Reported Bills UDFA signing - 11 signed, 3 Camp Invites *Updated* 09:32 (4 open spots)

MAJBobby

The Bills only had 2 TEs (and Gilliam at FB) on the 53 man roster to start last season.  At best I see them carrying 3 on the roster this year and it will be between Wydermeyer and Morris.

First of all, thanks, OP, for compiling this list.  It was not very long ago that I would pour over these UDFA signings hoping one or two would make the Bills roster and surprise everyone.

Now, it’s just fun to see if I recognize anyone.  I hope they get a chance somewhere, because it ain’t likely to be Buffalo.  I suppose I agree with most of you that the guy with the best chance is probably the Aggie TE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Gilliam has STs in his favour. I think he is very unlikely to be cut. The only FB on the roster, can play some tight end and has been a critical piece on special teams. At some point before camp I will do the exercise I did last year where I look back at exactly who did what job for them on teams in 2021, because it helps you determine who plays some STs but is easily replaceable there and who has been playing the critical spots on their ST unit. Generally guys on rookie deals who have been playing key spots on ST are hard to shift off a roster. 

I tend to agree. I just don't think they are going to use a fullback at all. JMO, but that 15% snap count rate is likely to be more like 0-5%. If they do keep him it will be all about special teams. 

Let me add that if I did a 53 projection right now, Gilliam would likely be on it. I think it just depends on what happens with these tight ends and how many Dorsey plans on using. 

Excited to see what Wydermeyer does. He has the skillset to be productive. Hopefully being in the right clubhouse allows him to develop and contribute. Will be an added bonus and another weapon for the offense if he does. Could easily see him start off at TE #3

14 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I tend to agree. I just don't think they are going to use a fullback at all. JMO, but that 15% snap count rate is likely to be more like 0-5%. If they do keep him it will be all about special teams. 

Let me add that if I did a 53 projection right now, Gilliam would likely be on it. I think it just depends on what happens with these tight ends and how many Dorsey plans on using. 

I don't know what they plan going forward, but a note that Gilliam got 20% of the snaps the last 2 reg season games and 34% against NE in the playoffs, 25% vs KC.  That argues a guy they were starting to depend upon more at the end of the season.

Didn't we use a fullback in our run game when Kromer was here before?  Boobie Dixon and Jerome Felton?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know what they plan going forward, but a note that Gilliam got 20% of the snaps the last 2 reg season games and 34% against NE in the playoffs, 25% vs KC.  That argues a guy they were starting to depend upon more at the end of the season.

Didn't we use a fullback in our run game when Kromer was here before?  Boobie Dixon and Jerome Felton?

Gilliam brings that one great value the Bills value: Versatility. As was mentioned, he can play TE, they have lined him up by himself and as the lead blocker (fullback) in the backfield, I remember one play late in the season where they set him out wide and he caught a pass for a big gain, and he as a primary role on Special Teams. There may be others, and new ones, who can do anyone of those things better than him, but his value is his ability to do all these things well. I think his job is safe in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My stance is more about Dorsey and Brady than Kromer. The Felton/Boobie years was Rex Ryan ground and pound with Greg Roman. Just a totally different offense. 

Shula/Dorsey had Mike Tolbert in Carolina, but he really wasn't a FB. Joe Brady basically got rid of the fullback at LSU and Carolina. I think we are going see a mostly one back offense with the tight end playing the F off the line. Doesn't mean Gilliam does not make it, but it depends on if they want to keep more tight ends and whether or not they want to keep Moss/Duke Johnson. Gilliam's prowess on special teams is why he makes it. Regardless of what we saw last year, I don't think we are going see the fullback very much.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Greg Dulcich ran a 4.69 and I watched every play he made. I don't know how sick Wyndermyer was but on tape he's faster than Dulcich. Sorry Sweeney but you're gonzo. This kid is making the team.

Wydermyer has a huge uphill climb to beat out Sweeney.  Wydermyer runs like he has cement in his shoes and can’t block for ***** at his size.  

• Eyeroll 1

46 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Wydermyer has a huge uphill climb to beat out Sweeney.  Wydermyer runs like he has cement in his shoes and can’t block for ***** at his size.  

Apparently you’ve watched no tape on Him??

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Joe Marino talking points. Tommy Sweeney has no upside. JA17 may have to beg McBeane into keeping him so he has somebody to go to the Sabres game with 😦

17 hours ago, CSBill said:

Gilliam brings that one great value the Bills value: Versatility. As was mentioned, he can play TE, they have lined him up by himself and as the lead blocker (fullback) in the backfield, I remember one play late in the season where they set him out wide and he caught a pass for a big gain, and he as a primary role on Special Teams. There may be others, and new ones, who can do anyone of those things better than him, but his value is his ability to do all these things well. I think his job is safe in Buffalo.

There was a play down the right sideline last season where Gilliam recorded the fastest speed for any Bills player that week. He was out in front of a skill player (I think) on the sideline and kind of pulling away from him. He's more athletic than we might realize. (I know my anecdotal observation here is woefully lacking specific details, but I recall this moment vividly, as it was sneakily apparent in real time and then kind of eye opening after the fact when the MPH was revealed.)

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.