Rd 5, Pick 148 (5): WR Khalil Shakir, Boise St

YoloinOhio

Love the pick...can do pretty much anything from jet sweeps to returns, play inside, outside, attack all 3 levels of the D...high character and super competitive it says

Have seen grades from round 2 to round 4 on him, comparison is Antwaan Randle-El

• Like (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I wonder how Isaiah McKenzie feels right now 😏

Even if he is just s slot, there is a clear upside, and above all, he is a WR! Makes me happy.

He can basically do everything MacKenzie does but probably better...

Lil Dirty is probably safe this year but next year maybe not.

This dude could supplant Davis at the #2 within a few years

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3

My Lindy's Draft guide magazine is incredibly complementary of him. I'll transcribe his scouting report:

Strengths: Highly versatile and lined up at flanker, inside at slot, and in the backfield. Impressive initial quickness at the line of scrimmage to gain freedom from press coverage, coordinating light feet with active, surprisingly strong hands to sway away dfeenders. Good agility and acceleration as a route runner, shaking defenders to consistently create separation. Keeps working as the play progresses. Quality receiver in the improvisational game, adjusting on the fly and coming back to the ball. Can catch with his body instead of hands but shows toughness after the catch. Willing to lower his shoulder and use leg drive to finish plays. Good vision and courage in traffic. Experience returning punts and kickoffs.

Weaknesses: Well-distributed musculature but overall average size for the position. Quicker than he is fast, projecting better inside than outside. If used outside, average size and speed will be bottled by NFL competition. Played so many roles at Boise State that Shakir will enter the NFL a bit raw as a route runner. Many receptions on screens, dump offs and zone-drags. Too many double catches. More of a pest than a punisher as a blocker.

Pro Comparison: Diontae Johnson, Steelers -- Cat-quick, courageous, and stronger than he looks, Shakir is precisely the type of versatile receiver and jet-sweep weapon NFL teams are chasing. It wouldn't be a surprise to see Shakir emerge as a quarterback's security blanket in much the same way the slightly smaller Johnson has for the Steelers.

Rating: 7.2/10 -- Above Average Starter

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 9

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

ESPN guys love the pick.  

McShay had a late 3rd on him. 

Ok.. I’m good!  I’ll shut up about WR now ha. 

Flipped to their coverage.  Yeah, they love him.

Dude looks fluid in his routes, and soft hands and tracks the ball well.  If he's a good kick returner?  Hell yeah baby!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.