in 21 for Clemson I'd hope it's not as bad as originally thought

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For the Love of Little Pink Penquins, What the ***** is our plan at OG?

You mean for next year? We're all set with great depth this year. We can worry about next year next year. Guard is not a premium position you have to worry about a year in advance.

52 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

In conjunction with Rodger Saffold and Ryan Bates who are clearly Starters - David Quessenberry is like Daryl Williams in that he can play both positions. Greg Mancz started 4 games last season and can play Guard.

Ike Boettger started 10 games for us last season and there's been advances in Achilles rehab that has paid dividends with players, Cam Akers returning to the Rams in 5 months just last season.

And I believe they'd like to see if Aaron Kromer can bring something extra out of Cody Ford, given the large investment we paid, trading up at the top of Round 2 in 2019.

That's 6 different players who strictly play Guard or can play Inside. I don't think adding UDFA's at Guard changes anything.

Thank you. All the talk and panic about IOL this offseason has been so strange

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

OG.........need bodies there

The amazing depth of the Bills roster is greatly overstated.......especially on the offensive side of the ball.......this UDFA class is going to be the largest ever so they should be able to get some competition and maybe even a guy or two who will actually MAKE the 53.

I'm under-enthused by our lone IOL signing in Alec Anderson from UCLA.  I agree with you that our IOL depth is thin. 

Ford wasn't good enough last season

Boettger may need a year to come back from his Achilles - a study showed 68% RTP recently, but many of those players need a year to return to form

Quessenberry had most of his game experience at RT and wasn't good enough for the Titans to keep him although he's a terrific personal story - he may be here to compete with Spencer Brown

Greg Mancz is IMO is this year's Feliciano, a smart versatile guy who can play all 3 IOL positions but when he had his chance to start, he couldn't lock it down

Question for all: who else is out there as an UDFA or FA?

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For the Love of Little Pink Penquins, What the ***** is our plan at OG?

Saffold and Bates as starters, Ford, Q-Berry as backups with Boettger starting the year on PUP. 

My guess is you have:

OT- Dawkins, Brown, Q-Berry, Doyle

OG- Saffold, Bates, Ford, Q-Berry

OC- Morse, Mancz 

PUP-Boettger

My biggest concern is actually Center. If Morse goes down does Mancz come in or does Bates go to Center and Q-Berry comes in at Guard

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BTB said:

Time machine to take us back to the day before Teller was traded to the Browns? 😂

HA!  Beane all but said he wanted one in his post-draft presser.

6 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Saffold and Bates as starters, Ford, Q-Berry as backups with Boettger starting the year on PUP. 

My guess is you have:

OT- Dawkins, Brown, Q-Berry, Doyle

OG- Saffold, Bates, Ford, Q-Berry

OC- Morse, Mancz 

PUP-Boettger

My biggest concern is actually Center. If Morse goes down does Mancz come in or does Bates go to Center and Q-Berry comes in at Guard

I think both of those plans at backup C work.  It may come down to who's most comfortable with Kromer's teachings and who's most comfortable with Josh?

I think you have it on the depth chart too, but given Beane talked about an OL of Dawkins-Bates-Morse-Williams-Brown as "a starting point",  I gotta say that an OL of Dawkins-Saffold-Morse-Bates-Brown doesn't look like it's moved the needle off that "starting point" very far, unless Kromer has a magic wand to improve Saffold's performance at pass pro.

Methinks Beane speaks with forked tongue about building from the lines when it comes to offense.

24 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

All the talk and panic about IOL this offseason has been so strange

Quantity does not equal quality.  If any of Bates-Morse-Saffold go down for any period of time, you better hope that Kromer is a miracle worker. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

One big factor was his disaster of a combine and his 5.03 40.

apparently one reason he dropped was, literally, drops in 2021?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jalen-wydermyer/32005759-4420-7645-e2fb-d732d109ac25https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jalen-wydermyer/32005759-4420-7645-e2fb-d732d109ac25

31 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

You mean for next year? We're all set with great depth this year. We can worry about next year next year. Guard is not a premium position you have to worry about a year in advance.

Ah.  Permit me to point out a little contradiction. 

