Jump to content

Rd 6 pick 185 (6): CB Christian Benford, Villanova


YoloinOhio
 Share

Recommended Posts

Villanova has had a number of players in NFL since 1930s; maybe earlier since there were players from there in 1920s.

 

Villanova Players/Alumni

Players: 87 pro players

Drafted: 86 players

Top AV: Howie Long (95)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/villanova/index.htm

 

5 players were picked by AFL.  Al Atkinson was drafted by Bills in 3rd, attempted to remade into LB (Bills had no LB Coach) and then waived before season started.  He was picked up by JEST.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/where-are-they-now-al-atkinson

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

I could see Benford replacing Jones, and Bernard replacing Matakevich. Big cap savings for next year.

 

Bernard is not replacing Matakevich.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Villanova has had a number of players in NFL since 1930s; maybe earlier since there were players from there in 1920s.

 

Villanova Players/Alumni

Players: 87 pro players

Drafted: 86 players

Top AV: Howie Long (95)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/villanova/index.htm

 

5 players were picked by AFL.  Al Atkinson was drafted by Bills in 3rd, attempted to remade into LB (Bills had no LB Coach) and then waived before season started.  He was picked up by JEST.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/where-are-they-now-al-atkinson

 

Bernard is not replacing Matakevich.

 

Bernard is probably not displacing Milano or Edmunds this year. Where do you play him and get value?

Answer = Special Teams

 

Matakevich: 6'1" 235, 4.81 40, 4.5 20 yd shuttle, NFL.com grade 5.8, 10 TAK, 1 INT,

Bernard: 6'1" 224, 4.59 40 (P), 4.25 20 yd shuttle, NFL.com grade 5.94

 

Cutting Matakevich after June 1st is a $2.5 Million savings against the cap they can roll over to next year.

Matakevich is 29, Bernard is 22.

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Likely transition to safety as alternative to Poyer and Hyde.  

This fellow appears to my untrained eye to be more athletic and stronger than Damir.    

Maybe I am wrong, but that is how it looks. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:


wow— for real? I had no idea. I sort of lumped Villanova in with UConn— elite bball school, but sort of non-existent or start-up football program.

Brian Westbrook went there too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Villanova has had a number of players in NFL since 1930s; maybe earlier since there were players from there in 1920s.

 

Villanova Players/Alumni

Players: 87 pro players

Drafted: 86 players

Top AV: Howie Long (95)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/villanova/index.htm

 

5 players were picked by AFL.  Al Atkinson was drafted by Bills in 3rd, attempted to remade into LB (Bills had no LB Coach) and then waived before season started.  He was picked up by JEST.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/where-are-they-now-al-atkinson

 

Bernard is not replacing Matakevich.

Right. He's replacing AJ Klein

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Villanova has had a number of players in NFL since 1930s; maybe earlier since there were players from there in 1920s.

 

Villanova Players/Alumni

Players: 87 pro players

Drafted: 86 players

Top AV: Howie Long (95)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/villanova/index.htm

 

5 players were picked by AFL.  Al Atkinson was drafted by Bills in 3rd, attempted to remade into LB (Bills had no LB Coach) and then waived before season started.  He was picked up by JEST.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/where-are-they-now-al-atkinson

 

Bernard is not replacing Matakevich.

Maybe he replaces you, just kidding... but I like his skill set

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Who? 6th round pick with 7th value.👀

The best thing about the draft being over is screen names like yours will melt away

14 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Did not realize Villanova had a football team! 

Yep they have uniforms and everything

14 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

We like our slow corners

 

 

Yep....that is why Elam is such a surprise you know?

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

Since he’s not a big name, maybe we can stash him on the practice squad without him getting sniped? unlike everyone else we draft that doesn’t make the team. 

 It’s impossible to “hide” a McDermott developmental DB. That’s the first place you look for a cheap serviceable DB now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Big Turk said:

 

Wasn't aware Elam at 4.39 was slow...he is faster than Tre.

 

Also since one tenth of a second is approximately 2 inches difference in a 40 yard dash, perhaps they feel his height and long arms make up that difference?

Basic arithmetic indicates that 0.1 sec is about 1 yd in a 40

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Basic arithmetic indicates that 0.1 sec is about 1 yd in a 40

 

How often does a player run 40 yards?  The DB is also ahead of the WR at the start so he would have to make up that distance.  In the NFL it's considered roughly 2 inches when you factor in arm length, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

 

How often does a player run 40 yards?  The DB is also ahead of the WR at the start so he would have to make up that distance.  In the NFL it's considered roughly 2 inches when you factor in arm length, etc.

Bored Blah Blah Blah GIF
 

sorry dude, you have no idea what you’re talking about. 
 

A tenth of a sec in the 40 is worth 2 inches?  Where does that math come from. Got any links?

 

Didnt think so. 

  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something pretty interesting about Benford is that he's a couple weeks younger than both Ahmad Gardner and Trent McDuffie. However, he played 4 season of college ball to their 3. In other words, while those guys were seniors in highschool, Benford was playing college football as a true freshman.  He had 4 interceptions that year, while being one of the youngest players in the country. 

 

He's still only 21.  There is a lot of potential to work with.  Let's see how the Bills continue to develop him.

  • Like (+1) 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Bored Blah Blah Blah GIF
 

sorry dude, you have no idea what you’re talking about. 
 

A tenth of a sec in the 40 is worth 2 inches?  Where does that math come from. Got any links?

 

Didnt think so. 

 

nice t!t$

 

  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Benford’s numbers are very similar to Micah Hyde’s coming out. But I think you see what he can do corner wise before you move him to safety, but this guy seems like a very interesting player. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Benford’s numbers are very similar to Micah Hyde’s coming out. But I think you see what he can do corner wise before you move him to safety, but this guy seems like a very interesting player. 


Beane said in his presser that the plan is to start him with the corners, since it is always easier to transition over to safety. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

"My favorite pick of the draft!", said somebody about somebody who I didn't even know about before. 

 

🤣

 

Or the equally popular, "I've never heard of him. Reach!" 

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Simon unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...