Reported Bills UDFA signing - 11 signed, 3 Camp Invites *Updated* 09:32 (4 open spots)

MAJBobby

16 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Like I do every year I will keep all the reported signings below. However they tend to come fast and Furious. So if you see one not listed here feel free to say it and tag me with link. Will update the main post. 

as we are in the rounds players are sitting there thinking might be better to go UDFA at this point I figured I would start the thread to be ready to start updating it. 

I know in past I loved UDFA looking for players to still contribute right away. Bills are no longer at that point but get me players with at least ONE elite trait 

RB Raheem Blackshear 

TE Jalen Wydermyer - there is a chance to make the team here  

CB Travon Fuller 

DT Prince Emili

WR Malik Williams

WR Neil Pau’u

IOL Alex Anderson 

Edge Kingsley Jonathan

WR Keith Corbin

75 on Contract (with draft picks)

8 UDFAs reportedly signed 

84 on roster (6 open spots)

Kingsley Jonathan? Always good to have a Lasty Firsty in TC!

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Justyn Ross is not signed yet? Injury plagued, I know, but it's UDFA. Give him a shot. 

If he’s healthy enough to play he’s going to sign somewhere he has a chance to make the team. Also if he’s healthy he is likely juggling offers and not going to sign right away. That’s why the TE signed right away. It’s one of the only positions with a real opportunity. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They signed Saffold and retained Bates. They added a legit TE#2. Brown was ok at times at RT. 

I'm with you on the draft though.  Taking am undersized LB in the third round is criminal. That should have been an OL. 

Uh, they didn't have a 3rd LB on the team; not a "starting" one, anyway.  I'm thinking our "undersized LB" fills am important spot just fine.

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I joked in the Benford thread about teams poaching our practice squad. The UDFA signings are usually fun but we’re kinda just coaching them up for some other teams to grab now which makes it less fun for me anyways 

Its a good "problem " to have. A competent practice squad provides decent competition  in practice to prepare the team for games. It would be great to find diamonds in the rough but its hard to make this roster.

51 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Just look around the AFC at the Chiefs and Bengals.

Chiefs offensive line got blasted in the SB in 2020. What do they do? Go out and spend tons of money to fix it and protect their star.

Bengals offensive line was absolutely awful last season. They go out and spend a boat load on some of the better offensive line FAs available.

What do the Bills do? Add new line coach, sign an aging broken down Saffold, and call it a day.😅 

So you’re saying AFC teams with bad OLs make the Super Bowl with frequently?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I have no doubt they will. And I think the Daryl Williams is still in play to return. 

That would not be a bad idea at all, but I'm guessing the Quessenberry signing is their Guard/T Williams replacement

Quite possibly Williams is still hoping to get closer to the salary he was due to receive from the Bills, or at least Saffold-level pay

54 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Chiefs offensive line got blasted in the SB in 2020. What do they do? Go out and spend tons of money to fix it and protect their star.

Bengals offensive line was absolutely awful last season. They go out and spend a boat load on some of the better offensive line FAs available.

What do the Bills do? Add new line coach, sign an aging broken down Saffold, and call it a day.😅 

It makes me nervous when I find myself agreeing with you, but this is pretty much how I see it.

A counter-point is that the Chiefs had a stronger need for a complete OL rebuild.  In 2020, the Chiefs lost their LT to an Achilles tear, and their center was not All That.    So it made sense for them to invest in LT (trade) and C (draft)

2021 was arguably Morse' best year, and prior to 2021, the Bills appeared to be set at LT (Dawkins) and RT (Williams)

The big difference IMHO was the KC investment in a top FA guard (Thuney) while the Bills did not make that investment last year or this year.  Of course, the Chiefs also invested a late draft pick at a talented G who fell in the draft due to medical concerns.  The Bills invested a mid-round and late pick on OL, but they have made NO comparable investments at IOL.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Who will be the guy we all obsess over being an absolute 100% pro bowler in the rough* this year???

(*only to see him gone at first cut down)

Jalen Wydemeyer, I would guess. I get the Lindy's draft issue every year and the magazine can be way off with rankings of certain positions, but this tight end in this magazine is rated the second best tight end. I don't recall ever seeing a ufda having been this highly ranked by this magazine, not sure if it's a screwups but this magazine says round 1 or two, thoughts????

Ok I reedited this guess he ran a 5.03 at the combine, guessing it's all about that, this magazine has a 4.67 40 not sure how they come up with that since they are obviously in print beforehand. 

Edited by billrooter

47 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

And in the Chiefs case didn’t get back to the Super Bowl😅😂and in the Bengals case easily could have won it last year with their awful line. I think their defense gave up a very long drive at the end of the game though. 😂😅

It's almost like conventional wisdom isn't worth all that much. And KC was lucky to even get back to the AFC title game and Burrow was sacked what - 8 times - in their playoff game against TN?

I do think that changing the O-line coach was a big deal and will pay dividends. I also think that they improved the line by resigning Bates and adding the two TN linemen.  And to top it off the expectation should be that Brown shows significant improvement from last year and Dawkins won't be bogged down with repeated covid infections and should be strong from the get go.

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That would not be a bad idea at all, but I'm guessing the Quessenberry signing is their Guard/T Williams replacement

Quite possibly Williams is still hoping to get closer to the salary he was due to receive from the Bills, or at least Saffold-level pay

He's probably looking for more money, but with no visits that I can see for him, the thought of not making any money might be a motivating factor to take what he can get.  And Quessenberry is likely the swing tackle with an outside shot at starting RT.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

In the Chiefs case it was more injuries that hit them right before the SB causing them to shuffle their offensive line with ***** depth players out of position, and resulted in a ***** show of a performance so a little different situation.

