Ken Dorsey's offense

Inigo Montoya

I'll guess an average of 5 more plays a game with 2 TE sets. 

Also don't see the IOL giving league leading protection time despite Kromer. Hoping they're at least average and no injuries to Bates/Saffold. 

Nice post by OP.

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I wish our schedule was back heavy instead of front heavy, like it is, for this reason (and tre). 

Thankfully dorsey and Josh aren't unfamiliar but they are on limited time to implement changes and dial in exactly who they are as an offense. Hoping for no hiccups, but I think it's unreasonable to expect pur offense to be clicking like they were in the two playoff games either

Unreasonable because essentially no offense has ever clicked that before? If so, then I agree. For at least 5 of those 8+ quarters, we saw perfect offensive production. Of course, there was some time in that KC game when they were NOT on fire. Think: running on 2nd AND 3rd down. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 4/30/2022 at 11:21 PM, Desert Bills Fan said:

Great post!
we still have WR’s Hodgins, Kumerow, Stevenson and Gentry on the roster too. 

at this point all of them appear to be training camp bodies.

Is very likely the Bills offense hits a lul either too start the year, or after the first few games when teams see their alterations from the past couple years.  Be patient if it happens, but they need to be full swing come the 2nd half leading to the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/30/2022 at 8:50 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

4.  With the return of Aaron Kromer I think we can expect an improvement in the running game.  The Bills had the #1 rushing attack in the NFL in 2015 and 2016 when Kromer was the O-line coach.  I don't think Buffalo will ever be a run first team as long as Josh is under center, but if we can become more effective in the run game that will pay huge dividends all around for the offense.  The Bills passed the ball 59.2% of the time last season, I expect that number to come down this season.

Not only that, no one will be messing with the Bills lawn furniture ☝️ 

• Haha (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I like the part where Barkley was talking about the other teams he was on asking how to stop Josh. "OK, we will just have to contain him... So how do we contain him?"

Edited by TBBills
  • Dislike 1

On 4/30/2022 at 9:50 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

Looking at the off season moves that have been made to this point I think there are a couple of things we can assume for Dorsey's offense

My responses

1. YES 

2.  Yes again

3.  Hopeful 

4.  Absolutely Kromer was my hero back when.

5.  Not sure, but hope Josh is thinking long game as he gains wisdom with age and exp. See below

6.  Hopeful and would take the Off to another level

7. By midseason perhaps. The O line will need some time in newish system.

Just an awesome post from you my friend

Cheers !!

Go Bills

`

On 5/17/2022 at 12:56 AM, BillsfaninChicago said:

Not only that, no one will be messing with the Bills lawn furniture ☝️ 

Do Buffalonians actually have Beach Chairs ?

But  a big upvote from me when we got Mr Kromer

• Thank you (+1) 1

Looking at the off season moves that have been made to this point I think there are a couple of things we can assume for Dorsey's offense

1.  We will probably see more two tight end sets with OJ Howard and Knox on the field.  Throw Diggs, Gabe, and now Cook out there, and I think Dorsey just created a nightmare for defenses.  I suspect this will overtake 11 personnel as the most common offensive set this year.

2.  With the failed run at McKissic, the signing of Duke Johnson, and now the drafting of Cook, I think we are going to see more swing passes, screens, and an overall increase in the involvement of the RBs in the passing game this year.  When the Bills do line up in 11 personnel, if defenses want to play two deep safeties to keep Josh from burning them over the top, they better hope their LBs can tackle because the underneath is going to be wide open and now we have some weapons who can truly exploit it.

3.  We have become a faster offense.  With the resigning and likely bigger role for McKenzie, the drafting of Cook, and Marquez Stevenson waiting in the wings, we should see a faster offense.  I hope we finally get to see some of Stevenson on offense this year.  He was buried on the depth chart last year, but with Sanders gone that bumps everyone up one spot on the depth chart.  Beane hasn't gone after one of the burner WRs in the draft so far.  That may be just because of how the draft fell to them, but there is also a possibility that the Bills think they already have their burner on the roster in Stevenson.  I think Crowder is also faster than Beasley and I see a career year for him this year with Josh slinging him the rock.  

