Rd 5, Pick 148 (5): WR Khalil Shakir, Boise St

YoloinOhio

On 5/2/2022 at 8:29 PM, Charles Romes said:

Seems a little Sillsian 

21 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Whether he's Italian or not doesn't really matter if he does have the short range burst. 

11 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Totally disagree that McKenzie is the guy on the bubble, though. That's weird. 

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Mckenzie was allowed to test the market and came back 2 years in a row on below market deals.  The league has said how it feels about Mckenzie.  Buffalo to an extent has shown how it values Mckenzie.

McKenzie is kind of like this year's Levi Wallace... the Bills like him to a certain price point and McKenzie would prefer to stay than to leave. Barring unforeseen circumstances he'll be here for one more year.

3 hours ago, Cash said:

I wouldn’t bet on Crowder being cut at even money, but I would think about it at 10:1. 

Usually when the Bills recruit and sign a veteran free agent they treat that person with respect. It often seems the team wants to do well by the veterans. I expect Crowder will be a Bill for at least this year. I feel like they wouldn't have signed him just to cut him. That said I have a hard time seeing both Zack Moss and Duke Johnson making the team and that's a similar situation so who knows?

2 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Usually when the Bills recruit and sign a veteran free agent they treat that person with respect. It often seems the team wants to do well by the veterans. I expect Crowder will be a Bill for at least this year. I feel like they wouldn't have signed him just to cut him. That said I have a hard time seeing both Zack Moss and Duke Johnson making the team and that's a similar situation so who knows?

I would say Crowder and Duke Johnson is a much different situation, Crowder is actually a very solid player and we got him for an insanely good deal, he would need to have an awful camp to get cut. Duke was unsigned for most of last year and was likely just an insurance policy if we didn't get James Cook in the draft, so I think he's an easy cut if they want to keep Moss as the RB3.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

McKenzie is kind of like this year's Levi Wallace... the Bills like him to a certain price point and McKenzie would prefer to stay than to leave. Barring unforeseen circumstances he'll be here for one more year.

I understand the premise.  I think Mckenzie is facing a larger numbers game than Wallace.  Crowder is the slot. Shakir might be the best slot in the draft.  They drafted Stevenson last year.  Stevenson and Shakir will fight for return jobs with him.  Cook imo will get a large portion of the manufactured touches.  I like Mckenzie as a player.  I think the team likes him.  I question his role on the team moving forward.  I think he is insurance, but if a younger guy or 2 step up he could be left out. 

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Crowder is one of their top-3 WRs and won't be going anywhere, unless he looks to have lost a step.  Until that's the case, he's not going anywhere.

What are you basing that on?  I'm not aware of any public statements by the Bills that would suggest that, but there's plenty I'm not aware of.  FWIW, Crowder is on a 1 year deal worth just under $2 million total, with a $750k signing bonus.  That doesn't exactly scream "roster lock" to me.

Side note:  You realize you're technically agreeing with me, right?  We both think Crowder will make the team unless he's lost a step.

46 minutes ago, Cash said:

What are you basing that on?  I'm not aware of any public statements by the Bills that would suggest that, but there's plenty I'm not aware of.  FWIW, Crowder is on a 1 year deal worth just under $2 million total, with a $750k signing bonus.  That doesn't exactly scream "roster lock" to me.

Side note:  You realize you're technically agreeing with me, right?  We both think Crowder will make the team unless he's lost a step.

Who is ahead of him?  McK who they've let test the market the past few years?  Touchdown Jesus who they've released several times?  Hodgins, who has a grand total of 4 offensive snaps in his first 2 years in the NFL?  Stevenson?  Gentry?

Edited by Doc
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Doc said:

Who is ahead of him?  McK who they've let test the market the past few years?  Touchdown Jesus who they've released several times?  Hodgins, who has a grand total of 4 offensive snaps in his first 2 years in the NFL?  Stevenson?  Gentry?

Why do I need to prove that someone’s ahead of Crowder? You seemed certain that Crowder was top-3, and I asked where that came from. Apparently nowhere?

And FWIW, McKenzie is on a 2 year deal, which astute observers will note is 1 year longer than Crowder’s. That’s not much to be sure, but I don’t see why we should consider Crowder a top 3 lock before training camp even starts. 

14 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Your first point is interesting in that because of program status, there are college WR1s who fly under the radar every year. We get all turned around by the testing talents of 2nd and 3rd WRs from Alabama when there are these WR1s from lesser programs who produce and test reasonably well but just get undervalued. Gabriel Davis was a stud for UCF, and Khalil Shakir was a stud for BSU. There is great potential in them if they are committed to their crafts (and they escape injury). 

Totally disagree that McKenzie is the guy on the bubble, though. That's weird. 

Not saying it will happen but it just seems like his skill set is overly redundant especially with adding Shakir as a 5th round pick who is pretty much a lock to make the team based on that alone. And after being benched last year, and then with Daboll out the door seemed like a foregone conclusion that McKenzie was long gone from Buffalo.

In the end though McKenzie always finds a way to stick around on this roster like Wallace did on the defensive side until this year.

1 hour ago, Cash said:

Why do I need to prove that someone’s ahead of Crowder? You seemed certain that Crowder was top-3, and I asked where that came from. Apparently nowhere?

And FWIW, McKenzie is on a 2 year deal, which astute observers will note is 1 year longer than Crowder’s. That’s not much to be sure, but I don’t see why we should consider Crowder a top 3 lock before training camp even starts. 

Crowder is far more accomplished than any WR on the team besides Diggs.  That's where it came from. 

As for McKenzie getting 2 years, Crowder likely asked for just a 1-year deal, to showcase himself.

• Agree 1

I hope the hype pans out. Im just not as high on shakir based on the tape or the numbers. He makes some good catches but doesn’t seem to get great separation and is playing low level competition. He just looks like a good college wr that gets lots of targets. I also don’t see the he is a guy you can hand the ball too, Deebo comparisons. Prove me wrong. 

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

I hope the hype pans out. Im just not as high on shakir based on the tape or the numbers. He makes some good catches but doesn’t seem to get great separation and is playing low level competition. He just looks like a good college wr that gets lots of targets. I also don’t see the he is a guy you can hand the ball too, Deebo comparisons. Prove me wrong. 

Yeah some of his stuff looks a bit like Zay Jones film with 100 swing screens etc. I think what separates him is his work on contested catches. But he could be a very interesting fit. 

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

I didn't realize Shakir had a list of injuries this long. Maybe that's why he slid to day 3?

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/5/4/23053030/2022-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-wr-khalil-shakir-injury-analysis

From the same article:

"Shakir appeared in 43 games over his career, missing only three games due to a knee injury during his freshman season."

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

From the same article:

"Shakir appeared in 43 games over his career, missing only three games due to a knee injury during his freshman season."

Yeah, he's gritty and toughs things out it seems. I just hadn't heard about all of the injuries. The timing of them helped him in a couple of instances. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

Yeah, he's gritty and toughs things out it seems. I just hadn't heard about all of the injuries. The timing of them helped him in a couple of instances. 

True.

There's worse times to get injured than in the last game of the season.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.