Reported Bills UDFA signing - 11 signed, 3 Camp Invites *Updated* 09:32 (4 open spots)

MAJBobby

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ha.  Well, to continue your analogy - every prospectus has some small print saying "past performance does not guarantee future results".   Of course it doesn't, but nonetheless, investors use past results of various kinds to predict what the future performance of that investment may be.

So what are the Bills past investment results on the OL under Beane?

2018: horrible.  Beane said after the season, he was cap limited but he could have done more, he should have done more

2019: significant improvement under Bobby Johnson.  our run game improved and Josh had more time to throw, most games.  but we improved from a low bar to a meh bar IMHO.  Traded Wyatt Teller just before the season.

2020: stronger pass pro with Darryl Williams solidifying the RT position, but Trouble in the Run Game teepee with zone blocking

2021: run game follies continued.  we re-instituted more gap and pin and pull plays in the run game.  Bobby Johnson left after the season.  FA additions such as Forrest Lamp and Jamil Douglas did not prove out.  Extensive OL remodeling during the season to attempt to find a lineup that worked.

Bottom line, over the last 4 years IMO the management, the talent acquisition, and the results on OL have all been suspect.  So while you may be right that the Bills believe in the "horses they have", past performance leads one to question the basis for that believe and its soundness

The only time I felt encouraged by our run game during the entire JA era would be the final 4 games last season when we finally returned to "pulling guards".

I think the ability of Cook to receive will open up our run game somewhat, but you're right in saying our OL still needs improvement. Hopefully Kromer can get some continuity going.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:03 PM, Rochesterfan said:

I think they offered him 17 - not sure that is in use - Right?

Bills could make a fortune cutting up all the remaining #17 jerseys into patches sold with signed Josh Allen trading cards,

The question is does Josh want to change jersey numbers and if so who will have to change jersey numbers (or be fired) for big man in stadium?

9 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

Re-signing Darryl Williams to something close to a vet minimum contract is also a possibility.

How is it no team has signed him yet ? He’s a better guard or a RT then anything on Miami’s OL 

57 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Actually lived in the town for Northwest Missouri State for like 6 years growing up, didn't really follow the team, though I knew they were good. So looked it up and odd bit of symmetry they lost their division's championship game 4 years in a row, got it the 5th time though.

On 4/30/2022 at 5:00 PM, RobbRiddick said:

Who will be the guy we all obsess over being an absolute 100% pro bowler in the rough* this year???

(*only to see him gone at first cut down)

I hope he's not gone at the first cut down, but Tanner Owen's gonna get my vote!

3 hours ago, Putin said:

How is it no team has signed him yet ? He’s a better guard or a RT then anything on Miami’s OL 

My guess is that Williams wants to wait until this week and see if someone will give him a better-than-vet-minimum longer-than-1 yr deal

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you (or anyone else) help me understand the Quessenberry love?

Thanks

He allowed the most sacks in the league last year(11), so he's got that going for him.

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks

He started the entire season for the Titans last year. Appeared in 29 games over the past two seasons. You can do a lot worse than a full years starter from the season before as a backup. What are you expecting from a Reserve? Another Pro Bowler? How can he be a worse option than what Tommy Doyle or Jon Feliciano provided us in the same role the year before?

Kromer is reportedly very particular about the type of guys he likes. So he must see something in his game that he likes, feels he can fix, and/or works within the schemes he's planning.

Again, you don't have to like him. But he is who Kromer and Beane chose amongst all other options available to them in Free Agency at this point. And looking over the list of who's available at this point, I don't see much that would be much of an upgrade over what we have and have brought in. Beane's not sitting there going "Hapless Bills Fan didn't like this signing, so I better go out and get another one".