4.  With the return of Aaron Kromer I think we can expect an improvement in the running game.  The Bills had the #1 rushing attack in the NFL in 2015 and 2016 when Kromer was the O-line coach.  I don't think Buffalo will ever be a run first team as long as Josh is under center, but if we can become more effective in the run game that will pay huge dividends all around for the offense.  The Bills passed the ball 59.2% of the time last season, I expect that number to come down this season.

5.  This is related to the point above, an improved running game should also diminish the wear and tear on our franchise QB.  I think called QB runs except for short yardage situations will become few and far between.  Josh will still do Josh things and take off when he sees an opening, but I would be shocked if he is the Bills' leading rusher again this year.

6.  This one is more of a guess on my part, but I think the next step in Josh's evolution is being able to completely change the play at the line of scrimmage based on the defensive look on any given play, ala Peyton Manning.  Dorsey is a former QB and I think he will trust Josh with more freedom on the field to make those calls than Daboll did.  We've all seen Josh can make any throw on the field, he is one of the best running QBs in the NFL, I think the next area we see him make a huge leap in is the mental aspect of the game.  This is year five for Josh and I think he is ready to take complete ownership of the offense.

7.  This final point is related to the previous one, with the limitless options of running an offense with Howard, Knox, Diggs, Davis, and Cook all on the field at the same time,  I can see the Bills' offense going more up tempo this year.  QBs love the hurry up and Dorsey is a QB at heart.  I think we will see the Bills go no huddle a lot more with Dorsey calling the plays.  It would be a new wrinkle that defenses have to worry about and I think Josh is ready to handle it. 

Wow, that analysis was brilliant, far better and more insightful than the beat writer hacks could assemble. I'm not sold on Stevenson's ball security or pass catching skills until I see it for an extended period. He also seems slight.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/30/2022 at 9:31 PM, Limeaid said:

Yes they do.  We used to go to Hamburg Beach and Evengola State Park regularly as well as several others in Angola.

Cant forget the short ride to Crystal Beach either in Canada 😃

• Like (+1) 1

1.  We will probably see more two tight end sets with OJ Howard and Knox on the field.  Throw Diggs, Gabe, and now Cook out there, and I think Dorsey just created a nightmare for defenses.  I suspect this will overtake 11 personnel as the most common offensive set this year.

2.  With the failed run at McKissic, the signing of Duke Johnson, and now the drafting of Cook, I think we are going to see more swing passes, screens, and an overall increase in the involvement of the RBs in the passing game this year.  When the Bills do line up in 11 personnel, if defenses want to play two deep safeties to keep Josh from burning them over the top, they better hope their LBs can tackle because the underneath is going to be wide open and now we have some weapons who can truly exploit it.

3.  We have become a faster offense.  With the resigning and likely bigger role for McKenzie, the drafting of Cook, and Marquez Stevenson waiting in the wings, we should see a faster offense.  I hope we finally get to see some of Stevenson on offense this year.  He was buried on the depth chart last year, but with Sanders gone that bumps everyone up one spot on the depth chart.  Beane hasn't gone after one of the burner WRs in the draft so far.  That may be just because of how the draft fell to them, but there is also a possibility that the Bills think they already have their burner on the roster in Stevenson.  I think Crowder is also faster than Beasley and I see a career year for him this year with Josh slinging him the rock.  

5.  This is related to the point above, an improved running game should also diminish the wear and tear on our franchise QB.  I think called QB runs except for short yardage situations will become few and far between.  Josh will still do Josh things and take off when he sees an opening, but I would be shocked if he is the Bills' leading rusher again this year.

6.  This one is more of a guess on my part, but I think the next step in Josh's evolution is being able to completely change the play at the line of scrimmage based on the defensive look on any given play, ala Peyton Manning.  Dorsey is a former QB and I think he will trust Josh with more freedom on the field to make those calls than Daboll did.  We've all seen Josh can make any throw on the field, he is one of the best running QBs in the NFL, I think the next area we see him make a huge leap in is the mental aspect of the game.  This is year five for Josh and I think he is ready to take complete ownership of the offense.

