Round 6 Pick 209 (31): OT Luke Tenuta, Virginia Tech

Hapless Bills Fan

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Lance Zierlein take on NFL. com

Draft Projection: Priority free agent

Overview

Tall tackle with predictable leverage issues, creating difficulties in both run and pass phases. Tenuta is a segmented mover who lacks desired play strength. His issues are made worse by erratic hand placement, but coaching could improve his hands, which would alleviate some of his strength concerns. He won't shine as a drive blocker or move blocker. And his pass-protection issues are more physical in nature, making them harder to correct. He's a potential undrafted free agent and could struggle to compete at the pro level.

Strengths

Started at both tackle positions.

Father is a longtime coach.

Pretty fair athlete getting into space on pulls.

Uses size to wall off linebackers on climbs.

Inside hands will make him stronger in pass protection.

Protection looked better by the end of last season.

Hustles out to meet edge speed with pass sets.

Weaknesses

Disappointing length for his size.

Height creates natural trouble with leverage.

Lacks explosive lift into contact.

Below-average lateral movement.

Upper-body strength and core power are a concern.

Below-average punch and control in pass sets.

Pass slides are heavy and segmented.

Below-average anchor.

Holy mackerel.  

But besides that how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Strengths

Solid positional run blocker who flashes the nasty demeanor and killer instinct scouts covet.

Quick out of his stance with the footwork to be effective in front of screens. Willing to get out in front of ballcarriers to take out defensive backs and linebackers.

Best on the outside because of his height and athleticism, but is capable of blocking on the move.

Adequate foot quickness to remain outside. Can get to the second level with surprising agility when adjusting to moving defenders. Underrated athleticism, agility, balance, and even straight-line speed to contribute.

Has the agility, technique, and size to contribute early in his professional career. Quick, active hands to latch on to defenders.

Weaknesses

High-cut and doesn't bend knees well. Set in pass protection is high, and that affects the power and ability to anchor and causes him to bend at the waist.

Height can be a detriment in short-yardage, defender can get under his pads to hold the line.

Has inconsistent footwork and body positioning and needs to improve his blocking angles.

Loses leverage battles and plays with high pad level. Can be late off the snap.

Flashes the ability to move his man with his hands, but is not yet consistent in this area.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Luke-Tenuta-OL-VirginiaTech

he is an OT/OG prospect. Still need that interior OG/C IMO 

We got the depth now on the Oline! Only injuries can prevent the Bills from winning it all. Clearly, have the best roster in the league with very little holes. Stay healthy and things look fantastic. Can't wait for the season. 

Just now, Rocket94 said:

Gert him coached up! Pro Bowl Bound!

He will. The Bills new Oline coach is excellent! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

We got the depth now on the Oline! Only injuries can prevent the Bills from winning it all. Clearly, have the best roster in the league with very little holes. Stay healthy and things look fantastic. Can't wait for the season. 

He will. The Bills new Oline coach is excellent! 

Kind of kidding...you never know!

Just now, RobbRiddick said:

Apparently the Pats were considering this guy in the first round

They heard Mcvay laughing so they backed out!

15 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I get he is a late rounder, but the negatives on him are overwhelming!  Hope they can coach him up a little. 

Who am I? 

-Poor build
--Skinny 
--Lacks great physical stature and strength
--Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush 
--Lacks a really strong arm
--Can’t drive the ball downfield
--Does not throw a really tight spiral
--System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib
--Gets knocked down easily

Tom Brady's draft profile.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

Kind of kidding...you never know!

Still will be tough because the AFC has improved. However, I believe the Bills have the best QB in the league. The sour taste in their mouths has to linger and the team such be even more hungry. Only injuries can prevent the Bills from dominating. I believe Coach McD has learned from last year's collapse. 

• Like (+1) 1

They already screwed the pooch on another OL from VT. 

From what I read he has short arms and a slow mover with less than ideal upper and core strength. 

Weaknesses

Disappointing length for his size.

Height creates natural trouble with leverage.

Lacks explosive lift into contact.

Below-average lateral movement.

Upper-body strength and core power are a concern.

Below-average punch and control in pass sets.

Pass slides are heavy and segmented.

Below-average anchor.

-NFL Network

Edited by Agent 91

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Still will be tough because the AFC has improved. However, I believe the Bills have the best QB in the league. The sour taste in their mouths has to linger and the team such be even more hungry. Only injuries can prevent the Bills from dominating. I believe Coach McD has learned from last year's collapse. 

They are drafting again for the present and future and to cover for McDermott again.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Man Beane should be fired.  He didn’t draft the top guy on my draft network board i claim to be my own rankings!

Fwiw, solid draft on paper. Filled some needs, got some speed, and both sides of the ball should be improved. I give the Bills a solid B. Nothing spectacular in this draft for the Bills. Think he missed on Bernard but Beane knows more than me. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.