Reported Bills UDFA signing - 11 signed, 3 Camp Invites *Updated* 09:32 (4 open spots)

MAJBobby

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No one can help you if you think the defense was great last year. I understand you may want more weapons on offense, but you can't preface that by thinking the defense was great and didn't need to be addressed. 

Oh I agree.......you can't ACTUALLY be GREAT unless you win a championship.

What the Bills did was finish #1 in the NFL in defense.

You can qualify that all you want.

The offense had the aforementioned issues..........and literally scored only 9 points in a devastating loss to the worst team in the entire f*cking NFL............so THEY definitely weren't GREAT.

The number one offseason priority.........per Brandon Beane...........was to protect Josh Allen.

Then they proceeded to focus on their defense.

The biggest addition offensively was a 35 year old OG who missed 5 games worth of snaps last season...........that they swapped out with a more versatile OL who played 98% of the snaps at an otherwise similar performance level.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

We already have 3 depth Safetys on the team…

How many plays have they actually played? If Poyer sits, which his agent may advise, we are screwed. We need bodies there for competition. 

2 minutes ago, Locomark said:

How many plays have they actually played? If Poyer sits, which his agent may advise, we are screwed. We need bodies there for competition. 

how many years has Jaquan Johnson been in the system? 3?  The staff is very high on Hamlin and Josh Thomas as well.  No late round pick Safety is passing them on the depth chart. 

Personally I see not drafting one as a good indicator that Poyer will be extended 2-3 years. We can certainly make it work and he’s earned it

Edited by Warriorspikes51

39 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So you are predicting another decline in passing yardage for Allen?

If Allen just gets back to his 2020 production.....about 285 yards per game.......then he will throw for 4800+.

Remember.........his numbers last year were tamped down by some pretty bad games........like the 120 yard day against the Falcons.........and some really terrible weather.

I think he puts up Brady/Herbert/Stafford/Mahomes type yardage this year.......if the OL or an injury to Diggs/Davis doesn't sabotage him.

Last season was a relative struggle.

I am a fan on the internet spitballing some numbers like any other fan.

4200 yards or so and 40+ TDs is hardly a slight.

Some things to consider:

I am acknowledging that the OC is gone and a guy who has never been an OC before will be calling plays.

I am acknowledging that there are a number of influential offensive coaches in the room (Kromer and Shula) with him.

There may be too many cooks in the kitchen for a young OC. One is clearly a run first guy.

I am acknowledging that the coaching staff has all but said they want to see more balance.

The OL is not improved at all. Will the OL hold up? I have concerns.

I am acknowledging that this is Davis' first year as a starter. 65/ 800/ 6 is a great line for a lot of WR. This isn't Madden or Fantasy Football

I am acknowledging that Beasley was a security blanket for Allen and he is gone. A lot of fans diminish what Beasley did for this team for stupid political reasons, but he was a security blanket for Allen and was damn good at it. Crowder has the tools to get there, but the rapport is new. I need to see it.

OJ Howard is not half the TE many on this board think he is.

Receiving RB is much better. Will the OC and other coaches utilize it?

All of that said 4200/ 40 passing TDs seems on point. It's not a slight, just making room for the obvious changes on the team in both coaching and personnel.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The defense was great last season.

The offense declined from their great 2020 season..........they lost 3 games in 5 weeks scoring a feeble 9, 15 and 10 points.........and they allowed a horrific 125 combined sacks and pressures and finished last in YAC yardage.     Those struggles put them on the road in the playoffs where they were 0-3 under McDermott.

But they again spent their top assets on defense.........big FA money on a new pass rusher and their top pick on a CB.

So overall, I think I'm pretty firmly on record as believing that overall, Beane's FA and draft resources are skewed towards the D.

In fairness though, a balanced perspective requires acknowledgement that the defense sucked at times last season.  If we're going to acknowledge 3 games where the offense scored 6 (not 9 - that was the victor's point total), 15, and 10 points  - then the other side of the coin is 9 regular season and 2 playoff games where the offense scored 30 or more points (40 or more 4x). 

And we have to acknowledge 3 games where the defense gave up 34 points, 41 points, and 33 points during the regular season, and a fourth giving up 42 points in the playoffs.

Some of those games where the defense gave up so many points (or didn't, but lost anyway) had a common flaw - giving so much respect to the run game that we were susceptible to play action and screen passes.  In general, our D has been able to shut down good passing teams and shut down good running teams - but struggled against teams that showed some abilities to do both, like Tenn and Indy.

So I'm sure that video is being sliced and diced and analyzed and OCs are working overtime on how to exploit that, meaning Something Had to Be Done on Defense.