It's not love so much as an understanding that he is who was brought in for the role. We lost Daryl Williams, Jon Feliciano, and Coach Bobby Johnson. We brought in Rodger Saffold (upgrade over Williams at G), David Quessenberry, Greg Mancz, Drafted Luke Tenuta, brought in 3 UDFA's, and Coach Bobby Kromer (upgrade). They've addressed the Line the way they thought best.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks

I, for one, do not believe in miracle workers, but some people think that Kromer can squeeze something out of Ford, who sucks across-the-board. Following that logic, there is more hope for Quessenberry, who apparently sucks at pass protection but is pretty good at run blocking.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• MAJBobby changed the title to Reported Bills UDFA signing - 11 signed, 3 Camp Invites *Updated* 09:32 (4 open spots)
7 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He started the entire season for the Titans last year. Appeared in 29 games over the past two seasons. You can do a lot worse than a full years starter from the season before as a backup. What are you expecting from a Reserve? Another Pro Bowler? How can he be a worse option than what Tommy Doyle or Jon Feliciano provided us in the same role the year before?

You're right that a backup with significant starting experience is a reasonable add.   But some posters have been talking as though he counts as a significant *improvement* to the OL this year, should he have to start either at swing tackle or at guard.

Kromer is reportedly very particular about the type of guys he likes. So he must see something in his game that he likes, feels he can fix, and/or works within the schemes he's planning.

He's 31 and has been in the league since 2013.  Usually when a guy has been in the league that long, his technique is pretty well engrained in muscle memory and "he is who he is".  Occasionally a guy will improve.  Maybe that's more possible on OL than other positions, I dunno.

Again, you don't have to like him. But he is who Kromer and Beane chose amongst all other options available to them in Free Agency at this point. And looking over the list of who's available at this point, I don't see much that would be much of an upgrade over what we have and have brought in. Beane's not sitting there going "Hapless Bills Fan didn't like this signing, so I better go out and get another one".

The question was "help me understand the Quessenberry love".  Instructing me that Beane isn't sitting there saying "Hapless Bills Fan didn't like this signing" doesn't address the question.  Strangely enough, I didn't believe that he was.

And my overarching question isn't "who's available at this point", it's "Did Beane do enough to improve our OL from something he referred to post-season as "a good starting point". 

It's not love so much as an understanding that he is who was brought in for the role. We lost Daryl Williams, Jon Feliciano, and Coach Bobby Johnson. We brought in Rodger Saffold (upgrade over Williams at G), David Quessenberry, Greg Mancz, Drafted Luke Tenuta, brought in 3 UDFA's, and Coach Bobby Kromer (upgrade). They've addressed the Line the way they thought best.

Clearly they addressed the line in the way they thought best at this point.  They addressed the line in the way they thought best prior to the 2018 season, leaving McDermott saying plaintively during the season "I thought at least we'd be able to run the ball" and Beane after the season saying "I could have done more" "I should have done more."

So the question some are asking (myself included) is: "does the way they addressed the line, actually count as an improvement?"  It's not "who is left at this point?" it's "were there better linemen they could have acquired earlier in FA or at a point where they were drafting?"

Saffold is an upgrade on Williams in the run game - when he's on the field.  Saffold may be a significant downgrade in the passing game, and we're a passing team.  Maybe that's something Kromer thinks he can fix, I dunno.   as has been noted elsewhere, Saffold missed 2 games and played less than 60% of the snaps in 2 others.  Overall he played 4 out of 5 snaps in the 15 games he played.  So who is the upgrade who will play 1 in 5 snaps?  Maybe our S&C staff will help him, or maybe his shoulders are suffering the ravages of 11 seasons and he is who he is right now.

Basically your answer to my question seems to be "there's no reason to believe Quessenberry is an improvement to the OL, especially for our Fastball, the passing game".  Quessenberry, Mancz, and Tenuta along with the UDFA are all "treading water", replacements for JAGs we cut (not lost - cut).

That's my answer.

54 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Pretty sure when "King Henry" ran for 75 against us in the Music City, that Quessenberry sealed the left [inside] edge and allowed Henry to break free.

I think he's potentially improvement in the run game.  But we're a passing team.

5 hours ago, McDeerInTheHeadlights said:

This is more like a Beane OL prospect, a great athlete to be molded into a finished player, whereas I think Tenuta was more like a McD guy, you know, the father being a 30-year coach...

Very similar to Ryan Bates RAS:

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.