Rd 6, Pick 180 (1): Punter Matt Araiza, San Diego State

DJB

19 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

BU = Backup

That's why they are BACKUPS. They don't get to practice all day, every day, with the LS and the PK. Count on this, if Arazia can't learn to hold to a satisfactory degree, they will use another PS player, or he will be gone. You don't mess with the FG game on this team. IMO of course

Think about this, as bad as Bojo was at holding, he was always the holder. NEVER the backup QB, for the Bills. 

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

That's why they are BACKUPS. They don't get to practice all day, every day, with the LS and the PK. Count on this, if Arazia can't learn to hold to a satisfactory degree, they will use another PS player, or he will be gone. You don't mess with the FG game on this team. IMO of course

Think about this, as bad as Bojo was at holding, he was always the holder. NEVER the backup QB, for the Bills. 

Haack is gone. Arazia will make the team. 

he either holds or he doesn’t. Just that easy. 

8 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

This pick is questionable. Look at the schools he went up against: Hawaii, Air Force? No Big 12 or SEC competition. Not promising. 

OTH... As a punter, your punts are mostly against the field, more so than the other teams players.

I'm thinking SIXTH round is a real value here.

If this dude gets cut before the start of the year I can't wait to see this place lol...

I thought people suggesting a mid round pick for a punter on a team like this were just silly.  But end of draft,  6th round, sign me up. Excellent pick. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Haack is gone. Arazia will make the team. 

he either holds or he doesn’t. Just that easy. 

I'd be shocked if he didn't make the team. But don't expect a QB to be holding for this team.  

And remember, there are more available punters than Haack and Arazia. Just saying.

And the Bills have already ditched a better punter than they kept. One of the reasons was likely his inability to be consistent with his holds. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, syhuang said:

to be fair, the first one was a partial block and the ball still travelled 27 yards (forward)

Haack had several of his punts against the Jets partially blocked by nitrogen molecules.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Haack had several of his punts against the Jets partially blocked by nitrogen molecules.

I've never heard boos at the stadium as loud as when he shanked his third punt. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

No, this pick was for the training camp crowds.

I remember the “ooooooh” and “ahhhh” when Brian Moorman would do punt drills.

You just got me excited for camp.  Missed it (being in Rochester) the past 2 years.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I'd be shocked if he didn't make the team. But don't expect a QB to be holding for this team.  

And remember, there are more available punters than Haack and Arazia. Just saying.

And the Bills have already ditched a better punter than they kept. One of the reasons was likely his inability to be consistent with his holds. 

Agree. A bunch of people on here have been “disagreeing” with my statements that Araiza is going to have to be a good holder to win the job. 

I don’t understand what is so controversial about that. As you said, they let Bojo walk for a worse punter/better holder. Then GB just did the same thing with Bojo.

I am hoping Araiza is fine as a holder, and this won’t be an issue. But he is going to have to do it, and not mess Bass up, or else he won’t be making the team. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agree. A bunch of people on here have been “disagreeing” with my statements that Araiza is going to have to be a good holder to win the job. 

I don’t understand what is so controversial about that. As you said, they let Bojo walk for a worse punter/better holder. Then GB just did the same thing with Bojo.

I am hoping Araiza is fine as a holder, and this won’t be an issue. But he is going to have to do it, and not mess Bass up, or else he won’t be making the team. 

I’m sure he’s been working on it, but Haack will need to flat out beat him for Matty Punt to not make this roster.

10 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I agree, for the most part. But I won't go so far as to say he'll be cut if he isn't a good holder. For one reason, they kept Bojo for a time despite the fact he wasn't good at holding. And he was inconsistent as a punter. Eventually he was let go. So, perhaps unless he totally sucks, I'm guessing the new Matt gets the job. Both jobs, I should say.

But what if he is horrendous at it?  I do not expect this. He seems very eager to learn and excel. This is just a little thought exercise. What would they do?

I'm thinking, if he really shows his stuff punting this offseason, he's making the team. So maybe they get creative with the holder. I doubt it. But if they do, I highly doubt it will be a QB. And if if he can't figure it out, and isn't killing it with the punting, then what?

Edited by The Dean

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.