I'm not disagreeing about the disparity of resources on offense vs defense, but you seem to be implying that the offense was a clear problem while the defense was great, when the more accurate picture is that both had their struggles at different times.

I wish I felt better that we'd done enough on OL to fix them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I said Davis is replacing Sanders as the number 2 and Shakir is taking over Davis’ old spot. Meaning Shakir’s usage is probably going to be similar to what we saw with the Davis the last few years. Apologies if I was unclear. 

Ah got it...that makes sense

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The offense had the aforementioned issues..........and literally scored only 9 points in a devastating loss to the worst team in the entire f*cking NFL............so THEY definitely weren't GREAT.

The number one offseason priority.........per Brandon Beane...........was to protect Josh Allen.

The biggest addition offensively was a 35 year old OG who missed 5 games worth of snaps last season...........that they swapped out with a more versatile OL who played 98% of the snaps at an otherwise similar performance level.

They signed Saffold and retained Bates. They added a legit TE#2. Brown was ok at times at RT. 

I'm with you on the draft though.  Taking am undersized LB in the third round is criminal. That should have been an OL. 

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They signed Saffold and retained Bates. They added a legit TE#2. Brown was ok at times at RT. 

I'm with you on the draft though.  Taking am undersized LB in the third round is criminal. That should have been an OL. 

Maybe. But that undersized LB had 20 tackles and 2 sacks in his team’s bowl game

Edited by Warriorspikes51

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I said Davis is replacing Sanders as the number 2 and Shakir is taking over Davis’ old spot. Meaning Shakir’s usage is probably going to be similar to what we saw with the Davis the last few years. Apologies if I was unclear. 

As for Shakir taking over Davis spot.....I have read a lot of projecting him as a slot at the NFL level.

But the main thing which got Davis onto the field before John Brown was injured and while Sanders was healthy, was that Davis made himself into the best blocker of our WR corps.

Can one say anything aout Shakir as a blocker?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm under-enthused by our lone IOL signing in Alec Anderson from UCLA.  I agree with you that our IOL depth is thin. 

Ford wasn't good enough last season

Boettger may need a year to come back from his Achilles - a study showed 68% RTP recently, but many of those players need a year to return to form

Quessenberry had most of his game experience at RT and wasn't good enough for the Titans to keep him although he's a terrific personal story - he may be here to compete with Spencer Brown

Greg Mancz is IMO is this year's Feliciano, a smart versatile guy who can play all 3 IOL positions but when he had his chance to start, he couldn't lock it down

Question for all: who else is out there as an UDFA or FA?

From what’s come from the Bills, there will be no competing with Spencer Brown.

50 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They needed to replace 2 members of that elite “No 1 defense” … Hughes and Addison… which they managed to do with a future HOF…

Guess they viewed that as the biggest hole at the end of the day….

I think the O is going to work out pretty well in 2022… they were humming at the backend of last year…

I still expect the odd game where the D sucks like what happened against the Colts..hopefully it’s not in the playoffs…(again..)

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It’s called a big nickel and it isn’t criminal to need one when we play NE twice who plays 2-3 TEs, Miami twice, and KC who all require a big nickel. This is a specialty player and may even be a potential hybrid safety. Actually pretty smart if they didn’t feel really great round 3 value was there elsewhere. No need to overdraft. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

They needed to replace 2 members of that elite “No 1 defense” … Hughes and Addison… which they managed to do with a future HOF…

Guess they viewed that as the biggest hole at the end of the day….

I think the O is going to work out pretty well in 2022… they were humming at the backend of last year…

I still expect the odd game where the D sucks like what happened against the Colts..hopefully it’s not in the playoffs…(again..)

I love the Von Miller signing..........but that was only part of their spending spree on defense.

I'm underwhelmed by the relative amount of assets that they've put into addressing the offensive side of the ball...........which had systemic problems that only using Josh Allen like a RB down the stretch really resolved.    That approach is obviously not sustainable.

I like the Von Miller for Hughes/Addison swap A LOT better than old man Saffold for the more reliable/available Daryl Williams.

Seems to me they are putting ENORMOUS trust in Aaron Kromer and Ken Dorsey.    It's almost like they believe the struggles were all due to Daboll.     

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I expect a little decline actually next season offensively… the injury bug will eventually hit and I suspect some growing pains to the new coordinator/offensive adjustments.

Yeah that’s a good point about the new co-ordinator…it is a question mark but given he has been here you would think he doesn’t need to change too much..

The difference to me is that the O seems always in the game thanks to Allen… he makes the players around him better… exhibit A was the second Patriots game when he won the game (comfortably in he end)  passing to McKenzie when Davis and Beasley were out..

I still suspect for all the added investment in the D over the past few years… if anything disappoints us in 2022 it will be that side of the ball..

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.