If guard is not a premium position, and you don't want to use a high pick on it (1st or 2nd round), fine

But later round picks often take a year or two to develop into pro-level talents

There are guys who come in like Trey Smith for KC and play very well as rookies

Question since you appear to have studied the matter:

how many of the starting guards in the NFL who were drafted in later rounds, actually played very well their first season, or even first 2 seasons?

how many took 1-2 season to develop?

Wyatt Teller started looking like "all that and a bag of Chips" his 3rd year in the league

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm under-enthused by our lone IOL signing in Alec Anderson from UCLA.  I agree with you that our IOL depth is thin. 

Ford wasn't good enough last season

Boettger may need a year to come back from his Achilles - a study showed 68% RTP recently, but many of those players need a year to return to form

Quessenberry had most of his game experience at RT and wasn't good enough for the Titans to keep him although he's a terrific personal story - he may be here to compete with Spencer Brown

Greg Mancz is IMO is this year's Feliciano, a smart versatile guy who can play all 3 IOL positions but when he had his chance to start, he couldn't lock it down

Question for all: who else is out there as an UDFA or FA?

I agree that Mancz is like Feliciano.....circling the drain......they are about the same age.......it wasn't any kind of upgrade IMO........the Miami OL was terrible.

Jeremiah Sirles was that way when he came to Buffalo too......couple years removed from starting 10 games.......but there was more interior OL depth....or at least the perception of it because they had some young, seemingly promising options at that time.  

And they also have nobody who they can have any confidence in whatsoever to back up Dawkins at LT.

They could stand to add 3 more reserve OL..........two interior and a swing tackle. 

I like Kromer a lot but I sure ain't counting on him turning Cody Ford into a serviceable option.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I fully acknowledge that I am NOT a college football fan. 

But who sees Shakir as outside WR depth?

All the scouting reports I've read say he played strictly in the slot.

He played mainly outside.  Man of the draft analysts had him pegged as strictly slot, but I think that is far from clear. 

2 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Some top UDFA to keep track of

OT

Kellen Diesch - Az State

OG

Josh Sills - OK State

William Dunkle - SD State

S

Juanyeah Thomas - GA Tech

Verone McKinley III - Oregon

Smoke Monday - Auburn

Yusuf Corker - Kentucky

Jack Koerner - Iowa

DE

Christopher Allen - Alabama

Tyree Johnson - Texas A&M

LB

Aaron Hansford - Texas A&M

JoJo Domann - Nebraska

Zakoby McClain - Auburn

Mike Rose - Iowa State

CB

Joshua Jobe - Alabama

Vincent Gray - Michigan

WR

Makai Polk - Mississippi State

Kevin Austin Jr. - Notre Dame

Josh Johnson - Tulsa

RB

ZaQuandre White - South Carolina

Jaylon Warren - Ok State

TE

Chase Allen - Iowa State

Why are you not listing Weatherford or Blankenship here? Both are probably the best safeties we can get in UDFA if you sort through all the various scouting profiles. We need safety depth because what we do know is Poyer isn’t happy and we have uncertainty in his backups. 

12 minutes ago, BTB said:

Quantity does not equal quality.  If any of Bates-Morse-Saffold go down for any period of time, you better hope that Kromer is a miracle worker. 

I am hoping he is the Second Coming of Coach Scar

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Ford blows… really unfortunate they can’t just let him go and start anew… the Bills have one of if not the best starting rosters in the league, good depth on defense but really suspect depth on the offensive line and at wide out…. Could ***** em come playoff time.

It's a bad day when I find myself agreeing with ScottLaw but I'm forced to agree that the depth on OL appears tenuous at this point.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So Crowder 1,000+ yards?

The top 3 WR's should probably end up with 3000+ total.

812 is just 48 yards per game.

Spitballing:

100 x 13 for Diggs = 1300/ 10

65 x 12.5 for Davis = 812/ 6

65 x 10 for Crowder = 650/ 4

55 x 10 for Knox = 500/ 8

That is 3312 without RBs or other WR/TE

Add 1000 around the other RBs/ WR/ TE

Would anyone be surprised to see

25 x 11 for McKenze = 275/ 2

50 x 8 for RBs = 400/ 4

20 x 9 for Howard = 180/ 2

that is 855, with 145/ 4 for others

4320 passing yards/ 40 TD seems about right as an estimate.

Edited by RocCityRoller

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.