Rd 6, Pick 180 (1): Punter Matt Araiza, San Diego State

DJB

53 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

At first I rolled my eyes with this pick but if he ends up being a stud punter and fixing a problem that has plagued this team in recent years than it will probably be perceived as a steal down the road.

If anything was actually surprised he wasn't the first punter drafted and Baltimore chose the PSU kid instead earlier.

I rolled my eyes when the first punter went in the 4th round at pick #130 (using the pick the Bills traded to the Ravens).  The Bills got Araiza over a round later.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

So Araiza will kick FGs if Bass is injured, but Bass while injured will hold?

Good point.  I wasn't looking at it like Bass was injured.  In that case, they re-sign Haack.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Having a legit backup FG and kickoff kicker is a nice luxury. 

It’s mitigated by the different footed-ness of the kickers, unless someone is on the roster who can adequately hold for the lefty. It’s an emergency thing but probably won’t be a big consideration post-covid.

57 minutes ago, Doc said:

I rolled my eyes when the first punter went in the 4th round at pick #130 (using the pick the Bills traded to the Ravens).  The Bills got Araiza over a round later.

TWO Punters were selected in front of Matt. And for what it's worth, Kiper had them ranked in the order they were picked.

• Like (+1) 1

Man... the days of Moorman really had a lasting effect on us TSW Bills Fans... 27 pages for a 6th round punter and only 28 pages for our 2nd round RB selection. Can't wait til the first time Araiza lays someone out in punt coverage - this place is going to implode. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Conlan58 said:

Man... the days of Moorman really had a lasting effect on us TSW Bills Fans... 27 pages for a 6th round punter and only 28 pages for our 2nd round RB selection. Can't wait til the first time Araiza lays someone out in punt coverage - this place is going to implode. 

Yeah but 61 for Elam and 36 for Bernard.

16 hours ago, The Dean said:

TWO Punters were selected in front of Matt. And for what it's worth, Kiper had them ranked in the order they were picked.

The other 2 punters have experience being holders for their field goal kickers. Matt has no experience holding. I think that is the reason he wasn't drafted earlier. It's a pretty big deal if he isn't a solid holder. Hopefully, he can do it well. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The other 2 punters have experience being holders for their field goal kickers. Matt has no experience holding. I think that is the reason he wasn't drafted earlier. It's a pretty big deal if he isn't a solid holder. Hopefully, he can do it well. 

It also has to do with hang time and the ability to consistently place the ball inside the 10. 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2022/05/03/2022-nfl-draft-bills-punter-matt-araiza-motivated-after-slide/

With that said, I think the Bills picked a winner here. I love that he likes to hit. I hope he doesn't have to do it much in the NFL but love the mindset. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The others had better hangtime too

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, The Dean said:

It also has to do with hang time and the ability to consistently place the ball inside the 10. 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2022/05/03/2022-nfl-draft-bills-punter-matt-araiza-motivated-after-slide/

With that said, I think the Bills picked a winner here. I love that he likes to hit. I hope he doesn't have to do it much in the NFL but love the mindset. 

I think the Bills probably had Araiza no higher than 2nd on their Punter Big Board.  (Which I'll assume is an actual physical board at 1BD until proven otherwise.)  The guy the Ravens drafted has almost as big of a leg as Araiza, but looks to be much better at hangtime and directional kicking.  Fair enough.  But there's two plusses for Araiza from my perspective:

1.) By the time we get to midfield, we should be going for it on 4th down anyway.  So having a punter who's a little shaky at the coffin corner will only encourage McDermott to trust the offense.  This is a good thing.

2.) As The Dean mentioned, he likes to hit!  I don't think him making tackles is particularly going to help our punt coverage, but our team thrives on emotion.  Araiza making a big hit on a punt (or kickoff) could be the type of thing that gets the defense fired up, and they usually play better when they're fired up.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cash said:

I think the Bills probably had Araiza no higher than 2nd on their Punter Big Board.  (Which I'll assume is an actual physical board at 1BD until proven otherwise.)  The guy the Ravens drafted has almost as big of a leg as Araiza, but looks to be much better at hangtime and directional kicking.  Fair enough.  But there's two plusses for Araiza from my perspective:

1.) By the time we get to midfield, we should be going for it on 4th down anyway.  So having a punter who's a little shaky at the coffin corner will only encourage McDermott to trust the offense.  This is a good thing.

2.) As The Dean mentioned, he likes to hit!  I don't think him making tackles is particularly going to help our punt coverage, but our team thrives on emotion.  Araiza making a big hit on a punt (or kickoff) could be the type of thing that gets the defense fired up, and they usually play better when they're fired up.

On point, #2, yes, the Bills are PROBABLY going for it, depending on down, distance, score and other possible variables.  4th and 25, after a couple penalties?  Dunno about you, but I'm punting.  And obviously you want a punter that can place the ball inside the 10 or 15, at least.  I know that is an extreme example, but there are situations where punting at midfield makes sense, no matter how much confidence you have in your offense. And I think Araiza will be fine, as he begins to work on that. 

So I agree this probably won't change McDermott's strategy much, but I also don't think having a punter that excels in placing it in the "coffin corner" would impact the decision making much, either. 

San Diego weather from Labor Day on is a LOT different than Buffalo weather.

All his games last year were in relatively warm air and a couple of them at altitude [Air Force, Arizona] where we know the ball goes farther.

His home games were played at 50 feet above sea level, but again in warm weather.

Wonder how he'll do in conditions similar to the first 2021 NE game at the OP, freezing with gusts off the lake.

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

I really like the pick too. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.