Rd 6, Pick 180 (1): Punter Matt Araiza, San Diego State

DJB

So your argument is that the punt wasn't blocked but it went 27 yards, because it was kinda blocked? When he catches the ball he is stepping up 3 yards before the ball even gets to him. Now watch an NFL punter. Some don't go 3 yards throughout the entire motion. Instead of making excuses for him we need to be realistic that he is a punting newbie with a strong leg and a lot to still work on

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

41 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm sure it's been said somewhere in the 30 pages..........but can't Case Keenum hold?   Seems to me he has done it before in his long run as a backup but perhaps I'm misremembering.

The Araiza pick isn't anything they should go out of their way to make work........ he's just a developmental punter with a powerful leg.............but for holding what's wrong with having an actually offensive player handling the football?

If nothing else it gives the defense reason to have pause about over-pursuing the kick block and ignoring responsibilities and potentially getting jacked on a fake.

I mean train your punter up but I think a QB with a guaranteed roster spot should be ale to be the primary.

I think there may not be reps in practice to train 2 holders.

I believe it used to be in fashion to have the BU QB hold, for just the advantage you mention of needing to defend against the fake.

I know in Dallas, Romo used to be the FG holder.  Then when he was the starting QB, there was an incident where he didn't get the ball set properly, the Cowboys missed a FG and lost in the playoffs.  He never held again.   (This was all on A Football Life)

I think that and similar instances are why backup QB as Holder has gone out of fashion.  It's all great while the backup is warming the bench, but if he plays, then it's an issue both in practice and potentially if he's gassed or shaken up in the game and then needs to go hold.

Since the NFL is cyclical and copycat, perhaps it will come back in fashion.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

So your argument is that the punt wasn't blocked but it went 27 yards, because it was kinda blocked? When he catches the ball he is stepping up 3 yards before the ball even gets to him. Now watch an NFL punter. Some don't go 3 yards throughout the entire motion. Instead of making excuses for him we need to be realistic that he is a punting newbie with a strong leg and a lot to still work on

No, the argument is that it's a 27-yard punt officially and it's caused by a unblocked rusher. Let's get the fact straight and then you can start to argue it's mostly his fault that most NFL punters won't get partially blocked in the same situation, which of course, no one can prove or disprove it since every play is at least slightly different.

Edited by syhuang
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Good read. Seems to be willing to sacrifice distance for hang time, but will still bomb it if they’re pinned deep. I really hope he can hold so we never have to see Haack again.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think there may not be reps in practice to train 2 holders.

I believe it used to be in fashion to have the BU QB hold, for just the advantage you mention of needing to defend against the fake.

I know in Dallas, Romo used to be the FG holder.  Then when he was the starting QB, there was an incident where he didn't get the ball set properly, the Cowboys missed a FG and lost in the playoffs.  He never held again.   (This was all on A Football Life)

I think that and similar instances are why backup QB as Holder has gone out of fashion.  It's all great while the backup is warming the bench, but if he plays, then it's an issue both in practice and potentially if he's gassed or shaken up in the game and then needs to go hold.

Since the NFL is cyclical and copycat, perhaps it will come back in fashion.

I completely agree a QB isn't likely to be the main PK holder. Given the new practice time limits, it doesn't make sense. But if BADO is right, and Case has holding experience, then he would make an ideal emergency holder. I'd expect he'll be active on gameday. 

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

I completely agree a QB isn't likely to be the main PK holder. Given the new practice time limits, it doesn't make sense. But if BADO is right, and Case has holding experience, then he would make an ideal emergency holder. I'd expect he'll be active on gameday. 

Keenum?  He's the backup.  He'll definitely be active on gameday.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Keenum?  He's the backup.  He'll definitely be active on gameday.

Right. Unless he's injured, suspended, etc. But under normal circumstances, he can be expected to be active.

On 5/4/2022 at 6:09 PM, CaliBills said:

Pat McAfee mentioned in his podcast that when he was drafted by the colts. He lied and said he could hold but at West VA, he did the same as Ariza in terms of kicking and punting and never held.

He said he had to learn it but if you are athletic enough it is rather easy to adjust and learn.

I have little concern about the holding, he will work on it all off season to come in and be able to do it from a general standpoint.

Then, working with Bass, they will work to get on the same page about tilt, direction, etc.  

So what you're really saying is at some future date we should expect "The Matt Araiza Show"?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

The Athletic article from Tim Graham on the whole “can he hold?!” thing did a really good job of breaking things down. He spoke with legendary punter guy Brian Moorman who provided some good insight. 

