Rd 5, Pick 148 (5): WR Khalil Shakir, Boise St

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Logic said:

My Lindy's Draft guide magazine is incredibly complementary of him. I'll transcribe his scouting report:

Strengths: Highly versatile and lined up at flanker, inside at slot, and in the backfield. Impressive initial quickness at the line of scrimmage to gain freedom from press coverage, coordinating light feet with active, surprisingly strong hands to sway away dfeenders. Good agility and acceleration as a route runner, shaking defenders to consistently create separation. Keeps working as the play progresses. Quality receiver in the improvisational game, adjusting on the fly and coming back to the ball. Can catch with his body instead of hands but shows toughness after the catch. Willing to lower his shoulder and use leg drive to finish plays. Good vision and courage in traffic. Experience returning punts and kickoffs.

Weaknesses: Well-distributed musculature but overall average size for the position. Quicker than he is fast, projecting better inside than outside. If used outside, average size and speed will be bottled by NFL competition. Played so many roles at Boise State that Shakir will enter the NFL a bit raw as a route runner. Many receptions on screens, dump offs and zone-drags. Too many double catches. More of a pest than a punisher as a blocker.

Pro Comparison: Diontae Johnson, Steelers -- Cat-quick, courageous, and stronger than he looks, Shakir is precisely the type of versatile receiver and jet-sweep weapon NFL teams are chasing. It wouldn't be a surprise to see Shakir emerge as a quarterback's security blanket in much the same way the slightly smaller Johnson has for the Steelers.

Rating: 7.2/10 -- Above Average Starter

Similar to most of the others with the exception of the route-running e v a l. Most say he a very good route running WR.  Also good to see both punt and kickoff return experience 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I bet if we had drafted Shakir in the 3rd round and Bernard in the 5th round the consensus opinion on this board would be more positive.

Could not agree more.  So much of the concern appears to come from the perspective that we are in a competition to get an A grade in the Sunday morning draft report.  Beane is concerned about making the team stronger.  In round 3, he could find an OL for the future, but he has been tinkering with OL in FA, so maybe that can wait. Or he could go speedy WR, or he could look to strengthen the LBs, and the list goes on.  All needs, it's just how to go about it.  He opts to find a backup (at least for now) for Matt with what looks like possibly a Matt clone.  Outside of 13 secs and other season-ending moments, for me, when Matt went down two years ago, my stomach dropped.  And remember, for a game or two, it did not look like AJ was going to be the answer.  When he grabs Bernard, he addresses that need and starts a run at the position.  Hmm.  Then he sneaks up and grabs Shakir, who many grade much higher.  Over the last few years, every time a drumbeat starts that Beane is over his skis, he suddenly comes back with another wizard move.  

Edited by Enemarty
spelling
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.