Rd 5, Pick 148 (5): WR Khalil Shakir, Boise St

YoloinOhio

One other thing that stuck out when watching all these videos of Shakir is that for his size he is a monster at catching contested balls.  He seems to really have the ability to concentrate and display strong hands in these situations.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

FWIW

"You know you're light-skinned so they're going to think you're soft." :lol:

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I watched a lot of Khalil shakir last night and I know who he reminds me of. Robert Woods. 

edit: I see I’m not the first one to say this!

A faster version.

• Like (+1) 1

The more I read, the more I watch the more I love this pick. 

I may be a little biased (well maybe a lot.😁), but I don't see him taking Lil' Dirty's spot.

I can see him taking Stevenson's though. With Stevenson going to the PS and Shakir taking more of a full time role in 23' when Crowder leaves. Start this year K/PR duties along with some WR reps and more as the season rolls on.

I also get the Woods vibe when I watch him (yes, with some more speed).😉

• Like (+1) 2

Regardless of how he works out at WR in the long run, for now I'm just glad to see that the Bills may have found a capable punt/kick returner this season.

It might even help McKenzie by allowing him to spend less time mangling Specials and more time working as a WR.

• Like (+1) 6

Scout quotes per long-time Packers and NFL beat writer, Bob McGinn:

AFC scout: “This is a really good player (but) he’s got 29-inch arms. Most people thought he’d run 4.55. He plays in the slot. He’s an A-plus competitor. They love him at the school, and they don’t like much of anything there. He’s just a steady eddie. You know exactly what you’re going to get. Then he runs 4.4. There’s a chance he goes second round but I think he’s the classic third-round No. 3 receiver. Quarterbacks will absolutely love him because you can count on him being where you want him to be. He knows how to play football.”

NFC scout: “Like him. Third round. He’s quick and sneaky fast. He’s dependable. He’s got really good hands. He’s a really good route runner.”

AFC scout: “He certainly does not play to his speed. Free agent. The 4.4 really shocked me. I didn’t see him making explosive plays. Problem with a guy like that, there’s so many that size.”

NFC scout: “I didn’t see much in this guy. He’s just average. Average speed, average skills, just average at everything. Just one of those dime-a-dozen kind of receivers. For me, he’s a late-round guy.”

AFC scout: “Loves the game. One of the best leaders on the team. Brings energy to the room … An athletic receiver with good suddenness in the open field. Is able to make defenders miss in space. Smooth, deliberate route runner who doesn’t waste much movement but can be slow in and out of his breaks against man coverage.”

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, junior said:

AFC scout: “This is a really good player (but) he’s got 29-inch arms. Most people thought he’d run 4.55. He plays in the slot. He’s an A-plus competitor. They love him at the school, and they don’t like much of anything there. He’s just a steady eddie. You know exactly what you’re going to get. Then he runs 4.4. There’s a chance he goes second round but I think he’s the classic third-round No. 3 receiver. Quarterbacks will absolutely love him because you can count on him being where you want him to be. He knows how to play football.”

NFC scout: “Like him. Third round. He’s quick and sneaky fast. He’s dependable. He’s got really good hands. He’s a really good route runner.”

AFC scout: “He certainly does not play to his speed. Free agent. The 4.4 really shocked me. I didn’t see him making explosive plays. Problem with a guy like that, there’s so many that size.”

NFC scout: “I didn’t see much in this guy. He’s just average. Average speed, average skills, just average at everything. Just one of those dime-a-dozen kind of receivers. For me, he’s a late-round guy.”

AFC scout: “Loves the game. One of the best leaders on the team. Brings energy to the room … An athletic receiver with good suddenness in the open field. Is able to make defenders miss in space. Smooth, deliberate route runner who doesn’t waste much movement but can be slow in and out of his breaks against man coverage.”

Good write up, except for that random NFC scout!

13 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Depends: Does he want 100 targets and more $  or 60-70 targets with a great shot at a ring

That's what I'm saying.  Does Landry seem like that kind of guy?  He doesn't to me. 

11 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Someone probably posted this already but just in case. Absolute filth. It may be where he ends up playing the most but he’s more than just a slot guy.

The one-hand grab is impressive. But the footwork to stay in bounds, bending his right leg in, is bananas!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, junior said:

There are some scouts in those comments that are just collecting a paycheck and need to be fired

From the clips of him I have seen, he doesn’t seem to play at 4.4 speed. I think he can still be a functional receiver though. He has the ability to make amazing catches in traffic. He does seem like a Robert Woods type player. I just wouldn’t highlight speed as a main trait of his. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Magox said:

One other thing that stuck out when watching all these videos of Shakir is that for his size he is a monster at catching contested balls.  He seems to really have the ability to concentrate and display strong hands in these situations.

Seems to have good acceleration.  

Like how he concentrates and tracks the ball on the longer passes.  Seems fluid.  Good hands from what I’ve watched of him.  Then again, they don’t post the bad stuff on YouTube, etc.  

Either way, like this kid and believe he will be a great fit in our offense before the end of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Someone probably posted this already but just in case. Absolute filth. It may be where he ends up playing the most but he’s more than just a slot guy.

Wow that's a highlight.  Haven't seen a catch like that since Beasley's leaping 1-handed sideline haul in the 2020 AZ game we lost on the Hxxx Mxxxxx

Love this pick. His 3-Cone was dissappointing so I wonder if he can shake free of NFL CB's. The hands and leaping ability are elite. Decent speed too. He was successful in the slot so maybe that 3-Cone time (7.28 sec.) was a fluke. His 1st vertical was 34.5. He then jumped to 38.5. That's some serious air for a 6'0" guy. If he can be a decent route runner, he could have a very high ceiling. I also expect Davis to flourish with more snaps.

Based on value, this is my favorite pick from the weekend. Second, based on abysmal performance last year and value again, Araiza. 

People often forget that Diggs was a 5th Round pick and just assume great WRs are taken in the first round when so often, that's just not the case. Antonio Brown, head-case issues aside, was a 6th Round pick. Great value and future production can, and often is, be found in the mid to late portions of the Draft. I have a feeling, like Gabe Davis in the 4th, this will be a fan favorite pick in three years. 

• Like (+1) 1

His write up on NFL.com is something else: 

A coach's dream, combining competitive nature, exciting versatility and elite character on and off the field. For a short-armed player with average explosiveness, Shakir puts an emphatic stamp on games. He's more football player than prototypical slot receiver and needs to prove he can handle an increase in contested catches. He can be activated from a variety of alignments with the vision, wiggle and toughness to move the chains once the ball is in his hands. He finds a way to frequently show up on the notepad when watching tape and his will to outperform the guy across from him should not be overlooked. Shakir should become a valuable piece for a creative play-caller.

Impressive stuff. 

• Like (+1) 7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.