7.  This final point is related to the previous one, with the limitless options of running an offense with Howard, Knox, Diggs, Davis, and Cook all on the field at the same time,  I can see the Bills' offense going more up tempo this year.  QBs love the hurry up and Dorsey is a QB at heart.  I think we will see the Bills go no huddle a lot more with Dorsey calling the plays.  It would be a new wrinkle that defenses have to worry about and I think Josh is ready to handle it. 

They threw a lot on Josh's plate very early in his career. I'm pretty sure he's been allowed to do the bolded since at least year 2

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

Cant forget the short ride to Crystal Beach either in Canada 😃

No. I loved the comet.  My brother and I went on it when we just hit height limit.  I loved it and his pants had a yellow stain.  I went back on alone and got in front row with person buckling me in asking if I was sure I want to ride in first row.

Our family went there regularly and later went to one to Fantasy Island.  I see it is now being replaced with Niagara Amusement Park and Splash World.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/entertainment/splash-world-on-grand-island-opens-saturday/71-60e017ab-0d61-42a8-8556-377feea33f3f

Niagara Amusement Park and Splash World on Grand Island is slated to open some attractions on Saturday. It will be open weekends only through June 19, before it opens daily starting June 24.

They forgot to add a domed stadium for the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Inigo, you outdid yourself on this thread.  Great job.  I too agree we will increase 12 personnel and screens along with the running game.  I basically was as I read you’re post, said right, right, and right.

Kromer, made a dumb decision a few years ago, but was a good line coach.  McD has all, but said he wanted more effective running last year.  They now invested in resources at RB, and the line.

Jeremy, Howard’s partner has repeatedly stated we only had 7-8% 12 personnel last year, and I called in and countered to him, they basically had Sweeney last year.  Howard is an upgrade.  I’m not saying will Allen will become Tua and have a ton of 12 personnel, but it reasonable to believe we might run 12 personnel maybe 17-20% of the time.  It keeps opposing defenses always wondering what we are going to do.

Enjoyable read OP. 

I think many in this thread are overstating  the OJ Howard effect though.  Howard is an upgrade at TE2, not a scheme changing phenom.  Howard's drops, inconsistent effort, and pathetic blocking had him third on TB's depth chart.  I'd rather see Crowder/McK/Cook/Shakir getting more time in the lineup than OJ.  Give Howard his chance to show he's improved when Knox is hurt or in week 17 when we're playing our second string.

As for Dorsey one of his biggest attributes was bringing continuity.  Keep Josh's trajectory going.  Add in some minor changes in play calling and hurry up.  This offense was already potent, use some minor changes to unleash it.

11 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Enjoyable read OP. 

I think many in this thread are overstating  the OJ Howard effect though.  Howard is an upgrade at TE2, not a scheme changing phenom.  Howard's drops, inconsistent effort, and pathetic blocking had him third on TB's depth chart.  I'd rather see Crowder/McK/Cook/Shakir getting more time in the lineup than OJ.  Give Howard his chance to show he's improved when Knox is hurt or in week 17 when we're playing our second string.

As for Dorsey one of his biggest attributes was bringing continuity.  Keep Josh's trajectory going.  Add in some minor changes in play calling and hurry up.  This offense was already potent, use some minor changes to unleash it.

So not at all intrigued by the idea of some creative two tight end sets?

6 hours ago, StHustle said:

So not at all intrigued by the idea of some creative two tight end sets?

I will be interested in what Dorsey does, lots to work with. 

Two TE sets are down on the list for me though because Howard hasn't been a prolific blocker and is our only real backup TE in what are now very long seasons.   We have excellent depth at the slot - Crowder/McK/Shakir, I would like to see them heavily involved.   And now a new pass catching RB.  The two TE sets would take one of those players off the field.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.