Rd 6, Pick 180 (1): Punter Matt Araiza, San Diego State

DJB

Just wondering, does Araiza's lack of holding actually make it easier for him to learn now and become a good holder.  It seems every kicker likes the ball to be placed and held  a certain way and Bass is probably no exception.  Araiza can now learn from the start how Bass wants it held without having to re-learn or change any bad habits.  Just a thought.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DJB said:

How has he not been inducted into the Bills Wall of fame yet? 

They're waiting for the new stadium so they can save money on the letters.  No need to put them up in a stadium that will be torn down.  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, die hard bills fan said:

Just wondering, does Araiza's lack of holding actually make it easier for him to learn now and become a good holder.  It seems every kicker likes the ball to be placed and held  a certain way and Bass is probably no exception.  Araiza can now learn from the start how Bass wants it held without having to re-learn or change any bad habits.  Just a thought.

People here act like Araiza was horrible at holding and can't learn.

The fact is that no one has seen him try, and he has the entire summer to get it right.

The only thing I would add to his training would be to dunk the balls in water before the snap.

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'll say it again, but I can't recall a single punter before (or after for that matter) Bojo who had a problem holding for FGs or EPs. 

It happened with the Chargers Drew Kaser. He averaged like 48 on punts and got cut because he could not hold. He is out of the league. But generally it is never an issue. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

People here act like Araiza was horrible at holding and can't learn.

Who do you see saying, or even implying, that?  I couldn't find one post that concluded he couldn't learn. And since he has never held before, I can't even imagine anyone saying he is horrible at it.

You are making this up. 

The questions have been "what if?", which are perfectly acceptable questions that carry no judgement whatsoever. It's possible, not likely, but possible, he doesn't get it down in time. Biils fans know it's possible since we have experienced it relatively recently. So we are discussing it. That's ALL I see.

5 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Who do you see saying, or even implying, that?  I couldn't find one post that concluded he couldn't learn. And since he has never held before, I can't even imagine anyone saying he is horrible at it.

You are making this up. 

The questions have been "what if?", which are perfectly acceptable questions that carry no judgement whatsoever. It's possible, not likely, but possible, he doesn't get it down in time. Biils fans know it's possible since we have experienced it relatively recently. So we are discussing it. That's ALL I see.

THere are 25 pages worth of people saying he can't hold a FG.

Not that it's a "possibility", only that he can't.

Don't act like people are saying "maybe".

The fact is that there is video showing him holding for a FG, but posters still insist he can't.  It's not being discussed, it's being posted like a proven fact.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, The Dean said:

You are making this up. 

I’ll be happy to post one if it might create some controversy and help get this thread about the 6th round punter past 100 pages! How long was the Mario Williams thread? We should just shoot for the record! 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

They're waiting for the new stadium so they can save money on the letters.  No need to put them up in a stadium that will be torn down.  

It’s only 7 letters 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/1/2022 at 5:03 PM, John from Riverside said:

San Diego state will always be a thing for me.  My son had scholarship to go play for them before his injury.   Will def be rooting for Matt

When I was in high school I had a SD Aztecs t-shirt I got from Champion that was my favorite shirt because it was so random - I wore it all the time.  And then they drafted Matt Kofler my senior year (RIP) - who ended up marrying a girl from my class!

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

The fact is that there is video showing him holding for a FG, but posters still insist he can't.  It's not being discussed, it's being posted like a proven fact.

They hate us coz they ain't us.

3 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

It's like some seem to believe he will never be able to grasp such a thing. Like it's some type of brain ***** that's nearly impossible to do. It's something fairly easy to get good at doing in a short period of time.

Not sure why some are making it more than it is

At first I rolled my eyes with this pick but if he ends up being a stud punter and fixing a problem that has plagued this team in recent years than it will probably be perceived as a steal down the road.

If anything was actually surprised he wasn't the first punter drafted and Baltimore chose the PSU kid instead earlier.

Edited by FilthyBeast

39 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Please show me the posts where it says he CAN'T learn to hold and/or is or will be TERRIBLE.  You say there are 25 pages of it, and I haven't read a single one. Now I haven't read every post in this thread, so maybe I missed one or two.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.