The backup QBs no longer do it because teams don’t wanna remove a QB from offensive reps to go onto the other side of the field and work on holds. Hapless pointed this out earlier. This is the same reason it’s not a “best guy for the job” type thing. Also, it’s a lot more difficult than it looks. Moorman talked about how other players on the team would try it and see it wasn’t so easy. He said when he played he and his teammates had the whole snap to hold thing down in like 1.26 seconds and how you’ve gotta turn the ball as you’re putting it down and making sure it’s in line with how the kicker wants it held. 

It was also mentioned that Araiza has been practicing holds and is said to be doing great with it. A pro kicker who’s name escapes me commented something like, “He’s doing great. I’d trust him.” Myers from Seattle was it? Anywho, so long as he shows consistency with it there’s no reason he shouldn’t win the job. Bojo was also discussed in Graham’s article and he’s bounced around four different teams because he’s so inconsistent as a holder. I think Zierlein from NFL.com put Bojo as the pro comparison for Araiza. They can both boom it and we’ll see how Punt Gord does not only with holds but also directional punting and all that jazz. Good read, check it oot if you can. 

9 hours ago, blacklabel said:

The Athletic article from Tim Graham on the whole “can he hold?!” thing did a really good job of breaking things down. He spoke with legendary punter guy Brian Moorman who provided some good insight. 

The backup QBs no longer do it because teams don’t wanna remove a QB from offensive reps to go onto the other side of the field and work on holds. Hapless pointed this out earlier. This is the same reason it’s not a “best guy for the job” type thing. Also, it’s a lot more difficult than it looks. Moorman talked about how other players on the team would try it and see it wasn’t so easy. He said when he played he and his teammates had the whole snap to hold thing down in like 1.26 seconds and how you’ve gotta turn the ball as you’re putting it down and making sure it’s in line with how the kicker wants it held. 

It was also mentioned that Araiza has been practicing holds and is said to be doing great with it. A pro kicker who’s name escapes me commented something like, “He’s doing great. I’d trust him.” Myers from Seattle was it? Anywho, so long as he shows consistency with it there’s no reason he shouldn’t win the job. Bojo was also discussed in Graham’s article and he’s bounced around four different teams because he’s so inconsistent as a holder. I think Zierlein from NFL.com put Bojo as the pro comparison for Araiza. They can both boom it and we’ll see how Punt Gord does not only with holds but also directional punting and all that jazz. Good read, check it oot if you can. 

I think a bigger "burden" is on the center for field goals.  It is down to a science as to how fast, high, how many rotations to the holder and where the laces are exactly when they hit the holder.  One of the reasons why teams keep a long snapper and why long snappers can stay for so long,  A great long snapper can make the job of a holder so much easier and the continuity between snapper and holder is paramount.

• Like (+1) 1

Imo he is athletic enough to figure out holding.  Has a kicking coach to adjust to the NFL ball and style.  He has a monster leg.  I think he will add hang time.  Control will come with time.  Those games where the offense sputters having a guy who can flip field position will be big.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Imo he is athletic enough to figure out holding.  Has a kicking coach to adjust to the NFL ball and style.  He has a monster leg.  I think he will add hang time.  Control will come with time.  Those games where the offense sputters having a guy who can flip field position will be big.  

Again, I think Araiza figures it out. But I wouldn’t assume holding has all that much to do with being athletic. 

https://theathletic.com/3295131/2022/05/05/bills-punt-god-matt-araiza/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

One of Brian Moorman’s favorite days at Buffalo Bills training camp was when players who assumed they could execute one of football’s most overlooked jobs gathered to give it a whirl.

Quarterbacks, receivers, tight ends, safeties and whoever else thought they could serve in an emergency got behind the long snapper and awaited delivery.

“It was almost comical,” said Moorman, the two-time All-Pro punter. “And these were professional athletes.”

These eager wannabes weren’t trying to punt. They were attempting what’s considered the simplest task but in reality cannot be taken for granted.

Despite taking less than 1.3 seconds to do, holding for field goals and extra points is crucial.

Every year teams move on from punters because of inconsistent holds. Or, as with the Bills last season, they might choose to suffer with a struggling punter because he’s too good at the side job.

“It’s a trade in and of itself,” Moorman said.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Again, I think Araiza figures it out. But I wouldn’t assume holding has all that much to do with being athletic. 

https://theathletic.com/3295131/2022/05/05/bills-punt-god-matt-araiza/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

I mean to be fair I'm not sure how much stock I'd put into anyone having a lot of trouble with it trying it for the first time a handful of times.

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Punt God is the worst nickname I’ve ever heard. It’s absolutely terrible.

How about Das Boot?

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

The x-factor to me is if his college-style low Cruise missile kicks can rip through during the crazy wind games at OP. It’s the analogue of Allen’s arm. Low hang time but just pounded on a spiral. Does the returner get a chance to field it? sure, but under those conditions you WANT them to try to catch it.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.