The Bengals offensive line was just awful all year so yea you can obviously overcome it…. But their line again, was blasted in the SB by the Rams. 

Id argue their offensive lines were the reasons those two teams LOST the SB…. And it was the reason the Bills season was almost derailed last year so I’m perplexed why they did very little to improve it unless they felt Bobby Johnson was that bad a coach and personnel was less of an issue but I have a hard time believing that.

Perhaps the Bills decision makers are thinking if they are going to have any flaws anywhere it should be offensively because Allen can mask those deficiencies because he is that good…. Still I hate it because he is the engine of the team.

Dawkins and Morse are good players.  They added Saffold, who came off a Pro Bowl season, to play LG.  They matched an offer sheet for Bates, someone many think helped solidify the OL, to start at RG.  Leaving Brown, a rookie who they expect to improve.  What were you looking for, specifically?

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Our OL didn’t get “blasted” end of last year though.. 

Maybe we’re overrating Kromer’s impact on the OL, but we’ve also seen teams with good OL’s be able to continue so with injuries/turnover, and the one constant is their coaching. 

A big issue last year was our Tackle play was a mess at times.  Dawkins battling covid issues most of the season and Brown being an incredibly raw rookie.  Not a coincidence they got better when Dawkins finally started looking like Dawkins and not some body snatched impersonator. 

From my view, Dawkins and Morse are both very good players.   The other 3 guys we’re kind of hoping on.. Hoping that Bates is for real and Brown makes a second year jump. Also hoping Saffold has one more good year in the tank after an off-season getting healthy.  

Quessenberry, Doyle, Ford & Mancz as healthy depth.. Not awful, but also not great.  

Dorsey’s Offense does look like a lot more easy, quick throws to get YAC which may help the OL look better by default. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

The Bills didn't lose because of their OL. They couldn't get a pass rush on Mahomes causing them to lose.What do they go and do? Sign Von Miller

• Like (+1) 3

Two things…if Alec Anderson can play center he is an interesting piece as a college RT. He has some length and could be an interesting piece to keep on the practice squad. 

Also Jalen Wydermeyer is going to make the team. I think he is competing with Sweeney, but also Gilliam as I am not sure this team keeps a fullback imo. Wydermeyer has a better than good shot. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

The Bills didn't lose because of their OL. They couldn't get a pass rush on Mahomes causing them to lose.What do they go and do? Sign Von Miller

Bills were also down their #1 [man on an island] corner in that game, people kinda forget that.  Wasn't all on the pass rush.  Our two all-pro safeties looked pretty pedestrian on the Hill TD as well. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think it’s pretty obvious that the Bills thought a lot of their Oline struggles were due to Bobby Johnson. 

They fully believe Kromer can make this group a lot better than they were. I would expect another vet Guard/Center to be signed 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Was hoping they’d go for Norwell but he signed with the other ex Carolina coach…. It’s still up for debate whether a 35 YO often injured Saffold is even an upgrade….. was also hoping they’d draft a linemen within the first 3 rounds with some Guard/Tackle flexibility…. Honestly looked like they had a shot at Penning in the first for a little there….. but they’d probably pass on him for CB anyway.

What's so great about Norwell?  He's missed more games than Saffold over the past 6 seasons and hasn't even made a Pro Bowl/All-Pro since 2017.  And after Penning, who is this lineman you wanted?  Just...anyone?  After the 1st round and the Cowboys reached for Smith, the next OT was taken with the 5th pick of the 3rd round.

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Two things…if Alec Anderson can play center he is an interesting piece as a college RT. He has some length and could be an interesting piece to keep on the practice squad. 

Also Jalen Wydermeyer is going to make the team. I think he is competing with Sweeney, but also Gilliam as I am not sure this team keeps a fullback imo. Wydermeyer has a better than good shot. 

Wydermeyer's competing with Morris for 3rd TE.  Sweeney's done.  Gilliam may be as well unless they value him as a FB still.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Bills were also down their #1 [man on an island] corner in that game, people kinda forget that.  Wasn't all on the pass rush.  Our two all-pro safeties looked pretty pedestrian on the Hill TD as well. 

I know Tre wasn't playing only thing they can do for that is wait for him to get healthy

34 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Our OL didn’t get “blasted” end of last year though.. 

What do you mean?  Didn't you see that first TD pass to Knox against the Patriots?  Josh probably had LESS than five minutes in the pocket before he had to throw it away and Knox just happened to grab it.

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

That is not quite true.  The Bills defensive line at times blew up the KC line.  They just couldn’t finish.  They got plenty of pressure - collapsing the pocket, but left openings for Mahomes to escape - hence multiple big runs and sliding out of the pocket and resetting for throws.  I was not impressed with the KC line last year at all.

Later in the game - the Bills were forced to slow the rush down to try and contain Mahomes and that gave him time.

The hope is Miller can finish - where they did not finish last year.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, billrooter said:

Jalen Wydemeyer, I would guess. I get the Lindy's draft issue every year and the magazine can be way off with rankings of certain positions, but this tight end in this magazine is rated the second best tight end. I don't recall ever seeing a ufda having been this highly ranked by this magazine, not sure if it's a screwups but this magazine says round 1 or two, thoughts????

Ok I reedited this guess he ran a 5.03 at the combine, guessing it's all about that, this magazine has a 4.67 40 not sure how they come up with that since they are obviously in print beforehand. 

Yep he's already the one I'm pulling for.

I'm not a college guy and would make a terrible scout because I look at his highlights and think he looks great. Hopefully he can ball out in camp and make the roster over Sweeney 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.